HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Matt Strome - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2017 Draft)

Old
02-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Henr1k

vCash: 500
He is the Jared Staal of the Stromes... Although I don't think any of em' come close to Eric, or even Jordans careers

Henr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
This is a gamble I'm taking early in the 2nd round. Matt actually goes into the corner and creates from the corner. He has the family hands and hockey sense, that is a dangerous combination. With the right attitude, I believe anyone can become a good skater.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 02:54 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 135
bump 62pts in 66 games, overall where does he go?

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 03:10 PM
donut
#11forever

vCash: 18841
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
bump 62pts in 66 games, overall where does he go?
Weak draft class so probably mid-late 2nd round is my guess. Might even fall into the 3rd but I doubt anything later than that.

donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Top Chedz

what is this kid's upside?

30-40 point player 3rd liner a fair thought? might have top 6 upside?

Top Chedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 08:56 AM
LastWordArmy

vCash: 450
Like his hockey sense, hands, shot. He's also the grittiest and toughest of the brothers. That said the skating is a real issue.

Here's the full report.

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com...outing-report/

LastWordArmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 08:57 AM
mymerlincat

Any chance he goes to Arizona with Minneosta's first?

mymerlincat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 09:04 AM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymerlincat View Post
Any chance he goes to Arizona with Minneosta's first?
I wouldn't advise drafting a potential 4th line center with a first round pick, but that's just me.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Zemgus26

If he goes in the 1st round it will be a huge mistake.

More of a 3rd round pick IMO. Skating really holds him back and he looks invisble out there 90% of the time.

Zemgus26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 10:25 AM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemgus26 View Post
If he goes in the 1st round it will be a huge mistake.

More of a 3rd round pick IMO. Skating really holds him back and he looks invisble out there 90% of the time.
He could creep into the 1st round, but I think he's probably more of a 2nd round pick. I'd be very surprised if he lasts until the 3rd round.

I've warmed up to him lately, but his skating really needs a lot of work. It's a huge question mark right now.

The rest of his package is really good though, he's the perfect complementary winger to a skilled C imo. Very high end hockey sense, vision and playmaking and it comes in a big body who uses his size.

In a draft that's pretty weak towards the end of the 1st round I could see some team taking a chance at him.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Lays
Godvel Beastnevich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Chedz View Post
what is this kid's upside?

30-40 point player 3rd liner a fair thought? might have top 6 upside?
Yeah I think his ceiling is as a 30-40 third liner. I don't see any top 6 upside and I wouldn't be surprised if he busts, not a fan at all

Lays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 07:57 PM
HoseEmDown

How does this skating issue even happen? The knock on Ryan 6 years ago when he was leading up to the draft was his skating, same for Dylan 2 years ago. Did his parents just not care about skating and not take him to a power skating coach or anything? You figured they'd try to work on one of the kids skating instead of all of them having issues.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 06:07 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
How does this skating issue even happen? The knock on Ryan 6 years ago when he was leading up to the draft was his skating, same for Dylan 2 years ago. Did his parents just not care about skating and not take him to a power skating coach or anything? You figured they'd try to work on one of the kids skating instead of all of them having issues.
I'm sure the family has invested a lot in skating as well as private hockey academies, etc. To be fair to the parents' great accomplishment of having 2 sons become millionaires in the NHL already, they are about to see their 3rd get picked in the late-first/early second and get an ELC worth at least $2MM. Pretty sucessful if you ask me.

Matthew is enjoyable to watch. He IS slow but he is very good with the puck, great scoring touch, takes the body. He will play in the NHL eventually.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 11:33 PM
wings5

So his upside seems to be 3rd/4th line winger. Will be hard to become 3rd liner with such bad skating. 15 years ago he'd have a much higher chance of fulfilling this role in the NHL.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 11:37 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I'm sure the family has invested a lot in skating as well as private hockey academies, etc. To be fair to the parents' great accomplishment of having 2 sons become millionaires in the NHL already, they are about to see their 3rd get picked in the late-first/early second and get an ELC worth at least $2MM. Pretty sucessful if you ask me.

Matthew is enjoyable to watch. He IS slow but he is very good with the puck, great scoring touch, takes the body. He will play in the NHL eventually.
You don't make 2M on an ELC if you are stuck in the AHL.

93LEAFS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 11:37 AM
teravaineSAROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Lmao right?

teravaineSAROS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 01:35 PM
howkie

If he fix his skating, could he be a Pavelski light? I mean Pavelski has always been slow but made a career with his hockey sense and playing around the goal?

howkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 02:07 PM
derriko

vCash: 50
With the way a lot of coaches like to spread out offense, don't you think this guy could be a Maroon / Beleskey type as the 3rd cog on a skill line who does the dirty work? If he truly has good hands and a head on his shoulders, at his size I could see him in that role. Those guys just seemed to luck into their spots, and some, like Beleskey fall back to earth after they get demoted to the bottom six, but are still NHL players.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
With the way a lot of coaches like to spread out offense, don't you think this guy could be a Maroon / Beleskey type as the 3rd cog on a skill line who does the dirty work? If he truly has good hands and a head on his shoulders, at his size I could see him in that role. Those guys just seemed to luck into their spots, and some, like Beleskey fall back to earth after they get demoted to the bottom six, but are still NHL players.
Those are useful types of players especially when you have players that can elevate their linemates games on your team.

05-28-2017, 03:13 PM

Kid looks like he got stung in the face by a bee.

55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Absolutely. I think he has a pretty high ceiling actually. He could be a legit 1st line winger who puts up 60 points next to a skilled C. All depends how much he can fix his skating though, but if he improves it to at least a half-decent NHL level he could be a productive player. Wouldn't mind him on McDavids wing in the future. But if he doesn't improve his skating he's just not gonna be an NHLer period, which makes him a risky pick in the 1st round.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Absolutely. I think he has a pretty high ceiling actually. He could be a legit 1st line winger who puts up 60 points next to a skilled C. All depends how much he can fix his skating though, but if he improves it to at least a half-decent NHL level he could be a productive player. Wouldn't mind him on McDavids wing in the future. But if he doesn't improve his skating he's just not gonna be an NHLer period, which makes him a risky pick in the 1st round.
Not sure if his ceiling is that high, but he's a really smart player with great hands around the net for scoring or passing, something like Maroon when he was in Jr. It may take him a couple years to improve his skating. I rewatched the Top Prospects game and looked for him specifically and he seemed to be keeping up just fine. He need some first step work and to grow in to his huge frame. It's not like he's immobile out there. I'd be happy if the Flyers could get him at 44, even happier at 75

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 12:29 PM
TGWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
So his upside seems to be 3rd/4th line winger. Will be hard to become 3rd liner with such bad skating. 15 years ago he'd have a much higher chance of fulfilling this role in the NHL.
Upside depends on if his skating ever improves. It's not just foot speed, it's everything about his skating. He has every imaginable skill needed to achieve first line NHL minutes, except what you probably need the most - skating. If his speed and overall skating ability ever catches up to the players going in the first round, he's going to be better and have more upside than a lot of them.

Right now, I would take a risk on him with an early - mid 2nd for teams that have more than 1 2nd round pick. If Rangers were to quire a late second round pick, I'd be ok with them taking this risk.

Brian Boyle was a terrible skater. Hired a female figure skating star and greatly improved his skating. He's still not the best, but his speed and overall skating improved. I think Pavelski did the same. So the risk could be worth it.

TGWL is offline   Reply With Quote