HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Is it time for Detroit to begin a full rebuild?

View Poll Results: Time for Detroit rebuild?
Yes, if they aren't in the playoffs by the deadline, start dealing 30 18.07%
Not yet, lets try one more year 15 9.04%
No, just re-tool, wheel and deal 91 54.82%
No, things are fine 30 18.07%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-10-2013, 07:00 AM
ZDatsZuke
optimistic

vCash: 500
no. I like most of the players on the team and with prospects like Smith, Jarnkrok, Ouellet, Nyquist, etc. already in the organisation and ready to play I am not worried.

Lets Go Red Wings!!

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Yossarian54

No.

But having said that, I think they'll perhaps miss the playoffs once or twice in the next few years. But that doesn't justify a rebuild. They have a pretty decent if not dazzling prospect pool, and a few more years of picking 10-20 and in the mid to high 2nd round could propel them right back in contention.

I think retaining their veterans and developing an experienced, winning culture in their prospects, as well as the ability to ease them into the NHL, is more important than trading an ageing Datsyuk or Franzen for a shiny but unpredictable return.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Still a very good team with some really good prospects, meaning no need for a rebuild.
They may have some good prospects but do they have any prospects who are likely to become top pairing defensemen or top line forwards? Not exactly. I doubt they win a championship in the years Zetterberg and Datsyuk have left, but trading them now could get a couple of those potetial top line forward or number one defensemen prospect.

Detroit's got the depth prospects now, and if they retool quickly and trade their older but still very valuable players they can probably have a contender team again in 5 years.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote