HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most overrated team in the East/West, who is it?

Old
07-23-2014, 11:43 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajacied View Post
Defensively sure. Suter is amazing, though the remaining blueliners are hardly spectacular. Offensively, the Stars have better depth..
Brodin (as a 19 year old) is considered to be one of the best young defensemen in the NHL. He's close to OEL. Would you consider OEL not spectacular?

Scandella and Spurgeon aren't going to be household names but they were some of our best defensemen last year. Solid two-way defensemen and Spurgeon did well in the playoffs. Just because you haven't heard of them, doesn't mean they suck.

Stars don't have better depth than Minnesota offensively. They just traded a chunk of their depth for Spezza.

Benn, Cole, Eakin, Eaves, Fiddler, Garbutt, Hemsky, Horcoff, Nichushkin, Roussel, Sceviour, Seguin, Spezza?

You can't even count on Peverley coming back due to his heart condition.

Parise, Pominville, Vanek, Koivu, Granlund, Coyle, Neiddereiter, Haula, Brodziak, Cooke.

Dallas has better centers, Minnesota has better wings. They have solid bottom 6 though. It's about even.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Homer J Simpson
AKA Homer J. Fong

vCash: 2347
East - Rags
West - Ducks

Last edited by Homer J Simpson: 08-31-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Homer J Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 01:02 PM
DallasStarsfan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Brodin (as a 19 year old) is considered to be one of the best young defensemen in the NHL. He's close to OEL. Would you consider OEL not spectacular?

Scandella and Spurgeon aren't going to be household names but they were some of our best defensemen last year. Solid two-way defensemen and Spurgeon did well in the playoffs. Just because you haven't heard of them, doesn't mean they suck.

Stars don't have better depth than Minnesota offensively. They just traded a chunk of their depth for Spezza.

Benn, Cole, Eakin, Eaves, Fiddler, Garbutt, Hemsky, Horcoff, Nichushkin, Roussel, Sceviour, Seguin, Spezza?

You can't even count on Peverley coming back due to his heart condition.

Parise, Pominville, Vanek, Koivu, Granlund, Coyle, Neiddereiter, Haula, Brodziak, Cooke.

Dallas has better centers, Minnesota has better wings. They have solid bottom 6 though. It's about even.
The Stars really only traded Chiasson for Spezza, the other two players are prospects who are a couple of years away. But I agree the Wild and Stars are about even when it comes to fowards. I'll also add that Minnesota has the advantage on defense and the Stars have the advantage in net. I agree a lot of people don't know too much about Scandella and Spurgeon, who had good years.

DallasStarsfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 01:07 PM
The Grim Reaper

East - Pittsburgh
West - San Jose

The Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
It's honestly incredible how exaggerated the Eastern vs Western conference comparisons have gotten. People just keep mindlessly repeating the same recycled garbage until they convince each other that it's true. If I was dumb enough to just listen to people on the internet and not check anything for myself, or actually watch hockey, then I'd be given the impression that the East was full of Sabres-like teams and the West were all Blackhawks-like.

Eastern playoff teams record against Western teams

Bruins: 18-4-7

Penguins: 17-10-1

Flyers: 15-10-3

Lightning: 14-11-3

Rangers: 14-13-1

Canadiens: 14-12-2

Blue Jackets: 13-11-4

Red Wings: 13-10-5

Eastern playoff teams record against Western playoff teams

Bruins: 9-2-5

Penguins: 7-8-1

Flyers: 7-8-1

Lightning: 8-8-0

Rangers: 7-8-1

Canadiens: 7-8-1

Blue Jackets: 6-6-4

Red Wings: 7-5-4

So was the west better last year? Yes, but it was pretty close. Especially when you consider how incredibly lopsided the East vs West was in the beginning of the year, which was then leveled out in the 2nd half of the year.

At one point the West had a record of 73-29-11 against the East, a 69.5 point percentage.

At the end of the year the Wests record was 246-150-56, which is a 54.4 point percentage.

So again, yes, the west was better, but the exaggerations are just ridiculous sometimes.
Quick question: Did you watch both conferences in the playoffs? I really couldn't see the Rangers---the best playoff team in the east---beating Chicago, LA, or Anaheim in a 7 game series (some would say Sharks too, but we all know better).

While it's easy to use regular season stats to say the teams were close, as a Sharks fan, I can tell you regular season is not the same as postseason.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Quick question: Did you watch both conferences in the playoffs? I really couldn't see the Rangers---the best playoff team in the east---beating Chicago, LA, or Anaheim in a 7 game series (some would say Sharks too, but we all know better).

While it's easy to use regular season stats to say the teams were close, as a Sharks fan, I can tell you regular season is not the same as postseason.
Well I don't think the Rangers were the best team in the East at all. They beat both the Flyers and Habs but both teams had starting goaltenders missing games so I think either one of them could have had a much better chance at beating the Rangers if they had them all series. The Flyers made it to seven games and the Habs made it to six. I also think the Bruins are easily better but they were taken out by the Habs. I doubt the Flyers could've won against the Kings, but I think the Habs and Bruins would've had a better chance than the Rangers.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 07:13 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
hard to over-rate anyone in the West given the strength of the teams. I'm going to say the Hawks are over-rated. A lot of people have them as locks for a top 3 team in the West. I think they'll definitely be in the playoffs but other teams have a chance to leap over them in the standings. You can be overrated and still universally acknowledged as a playoff team, right?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Team's who make big moves in the offseason are often overrated
So teams who don't get underrated

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote