HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Draft Discussion - Part I

Old
Yesterday, 08:55 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I'd happily take Patrick if we win the #2 slot. He's not that exciting to watch, still more impressive than Vilardi who is the clear #3 among NHL scouts.
I always remember the look on Chayka' face when sportsnet panned to him after Villardi scored in top prospects game. I would suggest we have him high on our list.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:59 AM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

:shrugs: I like Vilardi a lot and I think he'd be a tremendous compliment to our prospect pool. A dream scenario for me is that we snag Vilardi at 3 and Robert Thomas falls to the MIN pick and we snap him up too.

Yesterday, 09:42 AM
PhoPhan

I'd absolutely take Vilardi over Patrick. Much stronger and better along the boards, plus a better shot. Hockey sense is a toss-up, though Patrick is probably a more adept playmaker. Effort, especially away from the puck, gives Vilardi the clear advantage in my eyes.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:05 AM
BUX7PHX

I feel like the worst case scenario is one where we pick 4th or 5th, and teams start avoiding Patrick. The value is good there, but I like players like Vilardi and Hischier slightly more.

I think that once you get to pick #4, a lot of teams are going to start wanting to position themselves for one of the defensemen, or you start to see teams ready to go all-in on the players with high upside, like Mittelstadt. I still think there is plenty of room to still get a player between #8 and #12 that you had up there at 4, 5, or 6 on your draft board.

My ideal scenario for the AZ pick would be to drop down from #4 or #5 to #8-10, and pretty much take BPA, where I still think that one of Glass, Necas, Rasmussen, or Tippett will be available. As for the MIN pick, I could see us moving back up or packaging that pick together for a player.

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:54 AM
hbk

Someone is going to want to move up to take a D. Makar or Heiskanen. We may also be dabbing our toes in those waters if we drop far in draft and Big 2 and Vilardi are gone.

Would u trade 6 or 7 Ov pick for Dumba? Trouba is a no brainer but he may not be available. Overpay for Myers? I'd prefer to do something aroun MIN pick for Myers to be honest.

Refresh my memory on Marleau and his ability to play C? He's not coming back to Sharks but I'm not advocating rushing out with a 5 year deal. Pominville is available for cheap. Sharks would likely eat part of Boedker deal at this point which isn't great but at $2-3M I'm not writing it off.

Old
Yesterday, 12:59 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Someone is going to want to move up to take a D. Makar or Heiskanen. We may also be dabbing our toes in those waters if we drop far in draft and Big 2 and Vilardi are gone.

Would u trade 6 or 7 Ov pick for Dumba? Trouba is a no brainer but he may not be available. Overpay for Myers? I'd prefer to do something aroun MIN pick for Myers to be honest.

Refresh my memory on Marleau and his ability to play C? He's not coming back to Sharks but I'm not advocating rushing out with a 5 year deal. Pominville is available for cheap. Sharks would likely eat part of Boedker deal at this point which isn't great but at $2-3M I'm not writing it off.
6th or 7th OA for Dumba just doesn't do it for me. There is no guarantee that he winds up leaps and bounds ahead of what we already have in DeAngelo, from an offensive standpoint. At that rate, I would rather offer MIN back its 1st round pick for Scandella and move Goligoski to the right side.

I just don't see too many RHDs that I would be satisfied by the price paid. It would have to be some sort of major deal involving multiple pieces - don't think that Arizona is quite in that mindset. Due to the exemption list for the Vegas expansion draft, I just think it will be easier to find a C (even a true 1C) than it will be to find a RHD (even a true 1D). Teams will likely go out of their way to protect the 4th D than rely on the 7th F to protect, but that is my mindset and may not be the actual case.

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:39 PM
WesternHockeyScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Injured basically every season going back to midget. Guy shouldn't be #1. I can tolerate that if you're picking in the back 9 of the first round. First overall? **** that.
Goes all the way back before pee wee. I remember his bantam draft the question was "can this kid stay healthy?" Because he had been hurt every year of his youth hockey career leading up to it. He's definitely a fraftable kid, and if a team had multiple first round picks he's worth the gamble, but if I were a GM I would be hesitant to squander a rare top 5 pick on a kid who may never lace up skates in the NHL

WesternHockeyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 06:45 PM
nki
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Does anyone have any information on Lias Andersson?

I would like for him to be available with the MIN pick, but honestly, I could see him going far earlier. Would anyone be willing to trade back and try grabbing Andersson between #10 and 15?

Can't put my finger on it, but he just seems like the type of player that teams will regret not having a little higher on their draft boards when looking back. I know we already have a ton of left handed C prospects, but I don't see that as a huge issue. Worst case scenario is we have a second Dvorak on the roster.
Lias is a kid that is a pretty safe bet to be a useful NHL player in some capacity. Could be a solid middle 6 player for any team and can play both center as well as wing. Question is whether teams have a guy they feel has a higher upside ahead of him. For us he's been a safe 1st rounder all season long, although we have a few guys ahead of him in Europe who we feel possess higher upside (can see our latest ranking of him here within our draft guide preview). That said, in seeing him play multiple times over 2 years, he's a clearly a likeable player that has a good chance of finding a spot in the NHL in a reasonable timeframe.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:28 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Has us taking Miro Heiskanen at 4

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:30 PM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
Has us taking Miro Heiskanen at 4

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/
They just do an average ranking of a bunch of different online lists and plug teams in based on standings in the regular season. Nothing personal.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:51 PM
hbk

Heiskenin is a safe pick. He's top D. Just doesn't fit an immediate need for us as he shoots left. Although whether or not RD / LD "fit" as a deciding factor given OEL is a potentialUFA by time Heiskenin is ready makes that less important.

My feeling though is we target a C with our first rounder and hope for someone else to drop on D. Depends on lottery.

Old
Yesterday, 10:58 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
My feeling though is we target a C with our first rounder and hope for someone else to drop on D. Depends on lottery.
I'd agree, but as for the latter, I'm not that convinced there's that big of a dropoff between the first tier D of Heiskanen/Makar/Liljegren and the second tier of Valimaki/Hague/Foote/Timmins/Brannstrom to necessitate a move-up. And given that our strength in scouting in the OHL, I have to think Timmins is on our radar.

IPreferPi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:55 PM
lanky

I always prefer forwards in the top ten.

I like Mittelstadt/Necas + Timmins/Brannstrom more than Liljegren/Makar + Lind/Ratcliffe

Actually, if we got Makar + Ratcliffe I'd be really flipping mad.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 01:26 AM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Vilardi+Thomas for me please!

Old
Today, 07:59 AM
PhoPhan

I'd be fine taking two forwards in the first round, but I'm thinking it's likely that the BPA at the Wild pick will be a defenseman, and there will be loads of good forwards available at the 35th pick, too. It would be ideal to come away with two forwards and a defenseman with those top three picks, but you have to let the chips fall where they fall.

Realistically, I think I'd be most excited by something like Mittelstadt, Glass or Vilardi with the first pick. With the second pick, I'd like Brannstrom or Timmins on defense or a forward like Vesalainen, Lind, or Gadjovich. Maybe roll the dice on Kostin if he's still there. With the third pick, if they've taken two forwards, I'd lean toward Jokiharju or Gildon, and if they've already nabbed a defenseman, there are a lot of interesting wings worth looking at: Lodnia, Ikonen, Chytil, Ratcliffe, Safin, Morand, et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
I'd agree, but as for the latter, I'm not that convinced there's that big of a dropoff between the first tier D of Heiskanen/Makar/Liljegren and the second tier of Valimaki/Hague/Foote/Timmins/Brannstrom to necessitate a move-up. And given that our strength in scouting in the OHL, I have to think Timmins is on our radar.
Timmins is extremely underrated and brings an interesting skill set not shared by the rest of that crop. He's the only first round caliber defenseman with a consistent mean streak as far as I can tell. He reminds me a bit of Charlie McAvoy, who was my favorite defenseman in last year's draft. He's also a righty. Smart, committed defensive player who moves the puck efficiently up ice.

For me, Heiskanen is head and shoulders above the other defensemen in this draft and the only one with real #1 potential, though I think he'll end up a good #2/great #3. After that, I've got Brannstrom, Makar, Liljegren, Valimaki and Timmins all in the same tier. Very different players with different risks involved, but I see them all as similarly valuable. Henri Jokiharju is just outside that crop, though I'd wager he ends up better than at least one or two of those guys (just hard to say which ones). Safe, solid defender. After that, my next tier has Max Gildon, Nicolas Hague, Urho Vaakanainen and Cal Foote, who all look like #4 guys to me long term, though Gildon might have 2/3 upside.

As always, I'm intrigued by a few dark horses from the USNTDP. David Farrance and Scooter Brickey. Josh Brook, Jonathan Smart and Pierre-Olivier Joseph are also interesting names to keep an eye on in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd avoid Eemeli Rasanen or Robin Salo until probably the late 3rd or early 4th.

Last edited by PhoPhan: Today at 08:06 AM.
PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 08:23 AM
lanky

With the Oilers being up 2-0 and heading home for the next two, it's looking a lot more likely that the MIN pick will move from 23 to 22.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 08:29 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'd be fine taking two forwards in the first round, but I'm thinking it's likely that the BPA at the Wild pick will be a defenseman, and there will be loads of good forwards available at the 35th pick, too. It would be ideal to come away with two forwards and a defenseman with those top three picks, but you have to let the chips fall where they fall.

Realistically, I think I'd be most excited by something like Mittelstadt, Glass or Vilardi with the first pick. With the second pick, I'd like Brannstrom or Timmins on defense or a forward like Vesalainen, Lind, or Gadjovich. Maybe roll the dice on Kostin if he's still there. With the third pick, if they've taken two forwards, I'd lean toward Jokiharju or Gildon, and if they've already nabbed a defenseman, there are a lot of interesting wings worth looking at: Lodnia, Ikonen, Chytil, Ratcliffe, Safin, Morand, et al.

Timmins is extremely underrated and brings an interesting skill set not shared by the rest of that crop. He's the only first round caliber defenseman with a consistent mean streak as far as I can tell. He reminds me a bit of Charlie McAvoy, who was my favorite defenseman in last year's draft. He's also a righty. Smart, committed defensive player who moves the puck efficiently up ice.

For me, Heiskanen is head and shoulders above the other defensemen in this draft and the only one with real #1 potential, though I think he'll end up a good #2/great #3. After that, I've got Brannstrom, Makar, Liljegren, Valimaki and Timmins all in the same tier. Very different players with different risks involved, but I see them all as similarly valuable. Henri Jokiharju is just outside that crop, though I'd wager he ends up better than at least one or two of those guys (just hard to say which ones). Safe, solid defender. After that, my next tier has Max Gildon, Nicolas Hague, Urho Vaakanainen and Cal Foote, who all look like #4 guys to me long term, though Gildon might have 2/3 upside.

As always, I'm intrigued by a few dark horses from the USNTDP. David Farrance and Scooter Brickey. Josh Brook, Jonathan Smart and Pierre-Olivier Joseph are also interesting names to keep an eye on in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd avoid Eemeli Rasanen or Robin Salo until probably the late 3rd or early 4th.
Man, that's a good post. Where do you fine the time to watch, evaluate all these players.

Jakey53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 12:11 PM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

I'd like Hischier/Vilardi/Necas/Glass with the first pick, Thomas with the second pick, and Lodnia with the third.

Old
Today, 01:32 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

With our 1st: Hischier, Glass, Mittlestadt, Vilardi, Necas, Petersson, Suzuki
With MIN's 1st: Timmins, Thomas, Lind, Brannstrom, Vesalainen
With our 2nd: Yamamoto, Comtois, Lodnia, Jokiharju, Anderson-Dolan, Walsh

IPreferPi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 02:00 PM
XX
One More

Don't really see the appeal of Lodnia from what I've seen in Otters games.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote