HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Who Would You Most Like to See on Team Canada/Sochi

View Poll Results: Who Would You Most Like to See on Team Canada/Sochi
Martin St. Louis 32 21.33%
Patrick Sharp 14 9.33%
Jason Spezza 46 30.67%
Brian Campbell 6 4.00%
Dan Hamhuis 20 13.33%
None of them 32 21.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Seguin a better 2-way player? St. Louis would have certainly led the Bruins in scoring last year, you severely underrate his abilities. He is still an elite player until proven otherwise, if not for his injury, he would have atleast had 80 points last year.
Martin St. Louis was on the ice for more even strength goals against than any forward in the league:
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...24+25+26+27+28

Martin St. Louis was tied for 1st in the league among skaters in even strength goals against while on the ice:

Martin St. Louis was on the ice for the most even strength goals against total, and per ice time on his team:

Yet Martin St. Louis played against the easiest competition on his team. His coach gave him favourable matchups against the worst offensive players possible:

All St. Louis had to do is play offense. He had terrible opponents. Thompson was the guy who faced all the top lines, and every single player on TB except for Wallace faced tougher competition than MSL.

Yet MSL still managed to give up the most goals in the league.

This guy is almost as bad as Lupul. He needs to stay the eff away from Team Canada.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Martin St. Louis was on the ice for more even strength goals against than any forward in the league:

Martin St. Louis was tied for 1st in the league among skaters in even strength goals against while on the ice:

Martin St. Louis was on the ice for the most even strength goals against total, and per ice time on his team:

Yet Martin St. Louis played against the easiest competition on his team. His coach gave him favourable matchups against the worst offensive players possible:

All St. Louis had to do is play offense. He had terrible opponents. Thompson was the guy who faced all the top lines, and every single player on TB except for Wallace faced tougher competition than MSL.

Yet MSL still managed to give up the most goals in the league.

This guy is almost as bad as Lupul. He needs to stay the eff away from Team Canada.
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. You are a stat-watcher, nothing more. Those Corsi numbers are very misleading.
St. Louis had to play 25 mins a game for one of the worst defensive teams in the league, along with the worst goaltending. There is a reason why he is widely considered one of the better 2-way forwards in the league, and if you watched St. Louis play (which you have clearly haven't) you would feel the same. (He also has quite a few Selke votes in his career, coming 4th in voting in 2004)

A common theme to the players on those lists? They play on defensive ****holes of teams. I guess Tavares and Stamkos should be nowhere near Team Canada too?

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:18 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. You are a stat-watcher, nothing more. Those Corsi numbers are very misleading.
St. Louis had to play 25 mins a game for one of the worst defensive teams in the league, along with the worst goaltending. There is a reason why he is widely considered one of the better 2-way forwards in the league, and if you watched St. Louis play (which you have clearly haven't) you would feel the same. (He also has quite a few Selke votes in his career, coming 4th in voting in 2004)

A common theme to the players on those lists? They play on defensive ****holes of teams. I guess Tavares and Stamkos should be nowhere near Team Canada too?
1-It's not 2004 anymore. Get with the program. I'm sure he was awesome back then.

2-I'm not saying he's the worst defensive player in hockey (as one could interpret from the stats). I'm saying that saying ''he's one of the best two-way wingers in the game'' is so, so wrong. Any player who gives up that many goals simply cannot be considered good defensively.

3-25 min a night is an outright lie. It's not even close. It's also irrelevant because per minutes played he is also near the top of goals against.

4-On Tavares. Tavares had the 4th highest quality of competition on his team. He played against 2nd lines and tougher opponents than MSL. He played on a worse team than MSL. He also played 5 more games than MSL. Despite all of this, Tavares still gave up less goals than MSL.
Tavares is also much better offensively than MSL, therefore yes he should be on Team Canada.
It's similar with Stamkos, except the offensive gap is even huger.

5-Krejci and Kovalchuk are near the top of the list and they didn't play on crap teams. Look, playing on a bad team will certainly make this stat look worse, which is why I'm not saying MSL is the worst defensive player in the league.
However, look at Landeskog. He played on a pretty bad team yet he gave up half the goals MSL did. If you want an example of elite 2-way winger, there's one.

6-Finally, I do 'watch' MSL, thank you very much. He's good offensively but not very good defensively. If he was more responsible, maybe Tampa would win some games occasionally.
But keep watching though. You don't even know what to look for, so how am i supposed to trust your judgement?
I watch Sergei Gonchar 80 games a year. He's a top 10 defensive d-man. I know because I watch him. See what I did there?

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:26 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
6-Finally, I do 'watch' MSL, thank you very much. He's good offensively but not very good defensively. If he was more responsible, maybe Tampa would win some games occasionally.
But keep watching though. You don't even know what to look for, so how am i supposed to trust your judgement?
I watch Sergei Gonchar 80 games a year. He's a top 10 defensive d-man. I know because I watch him. See what I did there?
If you did, then you wouldn't be citing Hartnell, Whitney or Eberle (among other) as better wingers.
I'm curious as to what crazy stats you will pull up to indicate Scott Hartnell or Jordan Eberle as better players then MSL... There's just no case for them

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote