HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oh no! we suck again...

Old
03-12-2014, 08:22 AM
silkyjohnson50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
If Datsyuk retires at the end of his contract (2017) how many of those guys will be able to contribute as top 6 centers though?

Z will be 37.
Legwand will be 37.
Weiss will be bought out, or continue to be hurt and suck.

So in 2017 we are going to have Sheahan, a bunch of dinosaurs, and the ghost of Darren Helm.

That is exactly when we will have needed someone like Jarnkrok.
If Jarnkrok actually develops into a top 6 center, which you and I both know still remains a question mark.

In the mean time we're still developing the likes of Janmark and AA, as well as what we draft this season (which seems likely to be a 10-18 pick).

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 08:46 AM
lilja4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Season isn't over.
it pretty much is, though.

take a look at the schedule - do you see this team making the playoffs without D + Z?

lilja4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
All overreacting. Season isn't over.
Obviously not. The Wings are in the middle of a dogfight with every other bubble team. They are all just as afraid of the Wings going on a winning streak. Nobody would be surprised to see that happen, particularly if Franzen goes on a tear again.

But given the injuries, I also wouldn't be surprised if they miss by a point or two. Legwand gives them a fighting chance and I've been pleased with his play, so that's a positive, at least.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilja4mvp View Post
it pretty much is, though.

take a look at the schedule - do you see this team making the playoffs without D + Z?
Well, why bother finishing out the year then, if we can just predict the winners and losers? It's a virtual dead heat, so I don't know how anybody can say with certainty which team is going to slip in. I could pick 5 teams right now for the coin flip.

There's only a handful of teams that are locks to win most of their games and those teams aren't the ones the Wings are competing with for the final playoff spots.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin1981 View Post
We have tops 3 years (maybe by some miracle dats signs a 1 year deal when this contract is over) to draft a 18-19 year old center and pray he developes into at worst a tweener 2nd-3rd line type at the age of 21-22 when dats retires that still hopefully will have a developement arc to get to a 2a 2b situation with sheahan. Because no team anymore allows a core d or center that is good and still physically healthy to hit fa unless that player says **** that to whatever team they are on and wants to strike onward to fa to go to a winner (ala suter, parise example though I personally don't understand why they went where they did). And that is assuming dats hooks the wings up with a additional year for the team. If not we need a 20-21 year old to be a 2nd-3rd tweener type center 1 year earlier.

And sadly we won't suck enough to get to the 5-7 pick range to be able to pick up a center at the draft. This isn't 1987-1995 anymore where we are head and shoulders above the rest of the league at scouting anymore the other teams caught up (sans the oilers but they are a disgrace to the sport and a even bigger disgrace to there fans). Because of holland being a coward and no longer having a pair to make decisive and timely decisions we will now morph into the new calgary flames.
With all due respect: You are throwing a lot of these players under the Bus with Age.

Can Z play another 5 years. I think Yes.
Can D play another 4 years. I think Yes.
Weiss has sucked, But he can play 5 years.
Legwand has been a model of a healthy player. He could play 4-5 Years at least.
Sheahan can play another 10 years.
Helm… Uhhh who knows! Could have 10 Years or None.

That looks a lot more like 5 years of having arguably 3 Legit quality Centers, even if HELM never comes back OR Sheahan regresses OR Weiss never pans out. We still have 3 Quality Centers if only 2 of those things happen probably for 5 years.

Also if you want all your players to be 27 and under. Well I am sorry, we just are not in the position.

Jarnkrok/Pulks/Sheahan/Tatar/Nyquist/Ferraro/Dekeyser/Smith/Kindl/Mantha…. I really am not feeling a stanley cup with that "group" going forward anyway. You say Edmonton is a "Disgrace"? Well thats the plan they are going with… ALL young kids. Maybe they too dumb to realize that all forwards can't win games, but hey. Are team just isn't bad enough to get new stars in the draft. Not yet. Our "FUTURE" team gets better if we Rebuild Buffalo style. Does anyone want that?
I don't not until D/Z retire. So that gives us about 5 years. And Jarnkrok can not just be left in the minors that long. We would have lost him anyway.

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 09:12 AM
lilja4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Well, why bother finishing out the year then, if we can just predict the winners and losers? It's a virtual dead heat, so I don't know how anybody can say with certainty which team is going to slip in. I could pick 5 teams right now for the coin flip.

There's only a handful of teams that are locks to win most of their games and those teams aren't the ones the Wings are competing with for the final playoff spots.
it would be a dead heat if this team were somewhat healthy. unfortunately, they have been pretty consistent with their inability to win without D + Z. that's not changing any time soon.

lilja4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 13m
Columbus' Blake Comeau will have a phone hearing with NHL today for his check from behind on the Wings' Brendan Smith Tuesday.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

We blew all of our games in hand. I just can't see us winning with our entire center corps out. As if to add insult to injury, Jurco is now injured. I don't know what to do anymore. This team. It's too injured.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

@TPLHockey
More fun facts: This was Jurco's 26th & Sheahan's 27th game of the season. This is their rookie season, ineligible for Calder after '14.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 10:02 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurky View Post
Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 13m
Columbus' Blake Comeau will have a phone hearing with NHL today for his check from behind on the Wings' Brendan Smith Tuesday.
They should honestly take his cross-check into consideration. He had no regard for other players out there.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Also owning up to my terrible prediction that the Wings were going to win à la Mark Messier style.

I can't change my username, so I will just put it in my user title.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Also owning up to my terrible prediction that the Wings were going to win à la Mark Messier style.

I can't change my username, so I will just put it in my user title.
If only you were in the locker room last night, Doc. You coulda lit a fire under their ***** and been back in time for the OK Corral.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Doc Messier has a nice ring to it.

Old
03-12-2014, 02:30 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Comeau got two games for his boarding of Smith.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Quote:
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Blake Comeau has been suspended for two games, without pay, for boarding Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith during NHL Game No. 979 in Columbus on Tuesday, March 11, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Spitfire11

Good. And seriously, how did the refs get suckered by Comeau's dive when Smith confronted him? Dumb as wood, those guys...

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:25 PM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Comeau got two games for his boarding of Smith.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads
I'm glad we got a minor powerplay for a hit that was major enough to warrant a 2 game suspension.

(Not that a 5 minute Red Wing power play would have accomplished anything, but hey it's something else to complain about)

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:29 PM
ap3x

that's what i thought at first...

ap3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
(Not that a 5 minute Red Wing power play would have accomplished anything, but hey it's something else to complain about)
True, but at least that Crosby-looking sack of **** wouldn't have been in the game to crosscheck Jurco.

Old
03-12-2014, 04:13 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
I'm glad we got a minor powerplay for a hit that was major enough to warrant a 2 game suspension.

True. But if it was a 5 minute major like it should have been, the jackets probably don't score their first goal

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
odin1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post
With all due respect: You are throwing a lot of these players under the Bus with Age.

Can Z play another 5 years. I think Yes.
Can D play another 4 years. I think Yes.
Weiss has sucked, But he can play 5 years.
Legwand has been a model of a healthy player. He could play 4-5 Years at least.
Sheahan can play another 10 years.
Helm… Uhhh who knows! Could have 10 Years or None.

That looks a lot more like 5 years of having arguably 3 Legit quality Centers, even if HELM never comes back OR Sheahan regresses OR Weiss never pans out. We still have 3 Quality Centers if only 2 of those things happen probably for 5 years.

Also if you want all your players to be 27 and under. Well I am sorry, we just are not in the position.

Jarnkrok/Pulks/Sheahan/Tatar/Nyquist/Ferraro/Dekeyser/Smith/Kindl/Mantha…. I really am not feeling a stanley cup with that "group" going forward anyway. You say Edmonton is a "Disgrace"? Well thats the plan they are going with… ALL young kids. Maybe they too dumb to realize that all forwards can't win games, but hey. Are team just isn't bad enough to get new stars in the draft. Not yet. Our "FUTURE" team gets better if we Rebuild Buffalo style. Does anyone want that?
I don't not until D/Z retire. So that gives us about 5 years. And Jarnkrok can not just be left in the minors that long. We would have lost him anyway.
I am in no way, shape, or form calling for the majority of the team to be 27 or under. Legwand hasn't been bad but unless he is the rare minority of players who don't make a significant regression in their ability from 35+ on its not looking good. I will say and compliment him for actually looking like a second line center (screw you weiss). But to think that we reisign him and that he has more than two years tops at his current level is not a bet we should make.

Z will more than likely be forced to move back to center on our first line when dats retires. But we won't have a 1a 1b situation anymore where one can take and grab hold of the center position when the other needs to recover. Also for 3-4 years people have wanted someone who fits the bill as a competant two center so we can actually play them on a line together but it hasn't happened. Also a 36+ year old Z going forward with no help in regards to first line center duty will probably break down during the second half of the season(s) going forward.

The disgrace of the oilers is because the management team that sucks and should never be employed in hockey again. They have been rebuilding for 8 years with top 5 picks. There scouting sucks and there development staff is a shambles as well. They have no veteren leadership worthy of leading kids threw the growing pains of adulthood and maturing into finished products. The three year #1 pick of ineptitude was such a joke. You build down the middle. Only one pick was a center and he needed (or needs) a 1-3 year arc of ahl time. He is also the only pick I agree that they made. Though I will admit I fault there fans as well. They still sell out with all that has went on and the total lack of respect to the city by putting out a **** product. If they really hate the direction there team has went they would start hitting management where it hurts. Their pocketbook to force changes.

Our young kids if built with regards to the depth approach (ala bruins) will work. I have no idea why you included kindl in that group but whatever. Sadly it is the only choice we have unless we accept that we have to tank to reload. Because when you only see 20+ first round picks the talent available is a drop off compared to top 10. This year is actually a fine reason to accept a top 15 pick. The team couldn't get traction with the injuries. Our number 1 goalie has had a stat outlier (I hope) bad year. Our defense is coming in the next 1-3 years if we allow them to grow into roles. Yes smith should have been on the team paired with lidas to show him the ropes for a year. It sure as hell beats what people are calling for this year in ufa to overpay for a 35+ third pairing d men. Or trading a metric **** ton of assets for a non impact player (edler type).

Our centers I am not throwing under the bus. Z and D our still elite but they need proper support going forward. They are reaching a age where they will not be able to give 110% threwout the regular season and able to crank it up to 125% for 25-30 games in the playoffs. I am actually being realistic. Legwand could do well for 2-3 years if there isn't a significant drop off in play from him. But anything over 3 years is just totally unrealistic. Weiss is probably going forward the worst signing we have made (yes even worse then quincey that **** bird doesn't have a nmc not that anyone would want him). Helm? Who is that? Oh you mean the player that is almost always on the ir list for the past 3 years?

odin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 05:11 PM
petoNHL

vCash: 505
Tomáš Jurčo

Hockey is tough sport. I think im out for couple of games with broken rib. I hope the team is gonna do well and we will make the playoffs.

petoNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
rx7dryver

I want to know why Sammy was called up and conveniently damaged his shoulder again.

Last edited by SoupNazi: 03-12-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: ...
rx7dryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7dryver View Post
I want to know why Sammy was called up and conveniently damaged his shoulder again.
As long as he doesn't find his way into the lineup, who cares?

Old
03-12-2014, 09:00 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
As long as he doesn't find his way into the lineup, who cares?
Exactly. I honestly don't care, as long as he doesn't suit up again. And it doesn't sound like he will.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 09:23 PM
RedWingzz
#20in07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post

A dead heat? Have you watched this team play without Dats and Z? When one is out, fine we still have a chance, but the other has to carry the team. When both are out we are an absolute mess. We need 4 point nights and hattricks from Franzen, or we lose. We have won 20% of games when missing both of them, what makes you think the team will instantly find a way to win without them. the season is all but over, barring a miraculous stretch down the run, but it is not likely at all.

RedWingzz is offline   Reply With Quote