HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

McQuaid to Toronto via LV

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2017, 12:41 PM
BBB24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
No thank you. Tough guys like him are no longer a necessity in the league.

I'd rather a skilled puck mover on the bottom pairing because it's not like they're ever going to face tough D-zone starts/top lines.
Lol, the leafs protect Matt Marten, ok then

Last edited by BBB24: 06-19-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old
06-19-2017, 01:25 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

I'd rather a skilled puck mover on the bottom pairing because it's not like they're ever going to face tough D-zone starts/top lines.
The thing about McQuaid is that he can play, he is a good bottom pairing defensive player who also kills penalties. He's not just a tough guy.

There are two things to complain about with McQuaid in my opinion.

First and foremost he can and has basically injured himself playing hard. Secondly, he is a little overpaid. He is a good bottom pairing D who is tough as well as good defensively. If he wasn't I would agree that there is no place for him but he is exactly the kind of player many teams would like to add to the bottom of their D core for the playoffs because he is more than just a bottom pairing D or just a tough guy.

Old
06-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Morgs
#16 #29 #34 #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB24 View Post
Lol, the leafs protect Matt Marten, ok then
Matt Martin*.

I'm vehemently against that decision, and think it is easily one of the biggest blunders our management staff has made (which says a lot of good things about them).

Old
06-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Morgs
#16 #29 #34 #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
The thing about McQuaid is that he can play, he is a good bottom pairing defensive player who also kills penalties. He's not just a tough guy.

There are two things to complain about with McQuaid in my opinion.

First and foremost he can and has basically injured himself playing hard. Secondly, he is a little overpaid. He is a good bottom pairing D who is tough as well as good defensively. If he wasn't I would agree that there is no place for him but he is exactly the kind of player many teams would like to add to the bottom of their D core for the playoffs because he is more than just a bottom pairing D or just a tough guy.
I get why people like him; just like how i get why people like Polak, but Toronto plays a high-tempo pass the puck and get the puck out with possession style. Makes guys like them stick out like a sore thumb. The amount of times Polak iced the puck trying to make a breakout pass is laughable - I'm not exactly a McQuaid expert, but I feel like he'd have the same issues in our system.

Old
06-19-2017, 01:38 PM
HansonBro

I'm happy to wait on the status of Polak and the Swedes.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:15 PM
OVO16

Good choice. Id love him on the leafs. 5th rd pick should do it. A polak replacement, and we all know how much Babcock loved polak.

I think vegas will have plenty of options to choose from Dman, which would leave some Dman left to be traded. Mcquaid will be one of them.

Rielly-??
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Borgman-Mcquaid

Old
06-19-2017, 02:18 PM
OVO16

Quote:

Lol is that why Polak was such a Babcock favorite and was getting regular/important min with the leafs last season?

We have tons of puck movers in Gardiner/Rielly/Zaitsev and the top 4 Dman we will acquire.

Nothing wrong with Having Mcquiad in the 3rd pairing as your 6th dman replacing Polak.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:27 PM
HansonBro

If Polak isn't able to play id be for another tough D like him

Old
06-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Morgs
#16 #29 #34 #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVO16 View Post
Lol is that why Polak was such a Babcock favorite and was getting regular/important min with the leafs last season?

We have tons of puck movers in Gardiner/Rielly/Zaitsev and the top 4 Dman we will acquire.

Nothing wrong with Having Mcquiad in the 3rd pairing as your 6th dman replacing Polak.
Important minutes? No he was sheltered with Hunwick and it improved them from being literally the worst pairing in Toronto Maple Leafs history. Like their possession stats playing against actual competition were the worst... ever.

It's fine you want a scrub 3rd pairing guy, but it really makes no sense. These kinds of guys primarily play 3rd/4th line forwards and primarily ozs, and they struggle with them because their decision making isn't fast enough to be able to get the puck out with possession.

Polak was basically the worst player on the Leafs all season, and that includes the guys people hate in Marchenko/Marincin, and he absolutely did not deserve to be outside the pressbox.

Personally if we're going to be looking for a bottom pairing guy, I like Del Zotto/Franson/Brendan Smith... oh and look they're all free agents we don't have to spend an asset on.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:35 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
I get why people like him; just like how i get why people like Polak, but Toronto plays a high-tempo pass the puck and get the puck out with possession style. Makes guys like them stick out like a sore thumb. The amount of times Polak iced the puck trying to make a breakout pass is laughable - I'm not exactly a McQuaid expert, but I feel like he'd have the same issues in our system.
He's definitely not a puck mover, that's for sure. He is what he is, if he doesn't fit the team style then he won't be much good for that team, but a team that wants a guy like that who is very good on the PK and provides toughness while playing bottom pairing minutes, he is a pretty useful guy. I think he makes a little too much money, but I understand why. He's not crap as someone called him, that doesn't mean he is good for the Leafs.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:41 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Man, for the **** tastic group the Leafs had on their defense last year you would think the Leaf fans wouldn't talk so much garbage.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
Man, for the **** tastic group the Leafs had on their defense last year you would think the Leaf fans wouldn't talk so much garbage.
The leafs d group was average not terrible. Very similar to the Bruins backend last season.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:52 PM
KlausJopling

Don't think you want him now with two years still left. Vegas should draft him, then trade him at the trade deadline when his contract is up. He will be a fan favorite (mostly because he doesn't lose fights). He is a useful penalty killer, problem is at even strength he needs to be paired with someone who can move the puck for him.

With an expiring contract I could see him getting a 2nd round pick. Teams love picking up guys with playoff experience.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:31 PM
tremha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
my gut says vegas takes c miller and hopes he develops... lots of tools needs a toolbox

that said i think one of adam mcquaid/kevan miller will be traded to help manage the cap. rob ogara can handle some games if injuries hit us

the cost? certainly wouldn't be a first... could it be a second? maybe its a bigger trade where a couple kids get involved and mcquaid becomes a sweetner?

if there are no other teams bidding, the price goes down.

but mcquaid is a fan favorite.. good on the pk... fights to hurt people... a quality leader with playoff experience

anyteam with caproom could live with him in their third pair. i am ok if we keep him. my only concern is we have both him and kevan miller and only 1 roster spot open after mcavoy and carlo get the other right hand spots and chara/krug are filling the top left hand spots

a third pair of miller/mcquaid wouldnt work so one must go

i will so miss his death stare that he gives to people if he goes when they are thinking of dropping with him. It is a cross between i am F'ing crazy and am going to hurt you and will enjoy it!

Old
06-19-2017, 04:55 PM
bearcountry17

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
The leafs d group was average not terrible. Very similar to the Bruins backend last season.
The Bruins were top 10 in GA last season, leafs were in the Bottom 10.

Mcquaid definitely should be on the bottom pairing but he kind of held his own last year as Boston's number 4. If Vegas takes him I highly doubt they are going to trade him for scraps.

Old
06-20-2017, 10:52 AM
HansonBro

Quote:
Important minutes? No he was sheltered with Hunwick and it improved them from being literally the worst pairing in Toronto Maple Leafs history. Like their possession stats playing against actual competition were the worst... ever.

It's fine you want a scrub 3rd pairing guy, but it really makes no sense. These kinds of guys primarily play 3rd/4th line forwards and primarily ozs, and they struggle with them because their decision making isn't fast enough to be able to get the puck out with possession.

Polak was basically the worst player on the Leafs all season, and that includes the guys people hate in Marchenko/Marincin, and he absolutely did not deserve to be outside the pressbox.

Personally if we're going to be looking for a bottom pairing guy, I like Del Zotto/Franson/Brendan Smith... oh and look they're all free agents we don't have to spend an asset on.
The PK isn't important now? Oh and he was a +10. So theres that....

Bashing Polak just seems a bit silly. The guy is a beast and gives 100% every shift. So what if his hands aren't the greatest, that's not what he's there for

Old
06-20-2017, 11:01 AM
HansonBro

Also 17:55 ATOI isn't exactly sheltered

Old
06-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Morgs
#16 #29 #34 #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBro View Post
The PK isn't important now? Oh and he was a +10. So theres that....

Bashing Polak just seems a bit silly. The guy is a beast and gives 100% every shift. So what if his hands aren't the greatest, that's not what he's there for
I bet you think Martin is a vital part of this team as well. Great leader, team dad, works hard.

Old
06-20-2017, 12:18 PM
AnishLoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Hunwick and Polak are free agents. Polak also had major surgery after a brutal hit at the end of the year and may never be the same. Corrado is no longer Leafs property, he was claimed off waivers months ago. Marincin is horrible and nothing more than a waiver claim himself. Marchenko is also a waiver claim and a #7 D, if anything. As much as the Leafs need quality, they need depth. Mcquaid provides that and adds toughness with Polak likely gone. He doesn't suck IMO, hes a third pairing D who fills the role well. He lays the body, has size and will get in your face. There's no one else on the Leafs D who provides that.
the hit wasn't brutal, it was the landing. i agree with the rest of your statement

Old
06-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Sniper99
MF Starboy

pass on McQuaid, please God

Old
06-20-2017, 12:37 PM
HansonBro

Quote:
I bet you think Martin is a vital part of this team as well. Great leader, team dad, works hard.
Vital? Not so much no. What's that got to do with Polak?

Old
06-20-2017, 01:25 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

People saying McQuaid is crap don't know what they are talking about.

He is a role player and played as the #4 on a team that was a lot better defensively than the Leafs.

Optimally, he is your #6 and one of your top PKers. He is VERY GOOD on the PK. He certainly needs to be paired with a PMD. Him being paired with Krug the last few seasons has been perfect for both of them. The fighting aspect of the game isn't very important, but he is one of the best at it. Was is still important in todays game is the ability to clear the front of the net, and McQuaid is very good at that. Again, he needs a PMD as his partner.

Old
06-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Morgs
#16 #29 #34 #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBro View Post
Vital? Not so much no. What's that got to do with Polak?
Polak was about on Martin's level for brutal play last season. Two of the worst players in the entire league, yet the Leaf's fanbase has decided that they're both players we should be getting back next season because they have grit, try hard, and can protect the players.

Doesn't excuse them from being bad hockey players.

Old
06-20-2017, 02:58 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by birds in the trap View Post
why do you want him? he sucks lol.

I thought you guys had enough bottom pairing d like hunwick, polak, marincin, corrado, etc.
He doesn't suck. Injury prone with concussions sadly.

Old
06-20-2017, 03:56 PM
HansonBro

Quote:
Polak was about on Martin's level for brutal play last season. Two of the worst players in the entire league, yet the Leaf's fanbase has decided that they're both players we should be getting back next season because they have grit, try hard, and can protect the players.

Doesn't excuse them from being bad hockey players.
You don't like Polak, I do. Fair enough

Closed Thread