HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 3)

Old
04-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Mooseheads and Wildcats are playing game 5 of their playoff series at the AUC on Friday night....should be interesting.
Just read that. Scheduling conflict with the Coliseum. Still a little surprised that they are playing at the Aitken Centre.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2015, 06:39 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Just read that. Scheduling conflict with the Coliseum. Still a little surprised that they are playing at the Aitken Centre.
Never thought I'd be working a game for the "local team" at the AUC. I'm the current timekeeper for the cats haha.

Didn't have many other choices. Only other rink in town with enough seats to host a Q playoff game (I think there's a mandated minimum number) is the JLL, and we tore the ice up March 31st. I just checked the Amherst Stadium and it says there's a rec hockey tournament on schedule.

People are freaking out here about the city giving Irving all that money, but guess what. You want to sign contracts and then not honour 'em, well that's what you get. Long overdue for another building here in town. More than enough events to keep the both of them going, even though it will surely lose us some events here on campus.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2015, 07:19 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Mooseheads and Wildcats are playing game 5 of their playoff series at the AUC on Friday night....should be interesting.
It is sure to give more ammunition to the "why can't we have a Q team in Fredericton" crowd.

And then eventually after the hubbub there will be the same reasoned explanation: "Because UNB owns the AUC, and millionaire team owners don't want to pay UNB a fair price to use the AUC. They're too used to cities bending over backwards for them for the prestige and those elusive 'economic spinoffs'".

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Does the 'Q' use video review? We don't have a video review system in-place at the AUC. Could be interesting.

Moncton hosting a 'home' game at the AUC - thought I had seen it all.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post

Didn't have many other choices. Only other rink in town with enough seats to host a Q playoff game (I think there's a mandated minimum number) is the JLL, and we tore the ice up March 31st. I just checked the Amherst Stadium and it says there's a rec hockey tournament on schedule.
I was wondering why they didn't just go to the JLL.

As for the series itself I went to the game last Saturday. Was not overly impressed with Dubeau. He has been rumored as being a VReds recruit.

Old
04-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
It is sure to give more ammunition to the "why can't we have a Q team in Fredericton" crowd.

And then eventually after the hubbub there will be the same reasoned explanation: "Because UNB owns the AUC, and millionaire team owners don't want to pay UNB a fair price to use the AUC. They're too used to cities bending over backwards for them for the prestige and those elusive 'economic spinoffs'".
.........and the city of Fredericton had the opportunity to build one big rink a decade ago that would have been able to accommodate a major junior team. Instead they chose to build two smaller ones.

Old
04-15-2015, 01:06 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Does the 'Q' use video review? We don't have a video review system in-place at the AUC. Could be interesting.

Moncton hosting a 'home' game at the AUC - thought I had seen it all.
I imagine they will have to rig up a temporary video review system. Could be coming out of the $125,000 the City of Moncton had to pay the Wildcats to move the game to the AUC.

Hearing that the JLL no longer has their ice in, and the building might not be up to Q specs (whatever they are ...).

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2015, 01:31 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Never thought I'd be working a game for the "local team" at the AUC. I'm the current timekeeper for the cats haha.

People are freaking out here about the city giving Irving all that money, but guess what. You want to sign contracts and then not honour 'em, well that's what you get. Long overdue for another building here in town. More than enough events to keep the both of them going, even though it will surely lose us some events here on campus.
Absolutely. Build a nice little 10,000-12,000 seat multipurpose arena for hockey, concerts, curling, or whatever else could require that seating, and use the coliseum for others events. Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester NH is absolutely beautiful, seats up to 11,770 (concerts), and is in a city about the same size as Moncton - it'd be a good model to work from.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2015, 08:33 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Anyone know what ticket prices are going to be?

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2015, 08:51 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anyone know what ticket prices are going to be?
I've been told that adult tickets are $16.50 + tax. Not sure about seniors, students, or children.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2015, 11:55 AM
timbitca

I'd typed up a reply yesterday but apparently forgot to hit Post.

Video review is mandatory. Every goal has to be reviewed upstairs before play is allowed to continue and the goal goes up on the board.

JLL no longer has ice, since March 31st. And thinking about it after my last post, now that the fire marshall has axed our maximum attendance and coupled with the renovations, we no longer meet the Q requirements for playoffs.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
My thought is: Did nobody see this coming?

I know that the Brandon Wheat Kings often lose their building for a period when the Winter Fair is on. So they play games at the MTS Centre, or the Winnipeg Arena in prior years. When they knew this possibility existed they would often play a couple regular season games in Winnipeg so as to be familiar with the building.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 07:14 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

With some UNB roster talk going on over in the recruiting thread I thought it was time to take a look at how the 2015/2016 roster is looking as of today....feel free to add any additional info that I may have missed/am not aware of:

DEPARTURES (4 skaters + 1 goalie)
G - David Shantz (eligibility)
F - Dana Fraser (eligibility)
F/D - R.D. Chishom (eligibility)
F - Cam Braes (graduation)
D - Adrian Robertson (graduation)

RETURNING (17 skaters + 1 Goalie)
G - Chris Carrozzi
F - Philippe Halley
F - Dylan Willick
F - Philippe Maillet
F - Taylor MacDougall
F - Cameron Critchlow
F - Tyler Carroll
F - Matt Boudens
F - Peter Trainor
F - Chris Caissy
F - Rob Mignardi
F - Cameron Brace
F - Francis Beauvillier
D - Alex Wall
D - Matt Petgrave
D - Colin Suellentrop
D - Jordan Murray
D - Randy Gazzola

RECRUITS
G - Alex Dubeau (rumour)
F - Stephen Anderson (rumour)

- From what I've heard Braes and Robertson are done even though they only played 3 years.

- Also hearing that MacDougall and Carroll will most likely be back for their 5th year.

- Remember they played 1 skater short all year last year so they can add 1 more skater than they lose this summer.

- Right now it looks like they will have 12 forwards and 5 defencemen back from last year. I would think that would mean adding at least 2 forwards and 2 defencemen, with the 5th guy being either (maybe someone who can play both??)

- With Fraser and Braes (most likely) gone, they are going to need to fill both the 1st and 2nd line centre position. I agree with the others that this makes Andersons supposed recruitment kind of surprising. Maybe they plan on moving Trainor up into one of those spots. That would still mean they would need to find at least 1 top-6 centre (preferably 1st line). I doubt they try Carroll at 1C again given how it didn't really work out last year as well as his his durability issues the last couple years.

- With, what appears to be, so few spots to fill one would think they would be able to focus on only the very top recruits this summer.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 05-30-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old
05-30-2015, 08:01 PM
freddy123

Bang on analysis from my perspective. Love the idea of a guy who can play both forward and defence with the roster cap. My only other questions are Carrozzi and Wall. I have no inside info but wondering if Carrozzi would come back given the playing time/dog house issue last season that was brought up here. Personally I'd like to see him come back and get a chance. He looked decent when he did get the chance to play. With Wall it's more just a question of if he graduated or not. It would be really nice to get another season out of him and to have his veteran presence on the blue line. Him coming back was a big part of the V-Reds picking up their play in the second half.

freddy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 08:51 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy123 View Post
With Wall it's more just a question of if he graduated or not. It would be really nice to get another season out of him and to have his veteran presence on the blue line. Him coming back was a big part of the V-Reds picking up their play in the second half.
I don't have any inside info either and obviously things change, but I heard from someone who is pretty close to the team that he intended to be here for two years. Hopefully that is true/still the case as, like you said, a healthy season out of him would go a long way.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 05-30-2015 at 08:57 PM.