Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

Polish hockey

Old
06-12-2017, 12:42 PM
amoboko

vCash: 50
Polish hockey

Dear friends,

After picking up the hockey during the 2014-2015 Play offs I did follow both Belgium and Poland during their WC's. Being based in Belgium I tend to follow the Leuven Chiefs, my hometown. But having a Polish GF I did want to have a look at the regional hockey teams. We go at least once a year to the South of Poland where you have Katowice, Sosnowiec and Krakau. Unfortunately, the periods were visiting this region, are after the season and everything hockey related is closed.

Now, we recently, visited the Baltic region where I did find a hockey store but they ran out of Tees and jersey's in my size. Luckily for me, we are planning to visit this region more often so with a bit of luck we might get to go to a local game of GSK Stoczniowiec Gdańsk, Gdynia or even Sopot.

After having had a little chat with the shop owner he would put aside both a jersey and Tee when the new season starts

Now, as I don't know that much about hockey in Poland. I only saw a couple of games of Sanok online, I would like to know where I could find the most recent info on teams ( elite prospects or Euro hockey....), players etc... as well as fan merchandise.

Also, when visiting the Baltic region, which would be the better hockey experience. Better venue ....

Many thanks for your input.

amoboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Pan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoboko View Post
Dear friends,

After picking up the hockey during the 2014-2015 Play offs I did follow both Belgium and Poland during their WC's. Being based in Belgium I tend to follow the Leuven Chiefs, my hometown. But having a Polish GF I did want to have a look at the regional hockey teams. We go at least once a year to the South of Poland where you have Katowice, Sosnowiec and Krakau. Unfortunately, the periods were visiting this region, are after the season and everything hockey related is closed.

Now, we recently, visited the Baltic region where I did find a hockey store but they ran out of Tees and jersey's in my size. Luckily for me, we are planning to visit this region more often so with a bit of luck we might get to go to a local game of GSK Stoczniowiec Gdańsk, Gdynia or even Sopot.

After having had a little chat with the shop owner he would put aside both a jersey and Tee when the new season starts

Now, as I don't know that much about hockey in Poland. I only saw a couple of games of Sanok online, I would like to know where I could find the most recent info on teams ( elite prospects or Euro hockey....), players etc... as well as fan merchandise.

Also, when visiting the Baltic region, which would be the better hockey experience. Better venue ....

Many thanks for your input.
I don't know much about hockey in Poland, but talking about the region, you may like to see KHL games in Riga and Minsk, the venues with the biggest and loudest khl's crowds. By the way no visa required when arriving to Minsk by air for up to 5 days.

Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 01:23 AM
amoboko

Cheers buddy,

I didn't even think about that yet. It's indeed close by and Riga is a team I don't mind seeing playing.
On the other hand, there are plans to go to Vienna, make the trip by train to see Slovan and maybe even take a low cost carrier and head to Helsinki to support Jokerit as they do offer tickets relatively cheap.

When talking about ice-hockey in Poland I would like to attempt some local games as it will function as an intangible for me when traveling to the region.

But thanks for the great tip!

Old
06-14-2017, 01:34 AM
amoboko

In addition, I have read some rumors about Gdanks possible joining the KHL ranks, any truth in this ?

Old
06-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoboko View Post
In addition, I have read some rumors about Gdanks possible joining the KHL ranks, any truth in this ?
There were intentions in, like, 2013. No talk since then.

Old
06-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Pan

By the way, for the last few months there have been some popular idea in Belarus about cooperating with Poland, Latvia and Ukraine and founding a united league, modelled on early-2000's WEHL.
Is there any chance that the idea was noticed and discussed in Poland? I'd appreciate any information on that.

Old
06-15-2017, 01:33 AM
amoboko

Well, while visiting Gdansk I was not informed about this matter.
however I did find a Polish member on this board.
I was planning of sending him a Pm later today.
So will keep you posted.