HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karl Alzner

Old
04-27-2017, 01:12 PM
FloridaCap
Beaglechuk Mania

vCash: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
You guys both realize that Alzner openly admitted he had trouble skating the entire season, correct? He wasn't good all year. He knows it. Trotz knows it. Anyone who watched him play knows it. It's unfortunate and it sucks but such is life. Being able to skate is some what important in the game of ice hockey. I hate saying it but Alzner has been a liability all season.
Yeah, it's unfortunate. I never even saw it all season, because I'm used to Alzner being so solid that my eyes just kind of skip over him.

Only way he's getting back in the lineup is due to injury, or if we dress 7D.

FloridaCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 01:32 PM
twabby

vCash: 500
If Schmidt plays at his current level or close there is no good argument to be made for removing him. I don't think it's coincidence that Carlson started being more effective when he was paired with Schmidt and away from Alzner.

Maybe it turns out that Schmidt falls apart against an elite center like Crosby or Malkin, but you have to at least let it play out given 88 and 27's respective seasons. I'd find it much more logical for 27 to replace 44 if 44 struggles like he did last postseason.

twabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 01:42 PM
chilimac

Actually, to my eyes, Alzner looked far better with 88 when 74 missed the last few games of the reg season. so.... I guess its a matter of perspective...

And to throw out my other 2 cents... I went to my first practice session at Kettler yesterday. yes, i've avoided them because of my great disdain for traffic,and i was not disappointed,the traffic getting there was horrid,to put it mildy. that said, i went to more practices at Piney then i could shake a stick at 'back in the day'-it was a 5 minute walk down the hill. Those were the days...

my UNofficial practice notes... Oshie showed no ill effects from the last game against toronto and... Alzner looked very 'comfortable' on the ice, far more 'comfortable' than Wilson did, unfortunately. We shall see...

chilimac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 02:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by twabby View Post
If Schmidt plays at his current level or close there is no good argument to be made for removing him. I don't think it's coincidence that Carlson started being more effective when he was paired with Schmidt and away from Alzner.

Maybe it turns out that Schmidt falls apart against an elite center like Crosby or Malkin, but you have to at least let it play out given 88 and 27's respective seasons. I'd find it much more logical for 27 to replace 44 if 44 struggles like he did last postseason.
Schmidt isn't going to fall apart against Malkin, but he sure as hell can be overpowered by him. If Schmidt gets matched up with Malkin in front of Holtby, Malkin will get all the rebounds he can reach.

That's the down side. Having Schmidt in that role. There is otherwise good upside as well.

As for 44 and 27. 44 brings the pain. Sure, if he is sucking wind, you take him out. If he is not, he stays because he does damage and creates doubt. I realize some see little value in him blowing up skill players across the middle, but its there. Ask Orlov and Niskanen about this. Both do it with regularity and Orpik does it the best and with the greatest impact.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 04:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
You guys both realize that Alzner openly admitted he had trouble skating the entire season, correct? He wasn't good all year. He knows it. Trotz knows it. Anyone who watched him play knows it. It's unfortunate and it sucks but such is life. Being able to skate is some what important in the game of ice hockey. I hate saying it but Alzner has been a liability all season.
I had to reread the article to be sure, because I didn't remember him saying "he had trouble skating". He doesn't say that. He says some days he's stiff and he has trouble moving. Not the same, but moving on.

Like I said before, if he's healthy, he'll be in the lineup IMO.

I worry about Schmidt getting manhandled in this series. We'll see, obviously I'm hoping he doesn't and we're successful. I expect the Pens to target Schmidt and try to get Malkin's line out there against him as much as possible.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 04:36 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I had to reread the article to be sure, because I didn't remember him saying "he had trouble skating". He doesn't say that. He says some days he's stiff and he has trouble moving. Not the same, but moving on.

Like I said before, if he's healthy, he'll be in the lineup IMO.

I worry about Schmidt getting manhandled in this series. We'll see, obviously I'm hoping he doesn't and we're successful. I expect the Pens to target Schmidt and try to get Malkin's line out there against him as much as possible.
He hasn't been healthy in over a year. I don't have a lot of faith he's going to heal in the next two weeks...

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 04:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
He hasn't been healthy in over a year. I don't have a lot of faith he's going to heal in the next two weeks...
Your version of healthy likely differs from Trotz's.

Old
04-27-2017, 04:38 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Your version of healthy likely differs from Trotz's.
My version of healthy is he can play hockey and do everything he needs to do without restriction. By Karl's admission, that hasn't been the case.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 04:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
My version of healthy is he can play hockey and do everything he needs to do without restriction. By Karl's admission, that hasn't been the case.
"Some days" was his admission.

Old
04-27-2017, 05:27 PM
txpd

I get that Chris Clark, Tom Poti, Brooks Laich feeling now when I think if Alzner.

I would not be surprised that this is really the groin rather than an upper body and that the Caps are saving him for when they need him. Right now they don't. If he only has a finite number of quality minutes in him for a playoff run, they don't need to burn those right now.

I would guess that if Orpik or Schmidt are getting destroyed or if someone gets injured that its Alzner that goes in. Not Chorney

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote