Notices

Whatcha Drinkin' Part II: Too think to drunk of a good title

Old
08-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

vCash: 50
Having a wheat beer, lime long drink and a Heineken. Two free days ahead of me. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Went about a month with no booze to try and lose some weight. Didn't lose any weight. Drank beer last weekend. Was fantastic.
Underrated post.

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 02:00 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Finally 21 so I went ahead and bought by own first booze.

Got some Svedka vodka because it was twice as much liquid as my traditional Reyka for $5 less. Might as well try something new anyway.

Also got some Leinies. Orange Shandy. Not the biggest beer fan and I feel like I have to drink it fast before it loses the hint of orange in there but eh. Not bad.

Wanted summer shandy but they were out.

Recommendations for a guy who isn't a fan of beer but is kinda feeling like drinking some anyway?

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR McDangles View Post
Recommendations for a guy who isn't a fan of beer but is kinda feeling like drinking some anyway?
I'd keep exploring the fruity beers like you're doing. Summer Shandy, Orange Shandy, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat... Seasonal beers are always fun to taste - especially Fall beers with their pumpkin and cinnamon flavors. I keep myself amused by trying bizarre beers whenever I get a chance. I've heard the Blueberry Grain Belt at the State Fair is pretty good.

Stay away from extremely hoppy beers until you're more accustomed to them. Took me a while to appreciate beers like Surly Furious.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
I had hte blueberry beer at the fair. It was kinda odd....but not bad.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 07:15 PM
DANOZ28

congrats fubar the big 21! im not a beer drinker but my fridge is stocked with 16oz MGD lt's , if your ever near rosedale total wine has kona longboards, big wave ,& firerock.(build your own 6 pack) also nothing wrong with heineken. stronger beer get a mickey's 40 oz bottle!

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 07:20 PM
gphr513

Quote:
You probably won't want to dive right into the craft beer world, as they are generally more hoppy and full flavored. I'd recommend, like Minnesota said, catching the tail end of some of the summer themed beers. They are generally pretty tame, and focus more on refreshment and taste.

After that, I think a good stepping stone into the craft beer world is something like a Summit EPA. Any Pale Ale, really. They tend to not be super hoppy.

If you really want to get into it, check out Beer Advocate. this page has pretty much any style you could imagine. You can click on it, it gives you a summary of the beer, and some of the top rated beers in that category.

gphr513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
You're on the right path. Sticking with good beers that have fruit flavors or pair well with fruit is a nice way to start. That's how I got my mom to like beer. Blue Moon with an orange slice.

Keeping on with that, most beer aficionados tend to favor seasonal selections. In the summer, wheat beers and shandies are fantastic. Light, citrus flavors, easy to drink, refreshing. Leine's makes a lot of good drinkable beers, Summer Shandy, Orange Shandy, and Honey Weiss. Blue Moon and Shock Top are pretty decent and easy to find.

In the fall, the Oktoberfest roll in. They are more nutty, malted, and can be a bit sweet. Sometimes you'll see pumpkin beers too. Reminds me of fall and football season. I really like the Sam Adams and Summit Oktobers, and an easy to drink beer in this style is Newcastle, which was my gateway beer.

In the winter, I like brown ales. They have flavors of chocolate, coffee, caramel, vanilla, roasted nuts, etc. Surly Bender is available year round but is this style. Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is probably the best seasonal that time of year, IMO.

Then in the spring, turns back to hoppy ales with citrus notes. Very fresh tasting. Hopslam comes out around this time of year.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 06:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

okay, my wife generally dislikes beer but she liked Farm Girl Saison from local-ish Lift Bridge brewery. Not a challenging beer at all. Easy entry into "good" beer. Really found that a lot of non-beer drinkers will stick with wheat beers if they're over and participating in social drinking. nothing wrong with that.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
I'll enjoy a nice wheat beer when I'm not craving an extremely strong-flavored beer, if that makes sense. I enjoy hoppy beers from time to time, but sometimes my taste buds are in the mood for a mellower experience.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 11:46 PM
gphr513

Went to Excelsior Brewing Co. before dinner tonight for a few beers.

The Bridge Jumper IPA was very good. Very bold, quite a bit of hoppy flavor, so one was enough for me. Had a couple XLCR Pale Ales (pictured) that were also very good.

Cool place. Would recommend!

gphr513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Al Lagoon

Breaking the mold with a bottle of Corbières, great budget wine from the south of France. As tasty as Châteauneuf du Pape but a fourth of the price. A decent one should cost less than $10.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote