HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst NHL Goalie Ever

Old
05-26-2017, 06:15 AM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Jack Campbell is actually really talented and by way of injury and mental...mental blockage, I don't know, crafted himself into a minor leaguer...he had DiPietro upaide almost and just couldn't put it together...he also got put in some tough spots in the minors, which aren't for this thread...but he wasn't short on talent...

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Devan Dubnyk, in his disastrous season in Edmonton, gave me the worst display of goaltending I have seen.

Yes, I know he was a mental basket case from playing behind that terrible Oilers' dcorp. but, you still would never believe what you saw. He literally could not stop a beach ball. there was no shot too easy that he couldn't miss. Teams were game planning the Oilers by shooting from anywhere, anytime because they knew Dubnyk was shaky on every shot.

I've never seen anything like it.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Doctor No

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
He literally could not stop a beach ball.
He stopped 791 actual pucks in his last Oilers season, so I'd be willing to be that he literally *could* stop a beach ball.

Anyhow, 90% of goaltending is half mental. Situations play a great role. And yes, Dubnyk looked done mentally that year.

Old
05-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
He stopped 791 actual pucks in his last Oilers season, so I'd be willing to be that he literally *could* stop a beach ball.

Anyhow, 90% of goaltending is half mental. Situations play a great role. And yes, Dubnyk looked done mentally that year.
the Eakins swarm did him in.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:26 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
He literally could not stop a beach ball.
Another day on HF-Boards, another misuse of the word "literally".

Dubnyk was great one year for Edmonton, and then terrible the next. It was one of those things where you knew every time they had a 1 goal lead in the last two minutes, they were going to blow it. Not always his fault, obviously, but it really goes to show how much confidence affects an athlete playing that position.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Nino33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
The worst I've ever seen is probably Warren "score-against-me" Skorodenski (1982-1988).

Only played 35 regular season games and 2 playoffs. Had a solid .786 save% in the playoffs, and a .720% with Cup-champion Edmonton in 1987-88.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Odd choice. He led the NHL in save percentage in 1984-85 and retired with a .896 career save percentage in an era where a .900 save percentage was considered ungodly.
You must seriously never have seen him play HaHa; his nickname really was "score-against-me" and he was a noticeably less capable goaltender than his peers

Skordenski was a backup, even in 1984-85 (Bannerman started 60 of the 80 games)

Yes he retired with 0.896 save percentage, but he only played 32 games in his 5 year NHL career (27 of them in 1985-85)

Hockey Reference gives "players with careers of similar quality and shape" as Troy Gamble, Yann Danis and Bill Oleschuk

Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Jarmo Myllys. 4-27-1 with the Northstars and Sharks, with a 5.23 GAA and a .859 save percentage...

Pooor Myllys. He was great in Europe and a mainstay on the national team. But given those two teams, hardly surprising.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:40 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Pooor Myllys. He was great in Europe and a mainstay on the national team. But given those two teams, hardly surprising.
Well, there's certainly a sample size problem here (mostly in Minnesota), but Jeff Hackett and Jon Casey had pretty good results on those teams when they were Myllys' teammates.

Hell, Hackett's 91-92 is probably a great under-the-radar season all things considered, and Casey had (by far) his best seasons during the exact three seasons where Myllys was his teammate.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Nino33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanf View Post
That seems odd. Lessard had multiyear 250.000 $ per year contract. Laskoski started the season with tryout contract and was paid 300 $ per game.

I thought that Lessard had meltdown in preseason, but that didnt seem to be the case.

The Los Angeles Times

Looking at Doctor Nos Kings game-by-game performance chart from that season it seems that Laskoski had decent start for a season.

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/LOS1982.html

Nothing really explains why they suddenly decided to throw Lessard out of the lineup at the start of the season.

In mid season Kings brought Vachon as goalie coach. But at the same time they acquired Markus Mattsson from Minnesota. (One of the conditions of that trade was that Kings have to send Lessard to North Stars minor team for the rest of the season)
I never knew that! I never knew you could do such a thing (have such a condition in a trade)

I just came across the post about Laskoski and I had no recollection of him! HaHa (I read LA in 82-83 and immediately thought where was Mario Lessard)

Old
05-27-2017, 10:52 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
You must seriously never have seen him play HaHa; his nickname really was "score-against-me" and he was a noticeably less capable goaltender than his peers

Skordenski was a backup, even in 1984-85 (Bannerman started 60 of the 80 games)
Terry Sawchuk he was not.

Pretty awesome skull-mask, though!:

Warren at his "finest" at the 3:00 mark (goal by Glenn Anderson):

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Nino33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
It was I think a lot harder to come from Europe to NA back then for a goalie...I think what hurt Myllys a lot is his lack of size (5'9") given his butterfly style and his tendency to play deep in his net/his lack of ability to "come out and cut down the angle"

He was maybe just a bit small for an NHL butterfly goaltender (Hall/Esposito were 5'11" and Roy was 6'0" & both Esposito/Roy came out to cut down the angles regularly)

Old
05-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Devonator

That guy for Boston that let Sittler get 10 points that night.....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Doctor No

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
That guy for Boston that let Sittler get 10 points that night.....
Dave Reece? Nah. Reece was actually playing pretty well prior to that game:

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/reece.html

He also already knew that he was headed back to Springfield before the game, since Gerry Cheevers had returned from the WHA (and was on the bench for the Toronto loss):

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/BOS1975.html

Trivia - Gerry Cheevers wore #30 for his Boston career, and Dave Reece wore #30 for the Bruins in 1975-75. Without looking at my site, what did the team do regarding sweater numbers upon Cheevers' return?

Anyhow, the Toronto loss was a total Boston team effort. And if you're going to judge every NHL player by their worst statistical game:

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote