HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Value of Usual Suspect Alex Edler (with no VAN input)

Old
01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
BStinson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
Thank you everybody for chipping in! Made these proposals into a summary thread on the Vancouver fans can have at your decent proposals and praise them/blast them. Feel free to check it out but remember, it's enemy territory. Nice talking to you all.

The Thread
Definitely some mixed emotions in there but that was expected, really like the idea of going without the teams POV to scare offers away.

BStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:08 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
He was not very good last year, bad this year, and never took his game to the next level after Ehrhoff left. So, my point stand.

Nuck fans are very defensive sometime. I am not slagging on Edler. Seem him as a valuable asset, just note that there are some issues which will keep him from top return.

OP, as an Isles fan, I'd like to up the ante a little bit, maybe with more prospects or something of that nature.

And yet he still made team Sweden for the OG with a 2 game suspension ahead of Hedman and Brodin. Must be a bunch of idiots running team Sweden

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:51 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStinson View Post
Definitely some mixed emotions in there but that was expected, really like the idea of going without the teams POV to scare offers away.
The premise of allowing only non fans to weigh in and then add a poll to that teams fans is an amazing idea.

Almost every thread on this trades board should follow suit.

That maybe should be what the "value of": prefix should be about from now on. Excellent idea turkulad.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
He was not very good last year, bad this year, and never took his game to the next level after Ehrhoff left. So, my point stand.

Nuck fans are very defensive sometime. I am not slagging on Edler. Seem him as a valuable asset, just note that there are some issues which will keep him from top return.

OP, as an Isles fan, I'd like to up the ante a little bit, maybe with more prospects or something of that nature.
Absolutely some nuck fans are very defensive sometimes. You are most certainly the first to point that out. Now if you are suggesting I am defensive if you are referring to me correcting your incorrect assertion then yes I guess I am defensive.

So back to Edler and Ehrhoff. Edler already had a good season before Ehrhoff arrived and he had a good season after he left. That tells me little of his success has been due to Ehrhoff. But maybe you've watched enough Canucks games to see something I haven't.

If anything Canucks fortunes have been tied directly to their center position issues. The last 2 seasons they have been with out a solid 3rd line center and their 2nd line center Kesler has been fighting various injuries.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:53 PM
TOML

Vancouver's recent losing streak might underline Edler's true value to the team. However they now have Tom Sestito on the 2nd line.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Absolutely some nuck fans are very defensive sometimes. You are most certainly the first to point that out. Now if you are suggesting I am defensive if you are referring to me correcting your incorrect assertion then yes I guess I am defensive.

So back to Edler and Ehrhoff. Edler already had a good season before Ehrhoff arrived and he had a good season after he left. That tells me little of his success has been due to Ehrhoff. But maybe you've watched enough Canucks games to see something I haven't.

If anything Canucks fortunes have been tied directly to their center position issues. The last 2 seasons they have been with out a solid 3rd line center and their 2nd line center Kesler has been fighting various injuries.
I never said his success had anything to do with Ehrhoff. My point was that Ehrhoff's departure left Edler as "the man." When Ehrhoff moved on, Edler was the undisputed #1 in VCR. Last year, I think two of your top four dmen outplayed him. This year, most of your regular dmen have been better. He hasn't stepped up to that #1 role he was left with at all.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Isleswillrise*

Quote:
I never said his success had anything to do with Ehrhoff. My point was that Ehrhoff's departure left Edler as "the man." When Ehrhoff moved on, Edler was the undisputed #1 in VCR. Last year, I think two of your top four dmen outplayed him. This year, most of your regular dmen have been better. He hasn't stepped up to that #1 role he was left with at all.
and you are absolutely correct, as An Islander fan who counts the canucks as my second team since the 94 team, what you say is absolutely true. Ehrhoff was allowed to walk and the team expected Alex to seamlessly transition into the lead role. hoping that Edlers toughness would make him an even better (defensively) version of Ehrhoff. Sadly it hasnt come to fruition yet. I dont think Torts demeanor helps him either.

Isleswillrise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Canadian Canuck

vCash: 87
Would Montreal be interested in a deal like

Edler + Jensen + 2nd 2014 for Gallagher + Markov? Some Habs fans liked it in another thread.

Canadian Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:26 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanucks1 View Post
Would Montreal be interested in a deal like

Edler + Jensen + 2nd 2014 for Gallagher + Markov? Some Habs fans liked it in another thread.
Nope, that's just too lateral. We're not fixing our D by dealing one of our top dman for another top dman. Swap Markov for Gorges and that becomes an interesting proposal.

Edit: and remove the pick..

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:25 AM
turkulad

Edler+Jensen+2nd for Gallagher+Gorges is darn interesting that's for sure. Obviously 9 out of 10 Nucks posters disagree but again one of those deals that hurts some but doesn't hurt too much. Interesting that Gallagher's addition offsets the "you're selling our youth!" argument to some extend and Gorges covers for Edler on the third pairing for lesser pay. Either way.. probably not gonna see the light of day, like any of the other ones here.

Thanks for the kind words everyone who liked this thread, I liked making it too and am happy i tried it out.

turkulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Grammar Butcher

If he will be getting some playtime on the Swe roster. That he at least contributing and racking up some points on the PP. Then Canucks fans will probably get their wish true later on. Since the Olympics is a great window for showcasing one's case. But in the end, I just think he needs a change of scenery. Torts & Edler doesn't seem to match. (But I don't follow Vancouver that much, so I could be wrong?)

A bit of topic, since I don't have any offer to deliver, but still...

Grammar Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
CobraAcesS

Why is O'Reilly for Edler still in the OP? I think it was pretty clear with the follow on responses, that no one besides the single original poster was willing to make that trade.

You even said you were going to remove it, and I'll add anther Av's fan who wouldn't make that deal.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:12 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammar Butcher View Post
Torts & Edler doesn't seem to match. (But I don't follow Vancouver that much, so I could be wrong?)
Torts seems to love Edler. Arguably, Edler was hurt by being played too much by Torts. Edler is a great 23 minute defenceman, but seems to suffer a bit when being played 28 minutes.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:28 AM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Why is O'Reilly for Edler still in the OP? I think it was pretty clear with the follow on responses, that no one besides the single original poster was willing to make that trade.

You even said you were going to remove it, and I'll add anther Av's fan who wouldn't make that deal.
Since I'm no longer the diplomatic overlord, how about YOU just get your eyes checked and read the line before those two proposals:

Quote:
Rejected proposals after further input from fans. Feel free to make a case to make them eligible again:

Colorado
Ryan O'Reilly for Alex Edler.

Calgary #3
Mike Cammalleri, Sven Baertschi for Alex Edler
Same conditions for a Cammy re-up
Emphasis added just for the sake of even further clarity.

turkulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers
Wayne Simmonds, Nick Cousins/2014 2nd for Alex Edler
This is a trade that I consider. I don't think the value is as good as it should be for a top pairing defender, which is why ultimately I wouldn't make the trade, but at least it fits the need of a potential deal. Simmonds is a young top 6 forward who is signed for 5 more years at a reasonable rate, he is the type of player we would want back as the center piece in an Edler trade. Some may push for Voracek, but I'm fine with Simmonds personally. I think another piece needs to be added to this deal to make it fair, personally.

Quote:
Tampa Bay Lightning
Ted Purcell, Brett Connolly, 2014 1st, Mark Barberio/Keith Aulie for Alex Edler
This is certainly the best deal value wise. It makes us a better team this season, and also gives us some youth which makes losing Edler not hurt so much. I think I'd actually take this deal, as reluctant as I am about trading Edler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Just to clarify, I don't think we should be moving Edler. Defense is so important and if we do decide to rebuild or retool the process can be simplified if you already have a strong blue line in place. We have Corrado, Tanev, and Edler as our next wave of top 4 defensemen; if anything we should be looking to keep these guys around and move out older defenders as their contracts get closer to expiring. Plus, next season the cap will be going up, we can afford to re-sign Tanev, and still sign a couple of forwards. Our blueline right now may lack that legit #1 elite defensemen, but we are far deeper than most bluelines with all of Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, and Tanev playing very good hockey. The smartest course of action would be to trade a marginal prospect and a 2nd for a rental forward at the deadline, keep both Edler and Tanev, and see what we can do in the offseason.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote