HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Pepsi Center new jumbotron coming

Old
09-07-2013, 06:26 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Pepsi Center new jumbotron coming

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...reboard/14392/

Nuggets posted sneak peak on their twitter feed. So should be ready for pre-season games.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:21 AM
JureEe
Go Kings Go!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...9056--nhl.html

JureEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 09:34 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

The Lightning jumbotron is nice but almost too big for people in the 3rd level. Hard to imagine that this one is bigger.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:38 AM
scotchex

Every year or two another team sets a new mark for biggest/longest/widest jumbotron. I wonder where this trend ends. Obviously there's a physical limit at some point. Can't be larger than the arena itself, if nothing else. Perhaps we are approaching Peak Jumbotron.

What comes after that? Once every stadium and arena in North America has an uber-huge Jumbotron, how will they differentiate? They always will look for something new and different and high-tech, some new attraction to draw in fans.

Here's a crazy idea: The entire playing surface somehow become a giant display screen. No idea how. It's not technologically feasible right now, but I'm talking 20 years from now when the Jumbotrons can get none more Jumbo.

They'll be animated ads on the playing surface. Explosions emanating from the goal when somebody scores. They'll probably even, horror I know, bring back the glowing blue puck -- this time painted right on the ice.

The trend for arenas and stadiums is to turn every flat or curved surface into a LED screen. Every place where people look.

The Jumbotron's still have many years to get bigger, I guess. Instead of blue line to blue line, they'll be goal line to goal line. But eventually we will hit Peak Jumbotron, and arenas will have to find some other way to add sparkle and shine.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

I suspect holographic imagery, 3D replays right on the ice surface, commercials floating in space will eventually "compliment" the Jumbotron's, so ya, pretty much everywhere you look. Mind blowing when you think about whats coming.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Wow, finally. They've had the same jumbotron since the arena opened in 1999.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Tinalera

I think as the jumbotrons continue to get bigger, and more "entertainment" on during the game, at what point do the players on the ice become merely "a bonus" (or are we already there?) I mean yes hockey fans will come to watch hockey, but the pursuit of the "new/casual" fan, and it becoming "the NHL hockey experience" (haven't I actually heard that term used at least once? I'd have to check), rather than an NHL game. I mean as it stands now-we seem to have more and more pregame ceremonies, entertainment on the jumbotron (kiss cams, highlights, ads, you name it), the marketing pushing for more and more "between period" minutes for their various promos/fan contests, combined with, as has been mentioned, more of the "screens everywhere you look", combine that with all the stuff going on the concourse-concessions, sales stuff ect-don't they even have "after the game" stuff as well-interviews, celebrations, stuff on the ice?

Just wonder if the "hockey game" is simply becoming a byproduct.

Yes that was a very long run on sentence, apologies

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I think as the jumbotrons continue to get bigger, and more "entertainment" on during the game, at what point do the players on the ice become merely "a bonus"...Just wonder if the "hockey game" is simply becoming a byproduct.
Well thats just it. At what point does the installation of massive Jumbotrons combined with those full bowl LED's which are used equally for commercial purposes combined with static advertising on the ice itself, the boards, entrances & exits etc etc etc overwhelm the game itself? Id say its already done so. Gone well beyond that point actually. The game itself merely a vehicle for commercial interests. Just a matter of time before jerseys, helmets, pads, you name it, everything up for grabs, an advertising vehicle. Like Nascar on Acid. Conn Smythe must be spinning in his grave as it is.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:28 PM
scotchex

Who knows, maybe if the Google Glass concept takes off and improves then the future might go away from giant, flashing screens everywhere.

In that augmented reality future the actual arena would be kept fairly plain and all the shiny, flashy stuff would happen in your personal augmented reality glasses. Those who want a glowing blue puck would get to have it, those who want player's names to float over the head of each player could have that. Purists could have a stripped down experience, casual fans could have more info aids displayed for them.

No trend is forever. Ten years ago a standard joke was cell phones getting smaller and smaller, Zoolander had jokes about about the rich and trendy buying ever more impossibly small phones as a status symbol. And then iPhone and android phones changed all that and now people buy comically large phones.

Future is hard to predict. But fun to try. There doesn't seem to be any slowing down of the ever growing Jumbotron trend. Fans like them and get excited when their arena gets a bigger one. Only obvious limit is the Jumbotron can't be bigger than the arena itself.

Old
09-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well thats just it. At what point does the installation of massive Jumbotrons combined with those full bowl LED's which are used equally for commercial purposes combined with static advertising on the ice itself, the boards, entrances & exits etc etc etc overwhelm the game itself? Id say its already done so. Gone well beyond that point actually. The game itself merely a vehicle for commercial interests. Just a matter of time before jerseys, helmets, pads, you name it, everything up for grabs, an advertising vehicle. Like Nascar on Acid. Conn Smythe must be spinning in his grave as it is.
The world of William Gibson's "Idoru" might be closer than we think

Guess it's what I get for watching a changing media culture-"media is the message"-Jumbotrons provide an interesting aspect to that, don't they?

Old
09-07-2013, 01:39 PM
scotchex

Kinda surprised the boards aren't already LED displays. I've seen some so I know the tech exists. That seems like an obvious near-term possibility.

Old
09-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
Who knows, maybe if the Google Glass concept takes off and improves then the future might go away from giant, flashing screens everywhere.

In that augmented reality future the actual arena would be kept fairly plain and all the shiny, flashy stuff would happen in your personal augmented reality glasses. Those who want a glowing blue puck would get to have it, those who want player's names to float over the head of each player could have that. Purists could have a stripped down experience, casual fans could have more info aids displayed for them.

No trend is forever. Ten years ago a standard joke was cell phones getting smaller and smaller, Zoolander had jokes about about the rich and trendy buying ever more impossibly small phones as a status symbol. And then iPhone and android phones changed all that and now people buy comically large phones.

Future is hard to predict. But fun to try. There doesn't seem to be any slowing down of the ever growing Jumbotron trend. Fans like them and get excited when their arena gets a bigger one. Only obvious limit is the Jumbotron can't be bigger than the arena itself.
Theoretically they already are getting bigger-more and more arenas are having the "outside" screens for the fans-they can pretty much over time put everything on the jumbotron on those big screens-pretty soon the outsides of the arena will effectively be one huge jumbotron for those "outside"

EDIT: you read my mind as I was posting lol

Old
09-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
It honestly looks photoshopped

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I think as the jumbotrons continue to get bigger, and more "entertainment" on during the game, at what point do the players on the ice become merely "a bonus" (or are we already there?) I mean yes hockey fans will come to watch hockey, but the pursuit of the "new/casual" fan, and it becoming "the NHL hockey experience" (haven't I actually heard that term used at least once? I'd have to check), rather than an NHL game. I mean as it stands now-we seem to have more and more pregame ceremonies, entertainment on the jumbotron (kiss cams, highlights, ads, you name it), the marketing pushing for more and more "between period" minutes for their various promos/fan contests, combined with, as has been mentioned, more of the "screens everywhere you look", combine that with all the stuff going on the concourse-concessions, sales stuff ect-don't they even have "after the game" stuff as well-interviews, celebrations, stuff on the ice?

Just wonder if the "hockey game" is simply becoming a byproduct.
Absolutely we're already there. A large proportion of season ticket holders are corporations, who dole out tickets as a perk or use them for "improving client relations". They don't care about the game.

I won't lie and say I haven't enjoyed watching games from a corporate suite though. :p

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Revo

«That's too big, there's no way it'll fit».

Seriously, I can appreciate when new technologies bring something interesting but... really? Why even go to the game if the scoreboard is what you are going to watch? Save yourself the travel cost and ticket price and get yourself a huge TV. If it isn't distracting for people actually following the play, then whatever I guess, it's the arena manager's money.

Also, poor symmetry, left all alone in her corner

Revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 09:14 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
This is all Jerry Jone's fault

I like big jumbotrons but they are going too far.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
This is all Jerry Jone's fault

I like big jumbotrons but they are going too far.
I agree. This seems like a new trend in the early 2010s that was started by the Cowboys. The old trend that was started in the mid 2000s was different. It was four equally-sized HD screens with a halo ring on the bottom (and sometimes on top). Staples Center was one of the last few arenas to install that model. I don't know if they regret not going with the Cowboys style scoreboard, but I sure am glad they didn't.

Mid 2000s trend:

And now look at all the arenas that are trying to copy the Cowboys.

And I believe Utah's Energy Solutions Arena is getting a new scoreboard this season and it's one of those Cowboys Stadium copycats.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:52 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 279
The Pepsi Center's old jumbotron looked like a TV from the early 90s, they were desperate for an upgrade. Enhanced visuals and sound make for a better atmosphere, otherwise it gets stale. Maybe when a team is winning Cups the building doesn't need enhancement but when they are not I don't mind some pizazz.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 01:31 PM
DaveTheHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Mid 2000s trend:

I prefer these scoreboards

DaveTheHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 05:20 PM
NeverGoingToWin

How much did it cost? The ACC is being pushed to get a new one and I am curious how much a really nice one costs.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Ottawa spent between 4-5M for theirs just a couple seasons ago.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote