HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXV: Relocating One Seat at a Time

Old
Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Just a little self deprecation Kill. The value this thread has provided is a real blessing for me in particular. It's definitely changed how I look at the business of sport, and made me better at my job, so I'm very grateful for everyone here, especially those who are experts. At the same time, it's become one giant meme. This is my favorite board on the internet by far.

RE: Moderation.

At this point, all the regulars hate "drive bys" as I call them. Usually the title keeps the casuals away
I find it interesting when the odd ur poster comes in here and starts throwing around a lot of opinions in the vein of the main boards, then we start asking for proof, links, substance, and quotes....Their reaction tends to be priceless with the boh being focussed on business and not a bunch of pub buddies, they don't last long here it seems!

I think I've learned more here about business than anywhere else, and I'm thankful for you guys and gals for letting me be part of this in my own "inimitibibbble way"

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:42 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Really?... I strongly disagree with this statement, ignore it people, complete load of Bollocks TL and Im not gonna sit idly bye while you spray the joint with hollow points... you know better than to come in here & do that on my watch, know as well that Im a bit of a psycho & dont take kindly to attacks, demand intellectual honesty & objectivity from everyone... hf Boards is the largest hockey chatboard on the planet, the BOH & HOH boards in particular ground breaking & unparalleled, nothing else comes even remotely close to the quality of content & discussion period end of story so yes, you people, all of you deserve kudo's, Pats on the Back for demonstrating daily with almost every post your depths of intelligence, objectivity & knowledge on this subject (and in may cases others as well). Your opinion matters, your perspectives informative & entertaining.
K let's put on a logic cap here. Set the BoH pride aside a moment and look at it from a practical POV

Posters here in BoH mocked the continued deadline shifts from the get go. But among most Coyotes fans you didn't see it for several months. Even longer on the social media.

If you are Anthony LeBlanc you aren't going to get concerned if a relatively small group of posters on a message board who are not part of your fanbase complain about missed promises. But once you start hearing it "en masse" from your own fanbase (via Twitter, Facebook and possibly even directly face to face) it becomes a different situation.

This isn't saying HFB isn't without merit. I certainly wouldn't be here if I didn't feel it had any. But outside of a gratuitous public shout out from one of its posters at a Glendale city council meeting or two (plus one on Twitter from a Canadian sports journalist) has this site received any credit?

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Yet, even if the city of Phoenix wanted to move forward with a renovated building and making it 'hockey friendly', It will still circle down to a) who pays for what. Can the Coyotes invest the same amount of money and they wouldn't fully control?

Then it really boils down to the revenue split. If Sarver doesn't want to share ot 50/50 with the Coyotes, it's not going to fly. Suppose Sarver chooses not to exit his lease in 2022? The Coyotes would be left with game day revenue and there's not enough of that to make ends meet. That's why they had to leave in 2001.

If the Coyotes can make it work in a shared building with the suns, just move to TSRA as is. The obstructed seats were never the big issue with the place....plus they'll have a few tarps lying around if they don't want to sell them
I was thinking about that option while I was flexing muscles at the gym like a *********, but we're talking about 2022, which is five years from now...

Even if that option materializes, and the Suns and Coyotes decide to coexist in a new arena, do you really think the Yotes would play five years at GRA without a subsidy of any kind?

Remember that Lil' Gary said the Gila is not a long-term solution for the franchise.

The Suns and Coyotes would have to find a way to split the different revenues equally to make it work and I don't think it's possible to find a common ground.

Last edited by Fugu: Yesterday at 07:57 PM. Reason: deliberate circumvention of filter, don't do it
Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:03 PM
WildGopher

Give the Senate some credit for efficiency. I've said they might have to add a Friday session if they hadn't completed all the Senate bills that had to go over to the House by Thursday. As it turned out, they got them all done early and didn't even need a Thursday session to get it done.

So this portion of the session is done. The COW agenda is up for Monday, and it now contains all bills that have come over from the House. Except by possible amendment or inclusion in the budget, it now really is dead, Jim. The bill isn't coming up as a stand-alone bill in the Senate any more.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
Give the Senate some credit for efficiency. I've said they might have to add a Friday session if they hadn't completed all the Senate bills that had to go over to the House by Thursday. As it turned out, they got them all done early and didn't even need a Thursday session to get it done.

So this portion of the session is done. The COW agenda is up for Monday, and it now contains all bills that have come over from the House. Except by possible amendment or inclusion in the budget, it now really is dead, Jim. The bill isn't coming up as a stand-alone bill in the Senate any more.
So...can we 'officially' say LeBlanc's 'bill' has gone out...not with a bond but a whimper...

Or...will we see some more media circus touring before the 'official' close of the legislative session...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:07 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
So...can we 'officially' say LeBlanc's 'bill' has gone out...not with a bond but a whimper...

Or...will we see some more media circus touring before the 'official' close of the legislative session...
Yup, IA and Axiom have been holding back their most powerful weapon for that final media circus push: Little Logan.

Time to bring out the kid.

Old
Yesterday, 07:34 PM
blues10

Quote:
Yup, IA and Axiom have been holding back their most powerful weapon for that final media circus push: Little Logan.

Isn't he a Penguins fan that lives in Pennsylvania now?

Time to bring the secret weapon Leblanc off the bench. It worked once before.

Quote:
Chavira even went as far as to reference the 19 firefighters who died in Arizona this week fighting brush fires elsewhere in the state, saying, "If you fail, we fail, correct? ... (but) I see the same spirit (in you) when we run into a home and building to save a life. I know looking at you Mr. LeBlanc that you have the same intensity to fix this city.”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...-coyotes-mess/

Not sure where this thing is headed but Axiom sure has their work cut out.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:35 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I find it interesting when the odd ur poster comes in here and starts throwing around a lot of opinions in the vein of the main boards, then we start asking for proof, links, substance, and quotes....Their reaction tends to be priceless with the boh being focussed on business and not a bunch of pub buddies, they don't last long here it seems!

I think I've learned more here about business than anywhere else, and I'm thankful for you guys and gals for letting me be part of this in my own "inimitibibbble way"
It's why I read this thread every day, but maybe comment once a year in it. I don't feel I am up to snuff with my business acumen to the level of many of the posters here. Now, if somehow, someway the Riel Rebellion or the Knights Templar or some other various historical event were to become relatable to this event, then you will see more of me. I mostly only post when I'm confused beyond reason and need someone to tell me whats going on like I'm a five year old.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:40 PM
Fairview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post

I think that we are in for more theatrics ...It's not over til it's over...I am thinking of that scene from Animal House, where Bluto (Beluishi) rallies the troups after they are expelled I can just see Bettman, Daley and company ..all broken hearted in the NHL boardroom when Tony uses that Beluishi speech..almost word for word substituting Glendale council for the Germans of course..

Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:55 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
K let's put on a logic cap here. Set the BoH pride aside a moment and look at it from a practical POV

Posters here in BoH mocked the continued deadline shifts from the get go. But among most Coyotes fans you didn't see it for several months. Even longer on the social media.

If you are Anthony LeBlanc you aren't going to get concerned if a relatively small group of posters on a message board who are not part of your fanbase complain about missed promises. But once you start hearing it "en masse" from your own fanbase (via Twitter, Facebook and possibly even directly face to face) it becomes a different situation.

This isn't saying HFB isn't without merit. I certainly wouldn't be here if I didn't feel it had any. But outside of a gratuitous public shout out from one of its posters at a Glendale city council meeting or two (plus one on Twitter from a Canadian sports journalist) has this site received any credit?

Hmm. I think you're thinking like TL, and then thinking that's how other people would view the NHL world. When it comes to the business side, can you think of any other site (including blogs, twitter, fora, etc.) that would have this level of information, almost down to the second it was released?

I know there are many people in important places that do read here, probably mostly as lurkers, and yes, that "two weeks" thing started here. I can't prove though that Leblanc saw it here. Also, wouldn't it be easier to see what's been collected here, vs darting around the entire internet?

Anyway, I know what I believe and why.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:56 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
It's why I read this thread every day, but maybe comment once a year in it. I don't feel I am up to snuff with my business acumen to the level of many of the posters here. Now, if somehow, someway the Riel Rebellion or the Knights Templar or some other various historical event were to become relatable to this event, then you will see more of me. I mostly only post when I'm confused beyond reason and need someone to tell me whats going on like I'm a five year old.
No one expects the LeBlanc Inquisition!
Our chief weapon is fear, fear and surprise;
two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency!
Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion to Pope Bettman!
Um, I'll come in again..

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:29 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Could the Chinese investors buy the Coyotes? Gary always has someone line up
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
That would be the only way that the Coyotes could build an arena in the East Valley without asking for huge subsidies.
I know the team wants to go east, but isn't China a bit too far east?

Not to go OT, but seriously though, I do wonder what the long term play is for the NHL getting really involved in China. Grow interest in the game then hope that interest floats over to some NHL teams getting owned by some big Chinese money?

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:38 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Now, if somehow, someway the Riel Rebellion or the Knights Templar or some other various historical event were to become relatable to this event, then you will see more of me.
Hey, we need someone in charge of historical analogies to the business of hockey world. Take the Tripoly War, 1803.

Barbary Pirates (Bettman) have their way issuing ultimatums to great powers like Britain (Winnipeg), France (Glendale), etc. for ransom and booty (subsidies and "insurance" payments), or they will blow the powers' ships out of the water (move their team) and kill all their sailors (launch a merciless media campaign to blame the host municipality).

The Pirates (NHL) gets away with this piracy for years, until an upstart nation, the USA (the Arizona Senate) says hell no, we're not going to pay any freaking ransom (build them a damn second arena), sends in the Marines (Rep. Kern, an actual former Marine), who spank the pirates down (bury SB1149) with ease.

For another great historical clip related to this saga, see YouTube for Hitler's tirade and rant against the Winnipeg Jets and the Avco Cup. In the original German, no less!

Old
Yesterday, 08:52 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hey, we need someone in charge of historical analogies to the business of hockey world. Take the Tripoly War, 1803.

Barbary Pirates (Bettman) have their way issuing ultimatums to great powers like Britain (Winnipeg), France (Glendale), etc. for ransom and booty (subsidies and "insurance" payments), or they will blow the powers' ships out of the water (move their team) and kill all their sailors (launch a merciless media campaign to blame the host municipality).

The Pirates (NHL) gets away with this piracy for years, until an upstart nation, the USA (the Arizona Senate) says hell no, we're not going to pay any freaking ransom (build them a damn second arena), sends in the Marines (Rep. Kern, an actual former Marine), who spank the pirates down (bury SB1149) with ease.

For another great historical clip related to this saga, see YouTube for Hitler's tirade and rant against the Winnipeg Jets and the Avco Cup. In the original German, no less!
I see a parallel as well with the Inca. Gary is Isabella of Portugal, Leblanc is Fransisco Pizarro and Glendale is the empire that Gary has sent his man in to strip down to the bare stone after the previous emperor fell due to a disease brought in by the Spanish...So in this case, the Coyotes are smallpox.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:17 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Not to go OT, but seriously though, I do wonder what the long term play is for the NHL getting really involved in China. Grow interest in the game then hope that interest floats over to some NHL teams getting owned by some big Chinese money?
Well, it seems to me on the surface to be a quid pro quo - if China pours some much needed money into a couple of struggling franchises, the NHL reciprocates by offering expertise to get China's ice hockey program onto a fast track - not only for the Olympics but maybe also to be competitive in the KHL... or compete WITH the KHL.

A B2B opportunity, in other words.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Govment Cheese
you'll Float 2

Quote:

Maybe bring this fan out to taser anyone that doesn't vote yes on 1149

Govment Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
I'm all for knights Templar history!

I like To ask questions or put my view in from time to time. But with subjects like the coyotes, where nothing can happen for (2) weeks or more, then bang we have a new thread chapter....It's hard to keep up sometimes.

Rarely do I leave these boards without learning something or cracking a grin!

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:56 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Hmm. I think you're thinking like TL, and then thinking that's how other people would view the NHL world. When it comes to the business side, can you think of any other site (including blogs, twitter, fora, etc.) that would have this level of information, almost down to the second it was released?

I know there are many people in important places that do read here, probably mostly as lurkers, and yes, that "two weeks" thing started here. I can't prove though that Leblanc saw it here. Also, wouldn't it be easier to see what's been collected here, vs darting around the entire internet?

Anyway, I know what I believe and why.
Okay.... we've been here before Fugu.

Two weeks started here.... but it was also getting repeated out on social media by people whom I know are not HF members (many of whom actually loathe this place.... and I can't understand why. ).

I just don't buy into the one point that LeBlanc responded to our griping about his severe case of sliding deadline syndrome. It wasn't until the actual fan base as a whole began complaining out on social media that he backed down. Maybe it was an indirect effect???

That is not an indictment of HFB..... and yes I hang around here because there are some pretty smart people about and I've learned a ton since I started (including never doubt the Foogs. and I really miss barneyg )

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 12:57 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Okay.... we've been here before Fugu.

Two weeks started here.... but it was also getting repeated out on social media by people whom I know are not HF members (many of whom actually loathe this place.... and I can't understand why. ).

I just don't buy into the one point that LeBlanc responded to our griping about his severe case of sliding deadline syndrome. It wasn't until the actual fan base as a whole began complaining out on social media that he backed down. Maybe it was an indirect effect???

That is not an indictment of HFB..... and yes I hang around here because there are some pretty smart people about and I've learned a ton since I started (including never doubt the Foogs. and I really miss barneyg )
That the best you got? Just keeping your head above water, Dogpaddle doesnt win any races TL.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote