HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Games people loved that you hated

Old
07-21-2013, 03:17 PM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
How is FFX garbage?

It's got a great story with unexpected twists, great battle system and excellent leveling tree. In fact, FFX has by far one of the best leveling system in all of RPG gaming.

I'm confused. What did you find garbage? It even had great graphics, for it's time of release.
Seems like this is just down to different tastes. Some of the things you found to be great I thought were awful.

Graphics and cutscenes looked great, but they aren't the reason I play games like these though. Persona games look like crap but I love them.

The game was very linear, I hated that a lot. Dungeon -> Town -> Dungeon -> Town. No exploration.

Other than Auron, I remember hating pretty much all of the characters and especially the voice-acting. Tidus being the worst. Disliked every single thing about that dude.

Story seemed ok at first, typical JRPG stuff. Then it draaaagged on with all kinds of bad stuff, mainly due to the stupid characters.
Spoil:
Yuna wants to marry this evil dude for.. no reason at all? Let's waste hours with this!

Yuna needs to sacrifice herself to finish her pilgrimage(?) and to destroy evil Sin. Tidus throws a looooong hissyfit 'cause he has a crush.

I just didn't have fun at all playing it.

E: Reading through these New Vegas/FO3 posts.. Getting the feeling that people who were unfamiliar with the series prior to FO3 prefer that game and peeps who liked FO1/FO2 enjoyed New Vegas more. Might be just imagining it, though.

Last edited by 1rd: 07-21-2013 at 03:24 PM.
1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
When your counterpoint to Nintendo's lack of innovation is referencing a game from 1996 isn't that kind of proving the point?

Since I'm in here again, the Steam thread reminded me: Assassins Creed 3. What the hell happened there? Do you want to play a game? Too bad. Watch another completely unnecessary cut scene instead. Ubisoft managed to make a game that refused to let me play it, now that's innovation.

Edit: I just realized you were the guy who mentioned AC3 in the other thread.
Well Super Mario Galaxy added some innovations as well.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:30 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Every Fallout and Elder Scrolls game. Great world, script, story, etc. Horrible gameplay. First person combat sucks and third person is unplayable.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 04:28 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Game mentioned in this thread I think are overrated garbage:

- Final Fantasy (boring, annoying characters, stupid hair, everything does like 598398954903 damage - hate the FF universe)

- GTA/Saints Row/other clones (most boring Sandbox game maybe ever, just not into the environments - too modern which to me is unappealing)

- Call of Duty (we get it... its been done 100000x before - don't care for multiplayer)

- Halo (The story makes little to no sense to me or its explained poorly and I don't feel compelled by the characters)

- Assassin's Creed Series (most repetitive gameplay ever... it is however stylish and fun briefly)

- Resident Evil games (so so terrible - plots suck, characters are stale like cereal thats been uncovered for a week - please close down this franchise and reboot it several years from now when we've erased it from our heads)

Games mentioned in this thread that I don't think are overrated garbage

- Gears of War (I like the generic but amusing characters/dialogue - reminds me of old 90's movies with action stars)

- Bayonetta (seriously? This is one of the most UNDERRATED games of this generation hands down - it's fluid, stylish, fun, AND challenging - love it)

- Batman Arkham series (it's easily the best Batman series ever made - even better than the last king of this series - The Adventures of Batman and Robin on Sega Genesis/SNES)

- Fallout 3/NV (the setting is what really powers these games - interesting characters that are bizarre yet believable - really enjoyed exploring this unknown environment and finding weird stuff/people/creatures)

- Elder Scrolls games (not as good as Fallout imo, but very fun - especially Skyrim but grew tired of it much faster than FO3/NV)

- Dead Space (sans 3) (very VERY good atmosphere and kept me hooked from start to finish - just excellent pacing, story, visuals - just awesome)

- Bioshock (okay so my opinion of Bioshock is that it's the best game of this generation hands down - why? The story is GREAT, setting is excellent, presentation, fun factor, variety of gameplay, etc. are all WAY above average.

That's a long post... got a bit carried away there.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:05 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Resident Evil 5 and 6. It's garbage. Pure garbage.

I tolerated 4's ****** quicktime events mostly because it had some depth and was generally fun. The next two are just garbage.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Playing Assassin's Creed II after beating I and Brotherhood. Getting kinda bored of it though because it's such a slow game. I hate doing these stupid puzzles to get across the room that Ubisoft likes putting in their games. The more annoying thing though is that there are constant cut-scenes and 50 billion things going on at once. I don't find it fun to go around a map collecting crap. The fighting is quite repetitive as well. Don't think that I'll pick up any more games from that series.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Batman Arkham Series > The Dark Knight Movies

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:44 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

skyrim. to me its a bad knockoff of wow

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcallahan24 View Post
skyrim. to me its a bad knockoff of wow
wat.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:03 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Resident Evil 5 and 6. It's garbage. Pure garbage.

I tolerated 4's ****** quicktime events mostly because it had some depth and was generally fun. The next two are just garbage.
Agreed. I loved playing Resident Evil 4..so much so I did another run through after I beat the game.

I bought Resident Evil 5, played it for 5 minutes and quickly turned it off...just

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Pokemon. Could never stand the things.

07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Gears and Halo series. Just don't understand the hype. Also Zelda.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:14 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rd View Post
E: Reading through these New Vegas/FO3 posts.. Getting the feeling that people who were unfamiliar with the series prior to FO3 prefer that game and peeps who liked FO1/FO2 enjoyed New Vegas more. Might be just imagining it, though.
I played the originals, and New Vegas has pretty horribly told story and atmosphere compared to them. FO3 i thought had much better atmosphere than NW, and i didnt try to compare them to the originals, as i would not compare BG2 to Dragon Age.

Due to how the games gameplay and graphics are structured, they just wont focus on the story/atmosphere as much as companies used to.

LSnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
awesomo
HARD!

AC never beat 1 of these games

They are SO bad. The game is so repetitive.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 03:11 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Are you serious? Nintendo hasn't done anything GOOD original in 15 years
Do you really think Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, or Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, or Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario are identical games?

Nintendo is constantly evolving their franchises. People look at Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy and say HURR DURR MARIO IS STILL WEARING A RED HAT WHAT A REHASH. Completely different games that are completely different gameplay experiences.

But I'm sure your precious Call of Duty and Skyrim games are great champions of innovation, right?

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote