HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Old
Yesterday, 09:05 AM
Prov1X

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
I know you've complained about the cap because it's against UNB. The entire CIS doesn't have to "play by the same rules"; several years ago the OUA wore full cages because of insurance. Should the OUA be forced to wear half visors because AUS and CW did? The AUS has a 30 game schedule because of only 7 teams. Should CW have played a 30 game schedule when they only had 7 teams? CW plays it's playoff games at the higher seed and doesn't move because of travel. Should the AUS do the same? The AUS has a best-of-3 final and play-in series when they host; the OUA plays one game to determine 3 spots. Should the OUA be forced to adopt the AUS model?

The answer to all these questions is No. These are tweaks that different conferences do for a variety of reasons. The roster cap is one of those tweaks.

To bring in the QMJHL and the CHL to this discussion is a non-starter IMHO.
There are always going to be rule differences, I have noticed a bunch this past weekend, for example, equipment rules (AUS is all CCM, while other teams were sporting bauer and equipment of their liking), mouthguard rules, even delay of the game penalties are called different in the AUS vs the UCUP. My point is, the Geordie Wudrick rule was brought in because the other teams had an issue with UNB having 40+ goal scorers in the CHL sitting in the stands. Comparing visor rules to recruiting/roster rules doesn't even make sense, it will have very little outcome on game results.
With regards to your other points trying to justify the different set of rules, again, those rules were not put in place to try and hurt one specific team, justify in your own mind as you may, but in the end, this is exactly why the roster cap was brought in. If you still want to deny that, then you are wearing blinders that I will never convince you to take off.
I am not disagreeing with anyone that the cap has yet to hurt UNB and did not accomplish what it was set out to do, all I am saying is that it was brought in solely because of Gardner. My point is that is perhaps all teams in the CIS (UCUP) should have limits on roster size as well, I don't even know what the proper number should be, should their be exceptions for season ending injuries?

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:14 AM
Prov1X

Quote:
Am I incorrect when I say if Trainor doesn't dress for a regular season or playoff game, he is not part of the roster cap?
You are correct, he did not take up a roster spot this year, as the only game that he dressed for was the exhibition game vs York over the Christmas break.

So technically, UNB still had one roster spot that they could have filled if they had wanted to. They had 21 rosters spot used, but still had Peter listed on the roster even though he never made it into a regular season or playoff game. I will be interested to see what happens to him next season.

Old
Yesterday, 12:41 PM
AUS Fan

"With regards to your other points trying to justify the different set of rules, again, those rules were not put in place to try and hurt one specific team, justify in your own mind as you may, but in the end, this is exactly why the roster cap was brought in. If you still want to deny that, then you are wearing blinders that I will never convince you to take off."

I've always maintained that the cap was invoked to stop UNB from stocking up on good players. I've said that more than once over the past few years.

Maybe I'm not the one with blinders on.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
"With regards to your other points trying to justify the different set of rules, again, those rules were not put in place to try and hurt one specific team, justify in your own mind as you may, but in the end, this is exactly why the roster cap was brought in. If you still want to deny that, then you are wearing blinders that I will never convince you to take off."

I've always maintained that the cap was invoked to stop UNB from stocking up on good players. I've said that more than once over the past few years.

Maybe I'm not the one with blinders on.
My apologies then.

Old
Yesterday, 03:26 PM
AUS Fan

Thank you, but there is no need to apologize. This is just a hockey forum where we express our opinions. I always look forward to reading peoples ideas.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1X View Post
You are correct, he did not take up a roster spot this year, as the only game that he dressed for was the exhibition game vs York over the Christmas break.

So technically, UNB still had one roster spot that they could have filled if they had wanted to. They had 21 rosters spot used, but still had Peter listed on the roster even though he never made it into a regular season or playoff game. I will be interested to see what happens to him next season.
If he wants to stay at UNB and practice with the team that's fine. I wouldn't add him to the roster though until after Xmas. In case they can add a player.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:12 PM
freddy123

Matt Petgrave signs with the Brampton Beast of the ECHL.

freddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote