HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Taylor Hall vs John Tavares

View Poll Results: Who is the better player?
Taylor Hall 23 8.75%
John Tavares 240 91.25%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2013, 12:10 PM
  #126
Cujomi
Toverij
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
It isn't because they play with Tavares, its because they all were completely unwanted by other teams prior to playing with JT. Moulson and PAP were both 25 year old+ UFAs that never made it to the NHL full-time. Boyes was a washout who was forced to sign a 1 year $1M deal because nobody else wanted him.

And while both Moulson and PAP have proven to be good offensive players, some of that has to be attributed to JT. Playing with him they went from AHL to top-6 players.
I think you're underselling them. Nobody wanted St. Louis either and he turned out to be pretty good. Some players take the shot their given and run with it. Boyes, as mentioned, has been up and down the last few years but he's a proven producer. Meanwhile Visnovsky and Streit are two of the better offensive defencemen in the league (or were).

Tavares is a great player but he doesn't carry his team the way that people make it out to seem.

Cujomi is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:22 PM
  #127
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I think you're underselling them. Nobody wanted St. Louis either and he turned out to be pretty good. Some players take the shot their given and run with it. Boyes, as mentioned, has been up and down the last few years but he's a proven producer. Meanwhile Visnovsky and Streit are two of the better offensive defencemen in the league (or were).

Tavares is a great player but he doesn't carry his team the way that people make it out to seem.
He's not a God like some make him out to be, but he did carry that team. His line was the only reason the Islanders were competitive the first half of last season. He was completely dominant. During the 2nd half, Moulson went into a goal-scoring drought which hurt Tavares' point totals, but he was still scoring goals at his previous pace.

Without Tavares' dominance that 1st half, and without him finding a way to score at a 40+ goal pace during that second half when he was essentially a one-man line, there is no way in hell the Islanders would have snuck into the playoffs.

This year has been different though. It seems like everybody is contributing equally(offensively, at least).

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:22 PM
  #128
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,925
vCash: 16145
I'm surprised this poll is so close

Victorious Secret is online now  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:32 PM
  #129
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post

Tavares is a great player but he doesn't carry his team the way that people make it out to seem
.
Agreed, he got way to much credit last year, especially from an offense first center who finished under ppg. For what was an overall team effort to get into that 8th spot.

Sky04 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:36 PM
  #130
Cujomi
Toverij
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
He's not a God like some make him out to be, but he did carry that team. His line was the only reason the Islanders were competitive the first half of last season. He was completely dominant. During the 2nd half, Moulson went into a goal-scoring drought which hurt Tavares' point totals, but he was still scoring goals at his previous pace.

Without Tavares' dominance that 1st half, and without him finding a way to score at a 40+ goal pace during that second half when he was essentially a one-man line, there is no way in hell the Islanders would have snuck into the playoffs.

This year has been different though. It seems like everybody is contributing equally(offensively, at least).
Without the 2nd line playing very well in the 2nd half of the season they don't make the playoffs. It was an all-around team effort to make the playoffs as sky said. Tavares is being given way too much credit for their success that year. Obviously he was a big part of it, but he's supposed to be as their star player, but he struggled down the stretch and the 2nd line picked up the slack.

Cujomi is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:44 PM
  #131
avsman
Registered User
 
avsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
Last year Hall looked like a stud, if he would have built off last year this would have actually turned into a debate. He always had his head up, passed at the right time, shot at the right time and really used his speed to his advantage. This year he has regressed to the same play style of his first 2 years. Head down completely relying on athleticism an skill and had been absolutely crunched several times this year. If Hall doesn't get back to last years form, this is Tavares and it isn't close.


Last edited by avsman: 10-25-2013 at 01:40 PM.
avsman is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:56 PM
  #132
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Without the 2nd line playing very well in the 2nd half of the season they don't make the playoffs. It was an all-around team effort to make the playoffs as sky said. Tavares is being given way too much credit for their success that year. Obviously he was a big part of it, but he's supposed to be as their star player, but he struggled down the stretch and the 2nd line picked up the slack.
The common misconception is that he struggled, but like I said his goal output remained the same. His PPG dropped because of Moulson's struggles that second half. Moulson buried 5 goals in his last 28 games, which came out to a 15 goal pace(less than half of what he typically averages), even though he was still on pace to destroy his previous career high in shots.

Meanwhile during Tavares' "struggles", he managed to score 15 goals during that 28 game period(44 goal pace). The lack of assists is the reason why people think he struggled, but that number wasn't low because he wasn't generating chances; it was low because his linemates weren't scoring. Only so much one player can do to get assists outside of shooting the puck in off of a teammate's body.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:03 PM
  #133
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,717
vCash: 500
John Tavares.

__________________
tony d is online now  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:17 PM
  #134
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 3319
I think it's probably a lot closer than people think. I voted Tavares but I don't think the difference between Hall and Tavares is that big. But of course, it's HF, and Tavares seems to be a God around here...He's getting so overrated.

Avs44 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:30 PM
  #135
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
I think it's probably a lot closer than people think. I voted Tavares but I don't think the difference between Hall and Tavares is that big. But of course, it's HF, and Tavares seems to be a God around here...He's getting so overrated.
He's overrated because he's beating Taylor Hall in a poll? I'm confused...

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:39 PM
  #136
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
I think it's probably a lot closer than people think. I voted Tavares but I don't think the difference between Hall and Tavares is that big. But of course, it's HF, and Tavares seems to be a God around here...He's getting so overrated.
OR maybe it's because the majority of people have the EXACT same thought as you and voted Tavares.

Why do people look at poll results and automatically think it's "ANIEC".

Sky04 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:46 PM
  #137
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
OR maybe it's because the majority of people have the EXACT same thought as you and voted Tavares.

Why do people look at poll results and automatically think it's "ANIEC".
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
He's overrated because he's beating Taylor Hall in a poll? I'm confused...
Nope, it's posts like the one below

Quote:
IMO, its easily JT. The only 3 players in the league who without argument i would take over JT would be Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin. These 3 players have the best hockey attributes on the planet.
I know it's just a technicality, but Tavares has not even had a point per game season. Yet somehow some people think he's easily better than a guy like Hall or one of the best players in the game.

Avs44 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:57 PM
  #138
LOLKarlsson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Tavares. Not close at all.

LOLKarlsson* is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 03:01 PM
  #139
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Nope, it's posts like the one below



I know it's just a technicality, but Tavares has not even had a point per game season. Yet somehow some people think he's easily better than a guy like Hall or one of the best players in the game.
True, I get how posts like those look, but I think there's a difference between saying "there's only 3 players I'd take over Tavares" and saying "Tavares is the 4th best player in the NHL". Most of the Tavares-love around here comes from his upside, which he has still yet to reach.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 03:29 PM
  #140
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I'm surprised this poll is so close
This made me lol.

lboogie42* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.