Notices

Flint Firebirds 2017 Offseason Thread

Old
Yesterday, 06:09 PM
TcFlint

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrd828 View Post
Duchesne came to camp last year penciled in as a Top-4 D. He performed well in camp, and looked good in the first few games before injuring a knee and missing some time. He came back after that, and then suffered a concussion and missed some more games. During this time, Gordeev was acquired in the Bitten trade, and Nilsen (in particular) and Steinocher performed better than expected. Duchesne by no fault of his own fell behind the others on the depth chart. He also battled an ankle injury during the season that didn't help him either. He truly didn't get a fair shake mostly by circumstance, but also in part by the coaching staff, who seem to want to rely very heavily on the top of their lineup (i.e.: Peters, Henderson, Smereck all seeming to play 25+ minutes each night). Unfortunately for Duchesne, I don't see his situation changing much this year, especially if Smereck returns, as I see the coaching staff giving Gordeev and Busby the minutes that had belonged to Peters and Henderson. Gretz being a high draft pick that the team will want to invest in further complicates matters. We'll see soon enough how it all shakes out, but I'll be very surprised if we don't see Duchesne traded at some point. Hate to say it, but it may be the best thing for his hockey career if he is. Sucks for Flint fans, because he sure as hell is entertaining to watch play hockey!
If Duchesne is back and healthy, you would have to think he would be a top 2 or 4 defenseman on this team, if Sereck comes back or not. One would think that Busby and Gordeev would be in the top 4 as well. Would not be shocked if Flint targets a D-Man in a trade and in the import draft tomorrow.

TcFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 06:28 PM
MJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcFlint View Post
If Duchesne is back and healthy, you would have to think he would be a top 2 or 4 defenseman on this team, if Sereck comes back or not. One would think that Busby and Gordeev would be in the top 4 as well. Would not be shocked if Flint targets a D-Man in a trade and in the import draft tomorrow.
Definitely thinking D-Man tomorrow in the import for sure.

MJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Firebrd828

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcFlint View Post
Right now, they have:

Smereck (I'll put him at 50/50 returning)
Gordeev
Busby
Duchesne
Nilsen
Gretz

I'd like to think you're right, but last year at this time, his prospects looked eerily similar.

Last edited by Firebrd828: Yesterday at 06:58 PM.
Firebrd828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:47 PM
FireBird71

I think they'll target the best player who will come regardless of position

FireBird71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:00 PM
TcFlint

I have nothing against Steinocher. I agree with Savard and others that we cannot keep missing on these import players, which are valuable commodities in the OHL. That makes Kantner and Steinocher we have missed on. Let's hope for much better luck tomorrow!

TcFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:16 PM
MJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBird71 View Post
I think they'll target the best player who will come regardless of position
Also thin at Center, so I'd assume it would be one of D or C.

Old
Yesterday, 10:28 PM
Savard18

I'm not even sure they even missed on Steinocher either. The people making the decisions have much more impressive hockey resumes than me but....you cannot give a 16yo DEFENSEMAN who's coming from a different country one year to adapt to a new culture, new ice surface size, new style of game with very limited minutes in 40 games. He grew from 6-5 to 6-8 in a short period of time before the season. That can't be easy. The ice surface thing is no joke either. I've played on Olympic size ice and the adjustment is big. It's different for real and I can only imagine making that adjustment in reverse is more difficult. Not many 16yo D look impressive PERIOD. Nobody was gonna confuse his skating with Pavel Bure but I remember Zdeno Chara and other tall, lanky D being a mess when they stepped up the next level. He showed flashes of potential and I would have liked see another year of development before parting ways. They get to keep the rights to Vesalainen and hopefully they can score a quality Center or D in the Import draft. It would be nice if Kislinger is better than his numbers indicate because they're not real impressive. Ouhlahen scored big with his last North Bay acquisition so let's hope lightning strikes twice.

Savard18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 07:42 AM
Firebrd828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savard18 View Post
I'm not even sure they even missed on Steinocher either. The people making the decisions have much more impressive hockey resumes than me but....you cannot give a 16yo DEFENSEMAN who's coming from a different country one year to adapt to a new culture, new ice surface size, new style of game with very limited minutes in 40 games. He grew from 6-5 to 6-8 in a short period of time before the season. That can't be easy. The ice surface thing is no joke either. I've played on Olympic size ice and the adjustment is big. It's different for real and I can only imagine making that adjustment in reverse is more difficult. Not many 16yo D look impressive PERIOD. Nobody was gonna confuse his skating with Pavel Bure but I remember Zdeno Chara and other tall, lanky D being a mess when they stepped up the next level. He showed flashes of potential and I would have liked see another year of development before parting ways. They get to keep the rights to Vesalainen and hopefully they can score a quality Center or D in the Import draft. It would be nice if Kislinger is better than his numbers indicate because they're not real impressive. Ouhlahen scored big with his last North Bay acquisition so let's hope lightning strikes twice.
You forgot to add that he was asked to play forward for probably half of the games for which he was dressed.

I would say this in the team's defense...let's not rule out the possibility that the reason that Steinocher isn't returning is because Steinocher doesn't want to return. There could be a bunch of reasons for this...ice time, playing out of position, homesick, better opportunity, girlfriend back home...who knows???

Firebrd828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 09:39 AM
Toldyaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrd828 View Post
You forgot to add that he was asked to play forward for probably half of the games for which he was dressed.

I would say this in the team's defense...let's not rule out the possibility that the reason that Steinocher isn't returning is because Steinocher doesn't want to return. There could be a bunch of reasons for this...ice time, playing out of position, homesick, better opportunity, girlfriend back home...who knows???
I can certainly see that being a possibility.

Toldyaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 10:29 AM
MJ5

Firebirds selected Nikita Alexandrov - D

Shoots:
Height: 6.05
Weight: 154
Hometown:
Last Team: Balashikha HC MVD
Nationality: Russian

Another big Dman.

Old
Today, 10:40 AM
Toldyaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5 View Post
Firebirds selected Nikita Alexandrov - D

Shoots:
Height: 6.05
Weight: 154
Hometown:
Last Team: Balashikha HC MVD
Nationality: Russian

Another big Dman.
Elite prospects lists him at 6-6 185 lbs. He's an 18 yr old as well.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312812

Toldyaso is offline   Reply With Quote