HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT Hedgefund billionaires to buy NBA Milwaukee Bucks for ~$550mm

Old
06-28-2014, 07:55 AM
NickWIHockey

vCash: 500
the problem with walkers idea is that the taxes on the players aren't enough to cover a 200 million dollar investment by the state, not unless you are tapping it for at least 10-15 years and i doubt the voters will approve of it, they are very much against any sort of public money for the Bucks, if polls are to be believed.

NickWIHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWIHockey View Post
the problem with walkers idea is that the taxes on the players aren't enough to cover a 200 million dollar investment by the state, not unless you are tapping it for at least 10-15 years and i doubt the voters will approve of it, they are very much against any sort of public money for the Bucks, if polls are to be believed.
Have you ever heard of a "bond issue"?

It's simple, you just issue a bond for 200 millions. And run this tax (calibrated to raise just enough money to pay the bond issue every year for the thirty years you still have to pay!)

Now, I didn't crunch the numbers about it, but he certainly did. And that seems like a great idea.

A City needs this kind of infrastructure for shows, events and sports. And if they dont take the deal to pay very little for it. They'll be stuck in ten years with no team, regrets, and having to spend 400 millions themselves to build it anyway.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 06:24 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
So how does that differ from what I said? The NBA would buy the team. That wouldn't prevent say Craig Leipold and Mark Attanasio joining forces and winning the bidding war to keep the team in Milwaukee. Like I said, that's obviously not likely but I don't think there's anything the NBA could do about it. Unless they took a lesser offer from somebody else to move the team.

Anyways.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...a=twt&page=all
Based on the way it reads the NBA would sell to an out town buyer. Remember its the NBA that has the option to buy not the owners who have an option to sell. Also, Kohl has agreed to put up $100 million and the new owners have agreed to put in another $100 million, if a deal can't get done with $200 million in private money its not getting done.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 02:11 PM
GuelphStormer

i think all this talk about the nba forcing ANOTHER owner to sell their franchise is absurd. especially one whose only sin is that the city in which their franchise is located hasn't jumped quick enough to use public money to build a bunch of billionaires another shiny new arena. there is less than zero chance that silver would take on that sort of PR nightmare.

seattle fans, sorry but you are going to have to get your own team the old fashion way ... earn it ... first, by building your own shiny new arena. tick tock.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 07:43 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Just a quick update on this.

The minority owners have invested $84.5 million in the team. No word on how much, if any of that will be used for a new arena.

They've eliminated some locations for a new arena and want to have a site picked out in the next 3-4 months.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2014, 10:38 AM
NickWIHockey

I'm guessing that the arena will be multipurpose, so the potential of bringing in an NHL team as a tenant remains a possibility. Wisconsin is a good hockey state.

Old
08-28-2014, 11:02 AM
ChiefBlackhawk

We are assuming Multipurpose since the Admirals might not be able to run the Bradley Center as the main tenant after the bucks move to the new arena. and three Arenas in town are two to many.

ChiefBlackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2014, 01:24 PM
NickWIHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBlackhawk View Post
We are assuming Multipurpose since the Admirals might not be able to run the Bradley Center as the main tenant after the bucks move to the new arena. and three Arenas in town are two to many.
The BC is likely going to be torn down, after the new one is built. The Arena is the home of the UWM Panthers and Milwaukee Wave, I imagine either the Admirals will be a tenant of a new building or an NHL team will come in , and Absorb the Admirals moniker and players to maintain continuity..