HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lightning sign D Dan Girardi (2 years, $3M AAV)

Old
07-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky04 View Post
Great point for anyone using the "he blocks shots" argument, great he'll injury himself again, such a positive.
He was really durable for a long time and if he played through injuries it wasn't super noticeable, but these past several years he's definitely had some that affected his mobility and he tried to play through them.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No he's not. If he was his analytics wouldn't be so terrible. He's bad at moving the puck at any time unless he has un-pressured time to look up and make a play. Under pressure he immediately just throws the puck up the boards.

that is pretty much our entire team but hedman and stralman when straw is on lmfao

No it's not. The Rangers successful breakouts are when they can move the puck to the forwards in open ice off the boards. Girardi is terrible at this, he mostly just moves the puck along the boards. i said he was not great at stretch passes but we have forwards back if he can do short quick passes to them he will be fine. He cannot be much worse then carle became or sustr is honestly.. if he is he will get benched

But yes he can block shots but it might end up injuring him again with another broken foot or knee cap or whatever that will limit his mobility even more.

I'd like to see this quote if you can find it because if true that's just incredible and I'm even more glad he's gone. He was a long time veteran, he built his life and family in NYC, it's not like he was some guy who came in and just didn't fit.

The issue is that even compared to his teammates or to pretty much anyone else in the league, Girardi was bad. He demonstrably pulled down McDonagh's numbers. Yes the Rangers weren't a puck possession team and it's fair to bring that up but both by the eye test and the numbers test, Girardi showed up as poor with the puck.

Playing a different system could definitely help him though. That definitely is a failing where he was expected to play in a more skating style defensive system rather than a zone system that would limit his issues with mobility.

Ultimately I'm not trying to really dump on Girardi or Tampa but I think some people are putting a rosy tint on his past performances. If I'm a Tampa fan I'm saying "hopefully we use him in a different way than the Rangers did and a different system works better for him", but I'm not trying to re-cast his past several years in a positive light.

All that said, if he has a nice year with Tampa then good for him. He's also a likeable guy, a good veteran, reportedly good in the locker room, he'll give up his body for the team and I don't wish ill upon him. If buying him out lets him rejuvenate his career and the Rangers improve their blueline, then great it's a win for everyone. I think the Rangers continued to lean on him too heavily in situations that weren't a good match for his abilities but the right spot in the lineup could be fine with him.
I just hope he can stay out of his own way so to speak if he can do that it will work out.

Unfinished Business is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2017, 11:05 PM
RDTBay4

RDTBay4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 10:37 AM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
i have to oduya signed to ottawa for 1 x 1 so yes now everyone can biotch about this deal for realzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Unfinished Business is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 10:38 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Still All In is online now   Reply With Quote