HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perron a blessing?

Old
08-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Wasting a compliance buyout on Belanger's contract was a pretty poor move
Relatively cheap way to send a message

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:18 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Wasting a compliance buyout on Belanger's contract was a pretty poor move
Unsurprisingly, you missed the criticism.

The following poster proves a bit more astute:

Quote:
You were pretty quick to jump on MacT for not buying out Horcoff and buying out Belanger. If you are going to be straight up about this then you have to admit MacT did very well dealing with Horcoff and his inflated contract.

Face it, you jumped the gun once. There's no reason to think you won't continue to do the same, as you've already played your hand with respect to our GM.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
We're spending to the cap on players that are happy to be here. That's a big win for all fans, right? The rest is a track record of poor management and an undesirable geographic location. Party on, people.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
Taken from the message board, this seems to be the sentiment from all around HF:

Now let's compare their vitals:

David Perron

Height: 6'0
Weight: 205lbs
PIMS: 44 mins
Plus/Minus: Even
Hits: 48
Goals: 10
Assists: 15
Source: Oilers.com & Hockey DB

David Clarkson

Height: 6'1
Weight: 200lbs
PIMS: 78 mins
Plus/Minus: Even
Hits: 84
Goals: 15
Assists: 9
Source: Leafs site & Hockey DB

FACTS:

- Perron is only 1 inch shorter
- Perron is heavier than Clarkson
- Both have pretty respectable PIMs
- Clarkson average 0.75 more hits per game than Perron
- Clarkson's overall toughness is more what the Oilers really need, unless Hall evolves into a bonafide power forward

I mean if you look at the fact that:
a) Perron plays LW, whereas Clarkson plays RW.
b) Perron is historically the better offensive player and the better fit on the top 6
c) Perron has a lower cap hit than the $6 million we were offering Clarkson

really... it's like MacT can't get anything right.
So if you say Perron is a blessing, what if Clarkson had actually taken MacT's offer and signed here long term for 6 million? Would you say MacT got that right? He wanted to sign Clarkson badly and offered him the moon. Fact is, MacT had his arse "saved" by Clarkson going elsewhere.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Unsurprisingly, you missed the criticism.

The following poster proves a bit more astute:

Face it, you jumped the gun once. There's no reason to think you won't continue to do the same, as you've already played your hand with respect to our GM.
Having the "FIRE MACT" under his name doesn't help either.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:39 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
All I posted was that Perron was the better player(and move for the team), but a secondary one for the Oilers. Furthermore, that the Oilers showed bad judgment pushing for Clarkson at the money he demanded, and that the Oilers won't be able to avoid their bad choices by virtue of being a less desirable location forever(it's on the first page, look it up). As usual everything gets into it's usual polarized debate which is standard around here, but this one has derailed into a weird discussion about how the Oilers weren't ever in a bidding war for Clarkson, to the point that apparently not even his current contract can be considered a baseline for what the Oilers would have been forced to pay for him to play in Edmonton.

A curious stance in a thread that is devoted to discussing Perron versus Clarkson to say the least.

If it was a "rate Mact's offseason" thread, I would balance out the criticism between the good(Horcoff move, greater defensive depth, Gordon signing, Perron move) vs the bad(wasted compliance buyout, inability to move Hemsky, throwing money at Clarkson, didn't really address the bottom 6). But it's not, and at no time did I attempt to derail the thread into that type of commentary, especially not to push some broad agenda as you are suggesting.

I'm not set in stone in my stance either. If you want to present an argument why Clarkson with his contract(again, a reasonable baseline) would be better in Edmonton over Perron, have at it.
So... ah...
Tarus: " So no, Mact can't do anything right as long as he's proactively trying to scuttle his team's future barely 2 months into the job."

You don't see how the above quote from your first post is potentially polarizing, derailing and could easily have led others to suggest that maybe we should judge MacT based on what he's done, not what he's rumored to maybe have thought of doing?

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

When MacT made the trade of Paajarvi for Perron... honestly I thought it was so one-sided that I was suspicious that Perron might be damaged goods. Even with the 2nd thrown in... it certainly has the potential to be a huge steal for the Oilers.

IF Perron stays healthy that's a spectacular trade especially when you see that Perron is on a reasonable contract as well. Injuries are always a concern for any player though so you almost always have to take a leap of faith and hope for the best with any player involved in a trade. MPS could get a serious injury a week into the new season and Perron may not have an injury for years to come... in short who really knows what the future holds for anyone.

I agree... Clarkson would have been a solid pickup and would have given the team an element they don't have an abundance of BUT I agree his contract would have been egregious and he honestly is overrated for what he brings.

For me it's a case of Perron>>>Clarkson (and honestly I'd say that if I wasn't an Oilers fan as well).

Perron I believe is very underrated defensively and his offense is clearly superior to Clarkson. Again as long as Perron can stay healthy, it's obvious to me that it's better to have Perron over Clarkson... again the solid contract that Perron is on just adds to that advantage.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:32 PM
MikeModano9

The fact Perron is LW and Clarkson is RW makes it instantly a better deal for the Oil. Then add in the fact Clarkson tricked the NHL into thinking he was a 6mil player... We did good on this one.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
So... ah...
Tarus: " So no, Mact can't do anything right as long as he's proactively trying to scuttle his team's future barely 2 months into the job."

You don't see how the above quote from your first post is potentially polarizing, derailing and could easily have led others to suggest that maybe we should judge MacT based on what he's done, not what he's rumored to maybe have thought of doing?
It was a specific criticism directed at his attempt to acquire Clarkson, which I stated a few times would have had disastrous to the team going forwards had he succeeded. It was not a generalized statement on all his moves.

Nor is Mact's attempt to acquire Clarkson as a UFA in the realm of "just rumors", unless you are feeling bullish and want to argue that in a Clarkson vs Perron thread. The speculation has more to do with whether the Oilers offered more than TO, which I stated barely a few posts down from my original one isn't a big deal as even if you just factored in a competitive bid against TO's, it still would have been terrible contract with long term consequences.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:04 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
It was a specific criticism directed at his attempt to acquire Clarkson, which I stated a few times would have had disastrous to the team going forwards had he succeeded. It was not a generalized statement on all his moves.
Nor is Mact's attempt to acquire Clarkson as a UFA in the realm of "just rumors", unless you are feeling bullish and want to argue that in a Clarkson vs Perron thread. The speculation has more to do with whether the Oilers offered more than TO, which I stated barely a few posts down from my original one isn't a big deal as even if you just factored in a competitive bid against TO's, it still would have been terrible contract with long term consequences.
I don't disagree with you at all that signing Clarkson to a deal in and around what Tor signed him for would have been a questionable move.

I'm just not going to use the lack of his signing in Edmonton as an arrow in a "Fire MacT" crusade, its unfair and jumps to conclusions. Just as I wouldn't give MacT any credit for *almost* signing Horton or Dupuis or almost trading for Coburn for a bag of pucks. If he didn't get it done, he doesn't get any credit for it... one way or the other.

As for the bolded above. If you want to revise what you said, that's fair. People speak out in passion all the time. But own up to it... don't come on here and try to convince us all that you DID NOT make a generalized statement as the concluding line of your first post... "MacT can't do anything right" is exactly that.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Regarding the Clarkson debate, which I have intentionally avoided. Fans should know that a team like the Oilers may have to overbid to get a player of Clarkson's caliber, so I really cannot understand why people are calling for MacT's head for trying to add a piece that would make the team better.

Plus, I sure would like to see some posters hold back on the "fact" that the Oilers offered him so much. From what I have seen, there are no "facts" regarding the negotiations....simply speculation and conjecture.

Anywaays, we will see this upcoming season if Perron was a blessing or not. From what I've read about him here at HFOil, there is a good possibility that the Oilers won the deal hands down.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:29 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

This notion that "toughness = Height + Weight" needs to die. It's so stupid.

Not that size isn't a good tool for a tough guy to use to his advantage, but toughness is 80% psychological; confidence, experience, and technique (whether it be hitting or fighting). Some guys have it, and some guys don't. Ference is an example of a smaller guy who has it.

Others, like Hemsky and Perron, have what I would call resiliency rather than toughness. They're not going to lean on the opposition, but the opposition leaning on them isn't going to affect them much either.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post

Not that size isn't a good tool for a tough guy to use to his advantage, but toughness is 80% psychological; confidence, experience, and technique (whether it be hitting or fighting). Some guys have it, and some guys don't. Ference is an example of a smaller guy who has it.

Others, like Hemsky and Perron, have what I would call resiliency rather than toughness. They're not going to lean on the opposition, but the opposition leaning on them isn't going to affect them much either.
True... Barnaby, Domi, Mike Peca would all say hello and support your argument as well.

Old
08-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
I don't disagree with you at all that signing Clarkson to a deal in and around what Tor signed him for would have been a questionable move.

I'm just not going to use the lack of his signing in Edmonton as an arrow in a "Fire MacT" crusade, its unfair and jumps to conclusions. Just as I wouldn't give MacT any credit for *almost* signing Horton or Dupuis or almost trading for Coburn for a bag of pucks. If he didn't get it done, he doesn't get any credit for it... one way or the other.

As for the bolded above. If you want to revise what you said, that's fair. People speak out in passion all the time. But own up to it... don't come on here and try to convince us all that you DID NOT make a generalized statement as the concluding line of your first post... "MacT can't do anything right" is exactly that.
Ah, that's the disconnect.

No, it wasn't a generalized statement, I was responding directly to the OP's post where you'll find at the bottom -

Quote:
You may not think a management group attempting to add a bad contract(successful or not), one that would have long term consequences on the teams ability to keep the good players they drafted is indicative of the GM's judgement, or worthy of criticism, but I do. We can leave it at that.

I don't care much about Mact being fired either despite the silly tag. I know how this organization is run, Mact has a job as long he wants it and there is no point in wasting energy on something like that as long as Katz is in charge.

Old
08-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:

Exactly. I'm so sick of that height/weight theory
If that was the case Penner would be a tough sob and Domi would be a tiny, fragile player

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:24 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:

Fantastic post that bears repeating.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:36 AM
alphahelix

No one knows what MacT offered Clarkson. Maybe it was 4 million, while Nashville was offering 6 million. MacT thought Clarkson would want to be a part of the build here, and bidding was in the 4m range up to UFA day. On the opening of UFA, bidding shot up and MacT didn't go toe to toe with the other offers knowing it would be a poor decision long term, but hoping Clarkson would stick with the Edmonton contract anticipating better results in this market.

Why is this story less likely than what the majority of you clowns appear to fervently believe?

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:52 AM
SLURVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
No one knows what MacT offered Clarkson. Maybe it was 4 million, while Nashville was offering 6 million. MacT thought Clarkson would want to be a part of the build here, and bidding was in the 4m range up to UFA day. On the opening of UFA, bidding shot up and MacT didn't go toe to toe with the other offers knowing it would be a poor decision long term, but hoping Clarkson would stick with the Edmonton contract anticipating better results in this market.

Why is this story less likely than what the majority of you clowns appear to fervently believe?
I believed I heard on the TEAM 1260 with Gregor that in fact MacT had offered Clarkson more money than what he signed for in TO. Oilers had Clarkson in EDM for possible contract discussion.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 09:48 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Ah, that's the disconnect.

No, it wasn't a generalized statement, I was responding directly to the OP's post where you'll find at the bottom -

You may not think a management group attempting to add a bad contract(successful or not), one that would have long term consequences on the teams ability to keep the good players they drafted is indicative of the GM's judgement, or worthy of criticism, but I do. We can leave it at that.

I don't care much about Mact being fired either despite the silly tag. I know how this organization is run, Mact has a job as long he wants it and there is no point in wasting energy on something like that as long as Katz is in charge.
My you are a petulant one. You wouldn't even quote yourself accurately.

Keep on keepin' on Tarus. Spin is your friend and I'm certain you'll always find a way to criticize MacT's moves, non-moves, almost moves, contemplated moves, brainstorm sessions, etc. I mean, it isn't even beyond you to betray the integrity of your own words in order to continue your discursive agenda.

For the record, you wrote:

Quote:
Perron was always the superior player.

The problem isn't that the Oilers got Perron over Clarkson as some HFboarders on the main forums apparently believe, it's that the Oilers offered up a 5.5+ million dollar a year long term contract to a one time 40 point scorer as it's first choice during the offseason. Oilers management won't be able to avoid their horrible choices by virtue of being a less desirable location in the NHL forever.

So no, Mact can't do anything right as long as he's proactively trying to scuttle his team's future barely 2 months into the job.
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus

Old
08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
My you are a petulant one. You wouldn't even quote yourself accurately.

Keep on keepin' on Tarus. Spin is your friend and I'm certain you'll always find a way to criticize MacT's moves, non-moves, almost moves, contemplated moves, brainstorm sessions, etc. I mean, it isn't even beyond you to betray the integrity of your own words in order to continue your discursive agenda.

For the record, you wrote:

Not
I didn't quote myself, it was a direct copy and paste quote of the OP's comment - ie. the thread starter(original poster if you are new to very old forum lingo), very first post of the thread. It should be prominently clear when you read the disclaimer that tells you exactly where the quote came from -

Quote:
No, it wasn't a generalized statement, I was responding directly to the OP's post where you'll find at the bottom
Which was followed by the OP's(original poster's) actual quote(again, not mine) -

Quote:
Which I responded directly with(this one would be my quote) -

Quote:
So no, Mact can't do anything right as long as he's proactively trying to scuttle his team's future barely 2 months into the job
Hopefully this clears things up for you

Old
08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Robyn Regher says hi.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 07:35 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Robyn Regher says hi.
Still didn't change the way Hemsky played

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 08:10 PM
JaredCowenFan
The Next Bergeron

Good theory.

I wanted Clarkson on Free Agency Day, but If I was told to decide between Clarkson and Perron, I'd say Perron.

JaredCowenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:
All I posted was that Perron was the better player(and move for the team), but a secondary one for the Oilers. Furthermore, that the Oilers showed bad judgment pushing for Clarkson at the money he demanded, and that the Oilers won't be able to avoid their bad choices by virtue of being a less desirable location forever(it's on the first page, look it up). As usual everything gets into it's usual polarized debate which is standard around here, but this one has derailed into a weird discussion about how the Oilers weren't ever in a bidding war for Clarkson, to the point that apparently not even his current contract can be considered a baseline for what the Oilers would have been forced to pay for him to play in Edmonton.

A curious stance in a thread that is devoted to discussing Perron versus Clarkson to say the least.

If it was a "rate Mact's offseason" thread, I would balance out the criticism between the good(Horcoff move, greater defensive depth, Gordon signing, Perron move) vs the bad(wasted compliance buyout, inability to move Hemsky, throwing money at Clarkson, didn't really address the bottom 6). But it's not, and at no time did I attempt to derail the thread into that type of commentary, especially not to push some broad agenda as you are suggesting.

I'm not set in stone in my stance either. If you want to present an argument why Clarkson with his contract(again, a reasonable baseline) would be better in Edmonton over Perron, have at it.
Well thats good that you actually admitted that the Hocoff move was good because you clearly already passed judgment on MacT future moves right after the Belanger decision.

Quote:
And it's official - Mact is an idiot, and is wasting a compliance buyout on someone who has 1 year, 1.25 million left on his contract.

Meanwhile the real buyout candidate is being retained because the GM is a delusional fanboy who thinks Horcoff still worth something on the trade market.
Belanger waived thread...post #50.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post68638275

You clearly don't even bother to wait until the dust settles to post your vitriolic predictions on MacT and any pending decisions.

Last edited by Kane One: 08-07-2013 at 10:07 PM.
guymez is offline   Reply With Quote