HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2017 Offseason Roster Discussion IV - Langkow's Revenge

Old
07-26-2017, 02:15 PM
rt
DingDongTippIsGone!

vCash: 500
Okay we've got the coaches all figured out. Now how about that one last trade Chayka keeps taking about?

07-26-2017, 04:57 PM
OT OEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Okay we've got the coaches all figured out. Now how about that one last trade Chayka keeps taking about?
It's gotta be for a number 2 RD. It's the only thing that makes sense in my opinion.

OT OEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2017, 05:42 PM
moosemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT OEL View Post
It's gotta be for a number 2 RD. It's the only thing that makes sense in my opinion.
I have a feeling it is going to be for a right handed winger. Just a hunch

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2017, 06:30 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Are you comparing Duke with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel? Stop being a homer. Duke is not in the same class. Never has been and never will be.
No.... he is the same class of player to thrive in that system.

BTW.... you are the LAST person who should be throwing out the "homer" badge at anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
Except that his best year's results was under the exact same system as last year's.

It's all up to Duclair. Tocchet may be able to do a better job motivating Duke than Tippett did, but in the end it's the player's responsibility to sort out his own headspace.
True..... he had the same "system" both years but got thrown around on different lines the second year.

After coming back from Tucson he was playing much better, but was getting snake bit all to hell. But the difference I noticed was he didn't completely quit on himself.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Ebb
The mAd Opiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT OEL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeister View Post
I have a feeling it is going to be for a right handed winger. Just a hunch
I hope the "big" trade is for a RHS (#2/#1 RW), but we still need that #2 RHD as well. Perhaps the "big" trade will include both? I'm not sure what we'd have to give up in such a move.

Ebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2017, 10:05 PM
rt
DingDongTippIsGone!

I could see Scott Allen advocating for Demers. That'd be good with me if the acquisition cost is low.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Muppet
7th Round Pick

vCash: 934
Yep, my money is on Demers.

Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2017, 10:17 PM
lanky

I think Chayka's looking at a LW for RW trade. I'm guessing that it won't come together this year.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:13 AM
RABBIT
Do it for Makaveli

This may not be well received because he's not known for offense, but what about Erik Gudbranson? Shoots right, but more heavy hitting, stay-at-home D-man. He's mean as **** too.

We've got OEL who's the jack of all trade, exceeds in offense.
Chychrun who leans more toward the offensive side, but also plays a sound defense
and we've got Goose, who plays pretty evenly both ways, maybe leaning more towards defense.

Nik Hjalmarsson known for shutdown role.
Schenn is mainly known for his shutdown role.
And if we had Gudbranson, he will be known mainly for his shutdown role.

Clendening and KConn as extras.

So 3 defensemen capable of offense and defense, 3 defensemen who focus mainly on shut down and physicality, and 2 fringe extras. With our high skilled forwards on offense, it might be nice to add Gudbranson who can provide more security on defense, and who will protect his teammates. I think he would be an ideal Murphy replacement, and still young.

Was offered to Florida for (of all people) Jason Demers, but Demers rejected the trade. So VAN is open to trading him. I really like the idea.

United States Air Force, T.A.C.P. Special Forces
"Death Before Dishonor"
RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Ultra Mega Chychrun
Arise Chychrun!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBIT View Post
This may not be well received because he's not known for offense, but what about Erik Gudbranson? Shoots right, but more heavy hitting, stay-at-home D-man. He's mean as **** too.

We've got OEL who's the jack of all trade, exceeds in offense.
Chychrun who leans more toward the offensive side, but also plays a sound defense
and we've got Goose, who plays pretty evenly both ways, maybe leaning more towards defense.

Nik Hjalmarsson known for shutdown role.
Schenn is mainly known for his shutdown role.
And if we had Gudbranson, he will be known mainly for his shutdown role.

Clendening and KConn as extras.

So 3 defensemen capable of offense and defense, 3 defensemen who focus mainly on shut down and physicality, and 2 fringe extras. With our high skilled forwards on offense, it might be nice to add Gudbranson who can provide more security on defense, and who will protect his teammates. I think he would be an ideal Murphy replacement, and still young.

Was offered to Florida for (of all people) Jason Demers, but Demers rejected the trade. So VAN is open to trading him. I really like the idea.
If the cost is low it could be a good add, but I don't think we got clandening to have him as an extra.

I think any move we make has Schenn going the other way, and is Gubranson a big upgrade over Schenn? I know the general opinion of him here is pretty low, but I really like what he brings as a bottom pairing physical shutdown guy.

Ultra Mega Chychrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:37 AM
RABBIT
Do it for Makaveli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Mega Chychrun View Post
If the cost is low it could be a good add, but I don't think we got clandening to have him as an extra.

I think any move we make has Schenn going the other way, and is Gubranson a big upgrade over Schenn? I know the general opinion of him here is pretty low, but I really like what he brings as a bottom pairing physical shutdown guy.
I was actually very impressed with Schenn. Any Ex-Toronto player has a bad rep around HF. Phil Kessel did too. I was expecting a traffic cone, and what I saw was a motivated, hard hitting, and smart defensemen. Love him as a bottom guy. That being said, I would probably trade him for Gudbranson if I needed to, but I'm not entirely convinced Clendening is going to be full time. If he was brought here for a full time role, then I don't imagine we're shopping for defense at all. So I would love to have Gudbranson and Schenn.

RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Ultra Mega Chychrun
Arise Chychrun!

Quote:
I was actually very impressed with Schenn. Any Ex-Toronto player has a bad rep around HF. Phil Kessel did too. I was expecting a traffic cone, and what I saw was a motivated, hard hitting, and smart defensemen. Love him as a bottom guy. That being said, I would probably trade him for Gudbranson if I needed to, but I'm not entirely convinced Clendening is going to be full time. If he was brought here for a full time role, then I don't imagine we're shopping for defense at all. So I would love to have Gudbranson and Schenn.
Agree completely on Schenn, I was expecting Grossman 2.0, instead we got a solid defensive physical presence for our bottom pair, with underrated skating and puck skills imo.

If the plan isn't for Clandening to be an everyday player then yeah sign me up, I just get the feeling that one of our selling points to him was playing time. I could very well be wrong, and in that scenario I'd agree, pull the trigger on Gudbranson as long as his contract is reasonable and the cost isn't too high.

Old
Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Ebb
The mAd Opiner

Quote:
Agree completely on Schenn, I was expecting Grossman 2.0, instead we got a solid defensive physical presence for our bottom pair, with underrated skating and puck skills imo.

If the plan isn't for Clandening to be an everyday player then yeah sign me up, I just get the feeling that one of our selling points to him was playing time. I could very well be wrong, and in that scenario I'd agree, pull the trigger on Gudbranson as long as his contract is reasonable and the cost isn't too high.
I'd be fine with adding Gudbranson as well. The Coyotes can probably carry two D-men as healthy scratches and switch them in as needed (depending on how they do and the opponents faced). If one of Calndening or Gudbranson excels, consider moving the other at some point (in a larger trade package)

Connauton is pretty much an injury fill-in, so he'll probably get a fair amount of ice-time anyway

Old
Yesterday, 02:38 PM
rt
DingDongTippIsGone!

In a perfect world Gudbranson pulls a Schenn and becomes decent. In a perfect world Schenn does not regress to his norm and continues to be decent. If either doesn't happen, it's still pretty ugly. Especially with Clendening being a total wild card.

Old
Yesterday, 02:59 PM
Ultra Mega Chychrun
Arise Chychrun!

Quote:
In a perfect world Gudbranson pulls a Schenn and becomes decent. In a perfect world Schenn does not regress to his norm and continues to be decent. If either doesn't happen, it's still pretty ugly. Especially with Clendening being a total wild card.
Did Schenn become decent though, or was he always decent? I didn't follow him much before he came here but it seems like he could have just been getting crapped on because of his high draft status and him not developing into a 1st pairing defender.

Old
Yesterday, 03:31 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
He's hardly the first decent player who got publically slagged for his draft status and contract.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:16 PM
Ebb
The mAd Opiner

Quote:
Did Schenn become decent though, or was he always decent? I didn't follow him much before he came here but it seems like he could have just been getting crapped on because of his high draft status and him not developing into a 1st pairing defender.
Prior to us signing him, I was interested in adding him to the team, so he must not have been too bad (for what my opinion is worth--which is probably not much ).

Old
Yesterday, 05:05 PM
XX
It's finally over

Quote:
He's a stay at home guy because he can't complete a pass out of the zone to save his own life. I'd rather play Clendening full time.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Ultra Mega Chychrun
Arise Chychrun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebb View Post
Prior to us signing him, I was interested in adding him to the team, so he must not have been too bad (for what my opinion is worth--which is probably not much ).
Don't sell yourself short, I think many (not here in board 40) see his high draft pedigree and think because he's not a top pairing dman he's a full bust. It's hard for some to see the middle ground that exists between out of the nhl bad, and just not what he was projected to be.

Old
Yesterday, 08:08 PM
Coyote dropings
Rookie User

Quote:

Doubt he's an upgrade. General opinion would be incorrect, in that case.

Quote:
I was actually very impressed with Schenn. Any Ex-Toronto player has a bad rep around HF. Phil Kessel did too.
Quote:
Agree completely on Schenn,
Yep

Quote:
Always decent imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
He's hardly the first decent player who got publically slagged for his draft status and contract.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebb View Post
Your opinion was spot on, imo

Coyote dropings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:40 PM
rt
DingDongTippIsGone!

Schenn didn't become okay until LA.

Old
Yesterday, 09:25 PM
SR

Sounds like we're still looking for another center.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:30 PM
Coyote dropings
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I think that's a great idea. What makes you think we are?

Coyote dropings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:25 PM
Jamieh

Schenn was better than OK in Toronto but when the trade for JVR was a possibility see ya. He wasn't what was expected from a 5th overall pick but he was a decent player. I thought he could have used some AHL time to work on skating and positioning but he was still fine.
Quote:
Schenn didn't become okay until LA.

Jamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:48 PM
rt
DingDongTippIsGone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Richardson must be done for then? I can't think of another reason.