HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Will some non NHL players get a NHL contract or scouted from this tournament?

Old
02-17-2014, 06:24 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
OKT was rumored to be coming over this past summer, but was injured and never ended up signing with Nashville. I'm assuming he'll be back in the NHL though. Komarov and Mursak will likely be back as well if they want to.
I was gonna bring this up too. Supposedly him and the Preds had a deal in place. Wonder what will happen this summer.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikfromfin View Post
The other question is do those players want to play in the NHL. 2 finns for example

Leo Komarov was made offers last summer but he chose KHL. In the NHL Komarov is 4th line checker/agitator but in KHL he is top line offensive forward. And he earns more money at the moment in KHL than he would have in NHL. So why would leo want to play 80 games in NHL hitting players with less money than playing top6 and being better players in KHL. Sure the prestige of NHL is in his mind but his gonna need better offers to join and has said that himself. Not sure how many NHL teams are prepared to give him that.

Other example is Jori Lehterä. St.Louis blues have made him numerous contract offers and he has turned them down. In KHL Lehterä is top3 centers in the entire league if not the best. He also earns a lot of money there why would he turn that away to be 2nd or 3rd line player in ST.Louis Blues. It serves him better as hockey player to be top goto guy in KHL using his offensive skills and getting lots of ice time and responsibilites rather than being a depth guy in ST. Louis organization.

St.Louis offer to Jori
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...tay-in-russia/
Actually Komarov has stated numerous times that he wants to go back to NHL "badly". Since he's a UFA he can choose which team wants him the most, ie. offers him the best role and money.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 01:06 AM
cosmicnavigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Based on the games I've seen.

Jan Laco, Ziga Jeglic, Komarov and Bodenmann.
Ziga Jeglic are you for real he didnt light up the SEL 2 or the FEL if he get one you have hundreds of better players in the premier leagues in europe.

cosmicnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 03:32 AM
JureEe
Go Kings Go!

Gračnar (SLO-G played against USA) could be drafted

JureEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 03:54 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
The oilers should give Ole Kristian Tollefsen a call.
Some of these goalies need to be had a call. Especially Slovenias

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 04:45 AM
chauron

St. Louis should really sign Jori Lehterä.

chauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 05:02 AM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauron View Post
St. Louis should really sign Jori Lehterä.
We tried. He chose to re-sign in KHL for the money and I really don't blame him.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 05:05 AM
theAK11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicnavigator View Post
Ziga Jeglic are you for real he didnt light up the SEL 2 or the FEL if he get one you have hundreds of better players in the premier leagues in europe.
His game is more suited to big ice, so he might succeed in KHL. He still has a lot to prove in DEL though.

theAK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 06:30 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Any left wing for the Kings would be ideal...Slovenia's Robert Sabolič would come to mind... I think Kovalchuk may have screwed himself out of a roster spot due to character alone...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 06:45 AM
SoundAndFury

People suggesting that the likes of Jeglič, Laco or Kristan have to be offered an NHL contract show exactly why they are not the scouts of any kind Player that has one good/lucky isn't necessarily good. Sure, Kristan made quite a few nice saves today but he's also one of the main reasons why Slovenians will be playing in WC D1A this year.

Now Sabolic pops up..

02-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
People suggesting that the likes of Jeglič, Laco or Kristan have to be offered an NHL contract show exactly why they are not the scouts of any kind Player that has one good/lucky isn't necessarily good. Sure, Kristan made quite a few nice saves today but he's also one of the main reasons why Slovenians will be playing in WC D1A this year.

Now Sabolic pops up..

Yup. Often, people will see a couple good games and assume that it must be NHL caliber talent because there's other NHL talent around. The talent needs to be contextualized in order for the conclusions to be valid. Which is why, as noted, many of us are not scouts. It's not that easy.

For me, whoever I am, the mix of most likely able to translate his game and most likely to come over for me in this tournament has been Roman Wick. I think he could play in the NHL, but he probably wouldn't even have a Soderberg-level of impact. Guys like Ziga Jeglic are well short of the line to gain. Jeglic doesn't even look KHL caliber to my eye. Kristan and Gracnar, also underwhelming.

Let me add to Wick one name. Antti Pihlstrom. He could make as a pest/agitator if the stars aligned I feel. But honestly, there's not a lot here that looks worthy of a contract.

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 07:20 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
But honestly, there's not a lot here that looks worthy of a contract.
I think that's because NHL does a really good job scouting the players nowadays, even the ones from pretty obscure leagues (M. Raffl from Allsvenskan, Korobov from Belorussian league got their contracts), there's really not a lot of NHL talent left out there and the one which is left are mostly role players.

Also it's really hard to notice the player if he doesn't have any flashy offensive side. Like Patrick Thoresen, I see him a ton in the KHL and I know for a fact that he could play in the NHL if only he wanted to. But would I be able to tell that after seeing him in these Olympics? Absolutely not.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Gerin

I don't know why people keep bringing up Jeglic, even based of this tournament he disappeares for most the game and shows flashes in the offensive end got a good shot but won't get looked at by any NHL team.

Mursak good in offensive zone
M.Olimb looked really good today very hungry for the puck almost looked as if it was following him
I've always liked Wick of the Swiss

Russians probably won't but Medvedev been one of Russia's best D, Popov decent player with good work ethic, tereshchenko good at faceoffs good 2way KHL players both Popov + tereshchenko could be solid depth players.

Only problem can't be just good enough to play in the NHL teams have players like Mursak, Olimb and Wick gotta be the right team at the right time

Gerin is offline   Reply With Quote