HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

New Weird Al

Old
07-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Quote:
Al Yankovic ‏@alyankovic ∑ 2h
Itís official. MANDATORY FUN enters the Billboard album chart this week at #1. Wow. WOW.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I like Weird Al enough that I think I'll buy it to show my support. Don't normally buy CD's.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 06:02 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
I downloaded Apocolypse last night and there is a song on there that speaks so much to me and the situation I'm in. It's the song about the Jungle Cruise Ride, and isn't that a metaphor for just anyone not getting the job they worked hard to get? Either that or our current economic situation where people are getting the jobs but they are pretty bad jobs? This song is as timely today as it was when it came out, so when I hear people criticizing Al for not singing well or not being original, this is an original song and he's parodying a style. Not only is it original, but it's catchy as hell and has some genius lyrics.

When you get the original artists like Don McLain saying whenever they perform their hit song and then during the performance starts singing the Weird Al version, you're doing something right and that's high praise.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 06:35 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksfan39 View Post
I downloaded Apocolypse last night and there is a song on there that speaks so much to me and the situation I'm in. It's the song about the Jungle Cruise Ride, and isn't that a metaphor for just anyone not getting the job they worked hard to get? Either that or our current economic situation where people are getting the jobs but they are pretty bad jobs? This song is as timely today as it was when it came out, so when I hear people criticizing Al for not singing well or not being original, this is an original song and he's parodying a style. Not only is it original, but it's catchy as hell and has some genius lyrics.

When you get the original artists like Don McLain saying whenever they perform their hit song and then during the performance starts singing the Weird Al version, you're doing something right and that's high praise.
Weird Al has always managed to garner respect from the industry, which is hard to do as comedy artist.

He probably has the talent that he could have gone a number of directions in his career, but, he seems to enjoy what he does.

I think it's great that he's this popular so late into his career. Maybe my dream of a UHF sequel will come true.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Has he ever had a #1 album? I've been a fan since the start, and his popularity just seems to grow with every release.

The Robin Thicke flop/divorce/whatever sure set the table for Word Crimes to dominate the media coverage. As did the plethora of videos. Perhaps people are also wistful for the olden days of an album full of quality songs.

Love the video for Foil. Brings back the crazy that he used to have on more albums.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Holy crap. Reading the comments from some of these conspiracy theorist nuts about how "the evil corporations got to Al" really puts Foil into perspective. These people are crazier than they've ever been.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 10:09 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Holy crap. Reading the comments from some of these conspiracy theorist nuts about how "the evil corporations got to Al" really puts Foil into perspective. These people are crazier than they've ever been.
That's ridiculous. Al hasn't changed; he has simply figured out how to get his songs across on the internet. His last album was a disappointment. One of Al's other songs from this new album, "Mission Statement," is a parody of CSNY and their tendency to write anti-corporate songs. That said, he's poking fun at corporations as well with all of the bogus, cliched corporate jargon in the lyrics.

CSNY isn't particularly relevant to today's youth culture. There is also a song on the album parodying Cat Stevens -- the song is nine minutes long. Al has always parodied contemporary artists and he has always targeted the most popular songs of the period, but for him to reach back like that makes it obvious he isn't trying to cater solely to that particular demographic of listeners.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 07-23-2014 at 10:25 PM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Osprey

Something that I like about Weird Al is that he makes accessible to many of us catchy melodies that we normally wouldn't want to listen to, even as guilty pleasures. For example, I don't want Gangsta's Paradise, Ridin' or Blurred Lines in my music collection, regardless of how catchy they are, but I do want (and have) Amish Paradise, White & Nerdy and Word Crimes in it. I just don't feel right listening to the original songs, but Weird Al's parodies are fine. They allow me to enjoy some of the latest catchy tunes, but without the original associations (subject matter, artist, etc.).

Something else that I like about him is that he enunciates probably better than any other artist, perhaps ever. He sort of has to, since understanding the lyrics is important to enjoying comedic songs, but it's still praiseworthy. It's very rare that you would not understand what was said, even on the first listening. He's proof to everyone else in the industry that you don't need to mangle words and slur speech to sing good songs, regardless of style. Honestly, I often wonder why so many other artists put so much care into writing heartfelt, meaningful or edgy lyrics, only to not enunciate them enough for many people to understand without checking them in print.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-24-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2014, 12:06 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 50

Listen to it.

All of it.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2014, 01:04 AM
Xelebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
Listen to it.

All of it.
Oh, I did.

Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Something else that I like about him is that he enunciates probably better than any other artist, perhaps ever. He sort of has to, since understanding the lyrics is important to enjoying comedic songs, but it's still praiseworthy. It's very rare that you would not understand what was said, even on the first listening. He's proof to everyone else in the industry that you don't need to mangle words and slur speech to sing good songs, regardless of style. Honestly, I often wonder why so many other artists put so much care into writing heartfelt, meaningful or edgy lyrics, only to not enunciate them enough for many people to understand without checking them in print.
I was think about that with how well he did with his Epic Rap Battle of History, despite not having many rap spoofs on his resume.

this probably isn't even a joke anymore:

07-26-2014, 07:09 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I was think about that with how well he did with his Epic Rap Battle of History, despite not having many rap spoofs on his resume.
He's done enough rap parodies, I think, for him to be considered at least moderately experienced. He hasn't done a lot of them relative to all of his other work, but with at least five or six studio rap tracks on his resume, I'm sure he was quite comfortable with it.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 07-26-2014 at 07:18 PM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Acadmus

Don't forget "Taco Grande"

08-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Everlong
-

New Weird Al

Didn't think I would laugh as much as I did.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote