HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall stickhandling golf ball

Old
07-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
According to a friend of mine (drafted to the NHL).. Datsyuk and Zetterberg would practice by playing 5 vs 2 shinny, and would OFTEN win.
Like.. Against NHLers or regular people?

Either way, doesn't make sense. Because 5 NHLers can shut down 2 players.
And regular people should ALWAYS lose to 2 superstars like those two.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:25 PM
awesomo
HARD!

its good tht hes doing that, i remember doug weight practiced stick handling as a kid with a ping pong ball

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:38 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

As for Datsyuk vs Crosby vs Kane vs Zetterberg - it wouldn't even really be close.

Hank vs Crosby is an auto-loss for Crosby - it has been in every head-to-head matchup between the 2 that I've seen. Crosby hates playing against Zetterberg. Also keep in mind Crosby's ability to retrieve the puck from someone possessing it is nowhere in the league of someone like Datsyuk/Z.

Z has said on many occasions that when he and Pav play 1-on-1 (they love playing keep-away against each other in various areas of the ice; open ice, along the boards, behind the net, etc) he gets clowned by Datsyuk everytime.

Kane is a magician, but he's no take-away artist like Datsyuk/Z - he also struggles to play the way he does along the boards. Various times Datsyuk has absolutely shut him down.

To me - Datsyuk wins that battle everytime, and it's not really close at all.

Better competitors - Marian Hossa, Jaromir Jagr, Lars Eller, Evgeni Malkin

This is an interesting clip showing an example of how Pav/Z practise holding onto the puck in simulated in-game situations. This is stuff you don't coach - but players intuitively work on:

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:42 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

RNH on Lidstrom, since I can't embed this.
Only guys I've seen burn Lidstrom like that before were prime Bure/Forsberg - their speed would give Lidstrom fits - even when Lidstrom was in his prime.

That being said - they'd never do it with regularity.

RNH's move was spectacular - I don't know if it would have worked on a prime Lidstrom with his speed and awareness - perhaps it was a sign that his play was slipping a bit as he approached retirement (in his last season he was playing #3/4 ES minutes).

But forget all that - did you hear the way the Rexall crowd reacted to such a subtle move? RNH with his mojo going gets that crowd riled up a way I haven't heard since Hemsky in 06. Unbelievable. The move was spectacular in itself - but the crowd knew who he'd just pulled it on as well. High IQ crowd folks - in Cowtown they'd just be confused.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Beef03

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Only guys I've seen burn Lidstrom like that before were prime Bure/Forsberg - their speed would give Lidstrom fits - even when Lidstrom was in his prime.

That being said - they'd never do it with regularity.

RNH's move was spectacular - I don't know if it would have worked on a prime Lidstrom with his speed and awareness - perhaps it was a sign that his play was slipping a bit as he approached retirement (in his last season he was playing #3/4 ES minutes).

But forget all that - did you hear the way the Rexall crowd reacted to such a subtle move? RNH with his mojo going gets that crowd riled up a way I haven't heard since Hemsky in 06. Unbelievable. The move was spectacular in itself - but the crowd knew who he'd just pulled it on as well. High IQ crowd folks - in Cowtown they'd just be confused.
The move was amazing. The ironic part of it all is, in a thread extoling Hall's stickhandling, it's Hall missing the net completely on the shot after RNH undresses Lidstrom.

* On second viewing, I see that's Eberle not Hall, saw the 4

Beef03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

RNH on Lidstrom, since I can't embed this.
Yep, I've seen it and I love it but in a game of keep away those sort of circumstances don't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Edgework matters a lot more than dangles in a game of keep away.
If you're playing a tight game of keep away I'd argue that, at best, both are equally as important.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

the thing about dangles is that they usually only work at speed and maybe 1 move max.

same thing in soccer.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote