HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Should Ray Bourque's number have been retired by the Avs?

View Poll Results: Should Ray Bourque's number have been retired by the Avs?
Yes - (non-Avalanche fan) 20 7.81%
No - (non- Avalanche fan) 192 75.00%
Yes - (Avalanche fan) 18 7.03%
No - (Avalanche fan) 26 10.16%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-04-2013, 06:55 AM
klozge
Avs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
This, 100%.

It screams 'We demand to be taken seriously'
Yeah, it wasn't easy for the Avs at that time to be taken seriously. I mean, basically nobody had heard of them back then.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
I still don't understand why this is a big deal. It's a number...
Exactly my argument for why numbers shouldn't be retired. It's a number, why should it be taken out of use because a guy who was really good wore it? If you want to honour the history of the number for your team, leave it open and let other people contribute to it.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:43 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Absolutely not. The only jerseys that should be hanging in the Pepsi center are 19, 21, and 33.
Youre forgetting 52 and soon 23. Both very deserving IMO

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:48 AM
TheHeroIshere
Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Exactly my argument for why numbers shouldn't be retired. It's a number, why should it be taken out of use because a guy who was really good wore it? If you want to honour the history of the number for your team, leave it open and let other people contribute to it.
Agree with this. Let them build their own legacy towards the number. Usually when a player gets his number retired he is already remembered.

TheHeroIshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:56 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
I understand your point, but there's always the opposite problem that might happen. Lets say that Matt Cooke was wearing number 66 while he was a Penguin. Is that the type of player that should be wearing 66? By taking the number and retiring it, you're honouring the player that wore it and no one else can have it. Like you say, it's only a number.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:35 AM
tony d
The man

Option 2. Sure he's an all time great but no way should he get his # retired by the Avs.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:17 PM
bigbuffalo313

I said no but I understand why they did and don't really care that much after all

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Honour Over Glory

No, not an Avs fan either. I think it's hilarious that it's retired by the Avs. But it's their decision, whatever makes them happy. Sucks for any player that wants to wear that number for the Avs, for a guy that didn't really spend much time there.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
I understand your point, but there's always the opposite problem that might happen. Lets say that Matt Cooke was wearing number 66 while he was a Penguin. Is that the type of player that should be wearing 66? By taking the number and retiring it, you're honouring the player that wore it and no one else can have it. Like you say, it's only a number.
Yes. It's a number. If Matt Cooke wore #66 for Pittsburgh and went about elbowing people in the face my first thought would not be "oh no, he's desecrating the history of Mario Lemieux's number."

Old
11-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Yes. It's a number. If Matt Cooke wore #66 for Pittsburgh and went about elbowing people in the face my first thought would not be "oh no, he's desecrating the history of Mario Lemieux's number."
well, you have to change an entire mentality for this. the culture in the NHL and among its fans is so traditional that the majority would really believe Cooke was desecrating Lemieux's accomplishments.

I remember some Flames prospect being appointed #66 a few seasons ago. it was like a burden for the guy, when the reporters asked him what's up with the number, he said well, he didn't want it, but the organization made him wear it...

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:23 PM
wintersej

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
If an original six team retired the number of every 52 they wouldn't have any numbers left.

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
well, you have to change an entire mentality for this. the culture in the NHL and among its fans is so traditional that the majority would really believe Cooke was desecrating Lemieux's accomplishments.

I remember some Flames prospect being appointed #66 a few seasons ago. it was like a burden for the guy, when the reporters asked him what's up with the number, he said well, he didn't want it, but the organization made him wear it...
Oh I agree it's a cultural thing and it's not going to change (and to me it's weird, growing up with football as the predominant sport where numbers were just issued 1-11 at first and still are the most common numbers), but if it was me and I'd put up a career somewhere where the team wanted to retire my number, I'd say no. Wouldn't bother to me.

Old
11-04-2013, 06:29 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I consider myself very lenient on the requirements to retire a number, but less than one and a half years isn't even close

11-04-2013, 06:38 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Five players already retired by the Avs...
Roy, Sakic, Forsberg, Bourque, and Foote.

Hejduk will probably join that list too.

Thats a ton of retired numbers for a franchise thats only been around for 17 years in my opinion.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:54 PM
ZDatsZuke
optimistic

Yes I think they all deserve to be up there.

Ray Bourque is one of the greatest all time and he won his only Cup with Colorado, yes he is a bruin at heart but on the Cup he played for the Avs. Cudos to the organisation for also showing their appreciation for a defensive defenseman in Adam Foote, one of the best.
A great lineup from those years, and I think any future Avs player would be proud to join them.

Milan Hejduk - Joe Sakic - Peter Forsberg
Ray Bourque - Adam Foote
Patrick Roy

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:00 PM
NWAvs

He avs showed respect to one of the all time greats who won his cup because of them. I don't see anything but I very respectful gesture

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:02 PM
NWAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todds Chiropractory View Post
No. It felt like a case of the Avs trying to hitch their wagon to Bourque's star to boost the perception of the franchise, rather than to honor what he had accomplished for them.
Bourques stardom was the last thing the avs needed at that time.. Sakic forsberg foote roy were on that team. They were winning too much to have been doing anything for the sake of bourque that wasn't out of respect.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 03:18 PM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

No. Although Bourque is one of my all-time favorite players since -88 finals.

Loved that he won the Cup but retiring spring rentals number was an overkill.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Absolutely not. The only jerseys that should be hanging in the Pepsi center are 19, 21, and 33.
26 should be up there imo. Tho it is exceptable for his kid to be wearing it.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
You would probably like the Leafs policies on number retirement.

Numbers are only retired when a significant player dies or has his career ended while playing for the Leafs. Oddly enough the Leafs were the first team to ever retire a number when they retired Ace Bailey's #6 after a career ending head injury. It is also what spawned the first ever allstar game.

Other great players have their numbers honoured and hung from the rafters but are still available for use.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

I know how the Leafs do it, and, particularly for teams from that era, it makes more sense.

Old
11-05-2013, 10:40 PM
agent22red
Canes & Bolts

vCash: 206
Absolutely not. Complete overkill. Nothing can take away how special that cup run was for him and the Avs, but c'mon. Numbers get retired when you lay out your body and heart for the team for years and years.

Should numbers even be retired? I vote yes. I love the tradition and pride it brings for a team.

agent22red is offline   Reply With Quote