HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

Ice Tilt

View Poll Results: Ice Tilt a thing?
Yes! 167 73.25%
No you just suck 61 26.75%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-23-2017, 05:35 PM
ek93

vCash: 500
I used to think it was just an excuse for people who are bad, but now I'm a firm believer. Just played an EASHL game against a team who wasn't very good. They beat us 3-0. Their first goal was a weak backhand from the blue line with nobody screening our goalie. Their second goal was a wrist shot that our goalie stopped and went to cover, but instead of simply covering the puck, he glitched up and down until the puck slid behind him. Their third goal was a wrister to the pads that our goalie kicked right out to a defenseman in front of the net, only for him to kick it right into the net.

Meanwhile, at the other end, we had 39 shots. And I'd say probably 30 were high quality shots. Usually we are lucky to get 15 shots a game, because we're more of a quality over quantity kind of team. But we took every kind of good shot you can take, and nothing went in. We even started doing the stupid glitch plays and cross creases at the end, just to try to get SOMETHING. But nope, the CPU goalie just made ridiculous save after ridiculous save. The game before we scored 6. The game after, we also scored 6. There's no other reason why we couldn't even push one across against this team.

As someone who used to think it was just some stupid excuse, it exists.

ek93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 07:54 PM
belair

vCash: 68
In NHL '16 I find when the 'momentum shift' or 'ice tilt' is active certain parts of the game get wacky. Ricochets speed up the puck and carom randomly and rolling pucks that deflect off of things will randomly accelerate. Call it what you want, I have no doubt there is an engine that handicaps teams in both online and offline game modes.

belair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 11:26 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
In NHL '16 I find when the 'momentum shift' or 'ice tilt' is active certain parts of the game get wacky. Ricochets speed up the puck and carom randomly and rolling pucks that deflect off of things will randomly accelerate. Call it what you want, I have no doubt there is an engine that handicaps teams in both online and offline game modes.
When you get higher grades in game your player performs better. Take a bunch of dumb shots on their goalie and there goalie will get better. Score on the 1st shot of the game on the other goalie and it's much easier to score unless you only take dumb shots.

If you turn the puck over a bunch your grades fall while the other teams grade rises because they got takeaways.

It's the exact same as it was since NHL 09

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
When you get higher grades in game your player performs better. Take a bunch of dumb shots on their goalie and there goalie will get better. Score on the 1st shot of the game on the other goalie and it's much easier to score unless you only take dumb shots.

If you turn the puck over a bunch your grades fall while the other teams grade rises because they got takeaways.

It's the exact same as it was since NHL 09
That's actually kind of cool if that's how it works.

I've found it annoying but I've also found it largely self induced, I make risky stupid plays and start to suck, so to compensate, I make even more Hale marry type plays and they all end up in the back of my net.

I've found this game plays very differently depending on your team. Primarily if you've had a decent team and then have a "growth year" and bring in rookies.

Seems to me certain player attributes translate much better (possibly dependant on you the controllers tendancys)

I'm also suspicious that "prospects" frequently don't grow the same traits established players in the game do, and some of these are those that seem to have a large pact (face offs for one seem to be an extraordinarily difficult skill for any center who wasn't an 84+ in the 16-17 season,)

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 10:48 AM
headup

Skill gap compression is the answer and has always been the answer. There's no conspiracy or tinfoil hats required.

headup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:28 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by headup View Post
Skill gap compression is the answer and has always been the answer. There's no conspiracy or tinfoil hats required.
You mean 'Online Handicap'?

Then yes. Complete agreement. Straight forward skating, no dekes, go for the cross-crease over and over and eventually your opponent's computer will eventually prevent him from controlling the right defender. It's almost like every game online is designed to finish in the shootout, which is just the worst thing ever created.

I still think the game is buggy as hell online, too. 100mph ricochets and ******** bounces.

Old
04-20-2017, 12:00 AM
m88k

Definitely Exists, I've experienced it against the computer even. Dominating in every way shape and form up 5 or 6 to 0, then all of a sudden every shot the computer/player takes bounces magically past the goalie doing who the **** know what. talking like 4 goals on 4 shots that even Lehtonen would stop 100% of the time.

m88k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 02:27 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

vCash: 919
Tilt is there. Even in EASHL and HUT. I got hosed in HUT then played someone in just a regular Online VS, my friend who is about the same skill level as me. I went up 3 nothing early then it was a struggle to even get my guys skating halfway through the 2nd period. Jones started acting like a sieve and let in 4 goals in like 7 shots. Then the third rolls around and I get like 25 shots cause he turtled. Won in a shootout but still.

PlamsUnlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 03:30 PM
martinez
Goodbye JLA

If you're playing eashl and have one human d and one comp d, make sure the human d plays out of position for about the first half of the first period. Doing that will make the comp d shut down for the rest of the game.

martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:09 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez View Post
If you're playing eashl and have one human d and one comp d, make sure the human d plays out of position for about the first half of the first period. Doing that will make the comp d shut down for the rest of the game.
It actually adjusts that hard?

Old
04-20-2017, 06:34 PM
StLHokie

Ah ice tilt, the way that bad players justify losses to themselves in order to shift focus from the real reason they lost. (Which is that they are just not as good as they think they are)

If ice tilt was real, you wouldn't see guys with records of 100-5, because (by the ice tilt logic), the game would be doing everything it could to help out their opponents instead.

The best way to deal with "ice tilt" is to admit to yourself what you did wrong. It will make you a MUCH better player in the long run if you admit your own mistakes and try to improve on them instead. I used to be a 100% believer in ice tilt, but once I realized it was my own inabilities, I managed to get significantly better, to the point of being able to make money off the game playing Pro Series for EASHL.

StLHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:13 PM
martinez
Goodbye JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlamsUnlimited View Post
It actually adjusts that hard?
Yeah, we've done it a few times just to prove that ice tilt exists. The comp d does those glitch hits where they're 10 feet away and hits the skater in .00001 seconds.

martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:05 AM
THE Florida Panthers
Potvin Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHokie View Post
Ah ice tilt, the way that bad players justify losses to themselves in order to shift focus from the real reason they lost. (Which is that they are just not as good as they think they are)

If ice tilt was real, you wouldn't see guys with records of 100-5, because (by the ice tilt logic), the game would be doing everything it could to help out their opponents instead.

The best way to deal with "ice tilt" is to admit to yourself what you did wrong. It will make you a MUCH better player in the long run if you admit your own mistakes and try to improve on them instead. I used to be a 100% believer in ice tilt, but once I realized it was my own inabilities, I managed to get significantly better, to the point of being able to make money off the game playing Pro Series for EASHL.
And the 5 losses were DDos attacks. Lmfao!

THE Florida Panthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:14 AM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

I'm not sure if this is ice tilt but I significantly lower the game speed in sliders to be more realistic - like significantly lower it so anyone who plays with me always notices right away. Every now and then especially when the AI is down, you can visibly see the game restore itself to the regular speed and the AI becomes super crisp passers. Not sure if that's due to ice tilt or what.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:59 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez View Post
Yeah, we've done it a few times just to prove that ice tilt exists. The comp d does those glitch hits where they're 10 feet away and hits the skater in .00001 seconds.
Yeah I hate that. OTOH I've been trying to beat the PRNG system in high danger areas to beat stuff like that out. Just frustrating when you enter a game and you're obliterating a guy only to lose 3-0 and have a .667 save percentage for the entire game.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:30 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHokie View Post

Yep. The computer works the same for everybody.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:59 PM
THE Florida Panthers
Potvin Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Yep. The computer works the same for everybody.

But ping is not. There's always that dude with bum hump nowhere connection that kills teams.

THE Florida Panthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:20 AM
WithOutPaperss

There are momentum changes for sure (just like in real life), but IMO ice tilt does not exist, however absolutely horrendous goaltending DOES exist.

I've gotten stomped many times online but never once is ice tilt to blame. Too many breakaways or open shots are to blame as well as the odd poor goaltending performance.

You had a bad game, deal with it.

On the contrary sometimes I hit a hot goalie and outshoot the opponent at a 4-1 ratio. Most of the time it's poor shot locations by myself.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithOutPaperss View Post
There are momentum changes for sure (just like in real life), but IMO ice tilt does not exist, however absolutely horrendous goaltending DOES exist.

I've gotten stomped many times online but never once is ice tilt to blame. Too many breakaways or open shots are to blame as well as the odd poor goaltending performance.

You had a bad game, deal with it.

On the contrary sometimes I hit a hot goalie and outshoot the opponent at a 4-1 ratio. Most of the time it's poor shot locations by myself.
This is what happens to me. An above poster stated that I'd you take a lot of bad shots the ogalie gets a boost.

If that's the case in how it adjust I could see how it would impact the game as general human tendancys isn't to try something in ng different in these games, but to just try "more".

So if bad passes increase the likelihood of interceptions/bad shots increase the likelihood of saves, it's likely bthis is hosing people as most will just "try harder" at the same things.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:04 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Completely exists the denial is borderline Trumpism style denial.

It's not the only game that employs it. Best sports game in MLB absolutely has it, closing out a game vs the CPU can sometimes be nothing short of a miracle. You'll know when their players start fouling everything off or connecting solid on anything. Momentum shift. I've lost at least two games this year when center fielder dropped the ball and that runner scored to tie or win it.

And annoying vs computer once in 7-8 games but nothing like the rage inducing **** NHL has when it happens from the drop of the puck vs a terrible player online.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote