HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part VII - Giroux Cops a Feel

Old
08-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Kind of crazy that the NHL would go beyond 30 before baseball and basketball. Talent pool is diluted enough as is.
Why do people keep saying this? The amount of talented hockey players continues to increase. More people are playing the game than ever and good players are leaving for other professional leagues. IMO, there is plenty of talent to go around. Pointing out 4th line scrubs and talentless goons as evidence of dilution isn't understanding the problem. The reason we have those type of players still around is more of a hockey culture issue than it is because there isn't enough talent.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 02:32 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

I say it because I'm uninformed and parrot things that are fed to me

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 02:33 PM
SidTheKid8787

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/27/nhl...on-team-report

NHL is denying any "done deal" to LV.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I say it because I'm uninformed and parrot things that are fed to me
I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. I'm just curious why people keep saying it without elaborating.

Old
08-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/27/nhl...on-team-report

NHL is denying any "done deal" to LV.
Of course they are. They don't even have an owner in place (if the rumors are correct). I very much believe they want to expand and Las Vegas and Seattle are the top choices as it would fit with re-alignment. But they NHL won't say they are doing it until all the details are in place.

Old
08-27-2014, 02:50 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Didn't the city of Las Vegas just make a statement a few days ago saying that they couldn't support a professional sports franchise?

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 07:15 AM
iFishyHD
Beauner Bennett

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Didn't the city of Las Vegas just make a statement a few days ago saying that they couldn't support a professional sports franchise?
I though I remembered hearing that too. If you really want to check, look into the Business of Hockey sub-forum.

Also, is Toronto really rumored to getting a 2nd franchise?

I would expand to Seattle, Kansas City, Quebec, and maybe go into Halifax or into Canada again.

iFishyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Flat Stanley

I just realized that probably the quietest team this offseason should have been the one making a little more noise than other teams. The San Jose Sharks.

This team has made NO changes to help their team! A team who is always in the discussion for the Stanley Cup but is always getting beat time and time again in the playoffs (like the Pens) made minor changes, only enough to make them less effective next year.

First thing they did wrong, was keep their coach. Todd McLellan should have been fired immediately after this year, the fact that they are keeping him is a joke.

Next, they lost two top 4 defensemen, they traded Stuart for a 2nd and lost Boyle to Free Agency.

Then they made absolutely no additions to their NHL team, the only players they brought in are AHL players and goons.

There have been plenty of bargains on the free agent market that the Sharks could use. For example, one of their former players, Devin Setoguchi just signed a 1 year, $750,000 deal. If that's his worth, wouldn't it have been smarter for the Sharks to sign him and dump Tyler Kennedy? They also have players like Torres and Burish making too much money.

Now they're not going into camp with a captain or alternate's? What, is the organization going to blame Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, etc. for the team's struggles? They should take a look in the mirror for failing to provide the right assets to compete.

I don't really have any like or dislike for the Sharks, but this is an organization who should have been making the moves that we made, and they didn't.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 02:49 PM
mpp9

There's not much they can do if Marleau and Thornton refuse to waive their NTCs.

Stuart isn't a top 4 D anymore. And Boyle is pretty border line at this point. They unloaded Clowe and Murray for a decent amount of picks last year. They did a better job of moving on from washed up players than we did.

And McLellan isn't that team's problem.

Maybe move Pavelski to shore up the defense.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Honour Over Glory

Brad Stuart hasn't been a top 4 D for about 80% of his career.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote