HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring up Strome **SENT DOWN TO B'PORT**

Old
08-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Koopa I

vCash: 500
Bring up Strome **SENT DOWN TO B'PORT**

Is he NHL Ready? How big of a deal is it that he trained with JT this summer and what did he do last summer ? We all know he has the offensive prowess to succeed but what about his two way play ? And does he have many leadership skills?

Koopa I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 12:59 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa I View Post
Is he NHL Ready? How big of a deal is it that he trained with JT this summer and what did he do last summer ? We all know he has the offensive prowess to succeed but what about his two way play ? And does he have many leadership skills?
I believe he worked out the last 3 summers with JT. He's been friends with JT since before he was drafted. My feelings are, that if he has a VERY GOOD/GREAT camp, he'll be on the Islanders this year. He already showed that he can handle the AHL easily, jumped straight from juniors to the AHL and scored 7 points in 10 games. If he plays a whole season at the AHL, even at that pace, he'd score about 56 points. I wouldn't be surprised if he dominated the AHL if he played a full season down there.

Either league, he will be a rookie of the year candidate.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:25 PM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa I View Post
Anyone training with JT is a big deal... he turned Okposo from a slow starting oaf into a one man gun show.

He's probably ready, but the Isles have the luxury of some cheap one year contracts to give him some time in the AHL if needed. One of those guys will probably get hurt during the season and he'll be the first up, hopefully on JT's wing.

As for leadership skills, I have no idea, but I imagine that he leads by example more than anything else. Someone who watched more of him in juniors could probably pipe in about this.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:42 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

He's ready. It appears that the Isles are taking the cautious approach though, since PMB was brought in. Personally I think Strome will get a legit look in TC, and that Bouchard is more of an insurance policy than a stop-gap. I just think the Isles don't want to get caught with their pants around their ankles if Strome craps the bed in camp, and as a result end up with a gaping hole on the 1st line... especially coming off their 1st playoff appearance in years.

I know opinions vary around here, but I expect him to start the year on Long Island if he comes to play in TC.

Last edited by PWJunior: 08-13-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Let profanity filter do it's job.
blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:04 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
Anyone training with JT is a big deal... he turned Okposo from a slow starting oaf into a one man gun show.

He's probably ready, but the Isles have the luxury of some cheap one year contracts to give him some time in the AHL if needed. One of those guys will probably get hurt during the season and he'll be the first up, hopefully on JT's wing.

As for leadership skills, I have no idea, but I imagine that he leads by example more than anything else. Someone who watched more of him in juniors could probably pipe in about this.
ko sucked in the first half of the season (and i mean really sucked) and he had trained with jt over the summer.

It means nothing except that these guys get along well.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:07 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
He's ready. It appears that the Isles are taking the cautious approach though, since PMB was brought in. Personally I think Strome will get a legit look in TC, and that Bouchard is more of an insurance policy than a stop-gap. I just think the Isles don't want to get caught with their pants around their ankles if Strome craps the bed in camp, and as a result end up with a gaping hole on the 1st line... especially coming off their 1st playoff appearance in years.

I know opinions vary around here, but I expect him to start the year on Long Island if he comes to play in TC.
Let's not forget PMB's injury history. If we could get 50 games out of him I'd be thrilled. Strome will be the first call up when/if PMB goes down.

Last edited by PWJunior: 08-13-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Edited QP
Old
08-13-2013, 02:11 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
ko sucked in the first half of the season (and i mean really sucked) and he had trained with jt over the summer.

It means nothing except that these guys get along well.
Did he? I don't remember seeing that.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Jester9881

Don't think Okposo trained with JT before this year.

As for Strome, the Islanders went out and signed Pierre Marc Bouchard, traded for Cal Clutterbuck and signed Peter Regin for more depth. Brock Nelson is also going to be vying for a spot on the team, and he's got a full year of AHL development under his belt.

This isn't to say he has no chance of making the team, but he's not getting there by default. He will need one hell of a training camp to get that spot IMO.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:28 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Don't think Okposo trained with JT before this year.

As for Strome, the Islanders went out and signed Pierre Marc Bouchard, traded for Cal Clutterbuck and signed Peter Regin for more depth. Brock Nelson is also going to be vying for a spot on the team, and he's got a full year of AHL development under his belt.

This isn't to say he has no chance of making the team, but he's not getting there by default. He will need one hell of a training camp to get that spot IMO.
I'm so thrilled we have Nelson to battle Strome for a spot, and eventually we will have Sundstrom in the NHL as well (He had a good rookie season, his first in North America). They will really have to work hard to make the team this year. And you're right, Nelson is closer, AND bigger. Don't forget, Bouchard AND Regin get hurt a lot, so we may see Strome/Nelson a decent amount anyway.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I'm so thrilled we have Nelson to battle Strome for a spot, and eventually we will have Sundstrom in the NHL as well (He had a good rookie season, his first in North America). They will really have to work hard to make the team this year. And you're right, Nelson is closer, AND bigger. Don't forget, Bouchard AND Regin get hurt a lot, so we may see Strome/Nelson a decent amount anyway.
I think that was their mindset when bringing those guys in. If Strome/Nelson doesn't win a spot out of camp, chances are pretty good one of them would get a chance due to injuries. I full expect both those guys to be fixtures to the lineup by the end of the season.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:35 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
I think he'll start out in Bridgeport and find his way on the Island by the end of the season, for good.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:57 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
I assume he'll be up when Bouchard inevitably gets injured

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 03:05 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I think that was their mindset when bringing those guys in. If Strome/Nelson doesn't win a spot out of camp, chances are pretty good one of them would get a chance due to injuries. I full expect both those guys to be fixtures to the lineup by the end of the season.
I really hope Strome can make it out of camp. For one I've been waiting to see him next to Tavares for 2+ years now.. not sure how much longer I can wait. Aside from that, I think he would be a legit Calder candidate this year. Coming up halfway through the season would most likely destroy that chance.

I don't think Snow/Cappy are stupid though. If Strome looks like a better option than PMB in camp, I don't think they'd let a one year stop-gap prevent him from making the team. Regardless of the $2M they just spent.

Old
08-13-2013, 03:47 PM
19 in a row

It's just nice that we have some legit NHL options as opposed to dead weight we have had on the opening day roster in recent years. Looking forward to some legit battles in training camp this year, but even if Strome or Nelson or whoever, doesn't make it out of camp, it doesn't mean they won't get a serious look sometime during the year when the first inevitable injury hits. At least this year the guys on the bubble will have to earn an NHL spot.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 03:52 PM
crasherino

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I really hope Strome can make it out of camp. For one I've been waiting to see him next to Tavares for 2+ years now.. not sure how much longer I can wait. Aside from that, I think he would be a legit Calder candidate this year. Coming up halfway through the season would most likely destroy that chance.

I don't think Snow/Cappy are stupid though. If Strome looks like a better option than PMB in camp, I don't think they'd let a one year stop-gap prevent him from making the team. Regardless of the $2M they just spent.
I'm not convinced of that. If Strome forces his way onto the team with unbelievable play in camp, I think he stays. But, if he plays well and impresses (but nothing jaw dropping), I can't see PMB getting pushed down to 13th/14th forward. Regin? Sure. He's expendable and the FO would probably be happy if Nelson and/or Strome relegated him to a healthy scratch. Not sure if PMB would be the same. Not a terrible thing to have Strome start in BP and demonstrate that he unequivocably belongs in the NHL.

My guess is that only one of Nelson/Strome will make the team out of TC. Especially if they carry only 13 forwards. Fair chance though that they carry 14, with Regin and Boulton as the last 2 guys.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

An AHL year is likely - but Bouchard's injury history likely isn't worrying the Isles too much.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Beastrt

I hate to say it but i would be shocked if strome makes the team out of training camp. The only he even comes up is cause of an injury in the top 6. I think after the nino situation they are gonna be almost too conservative, and make most there prospects spent at least one full year in the ahl.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:30 PM
supeez
HFBoards Sponsor

With the rumors of expansion within the next 2 years I feel this might have an effect on who makes the team out of training camp. I could be totally wrong not knowing the rules in the new CBA. It might be about who we will be able to protect when IT does happen. 16 teams in the east and 14 in west. Just my Conspiracy Theory!!!!

supeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:33 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

i think strome is the real deal, whether he becomes our second line C or gets put on tavares wing, hes going to be an impact player for this team. I wasn't completely sold on strome initially, but now i think hes the real deal. I can easily see him as one of the better players in the league eventually

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 11:36 PM
BEB595

I could see the two rookies making the opening night roster and seeing McDonald as a healthy scratch...

Bailey-Tavares-Strome
Moulson-Nielson-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Bouchard
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Scratches: McDonald and Regin

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Schwartzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEB595 View Post
I could see the two rookies making the opening night roster and seeing McDonald as a healthy scratch...

Bailey-Tavares-Strome
Moulson-Nielson-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Bouchard

This has got to be the first time in I don't know how long where I look at the potential lines for opening night and not one person I honestly cringe over. Strange feeling.

Schwartzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:53 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEB595 View Post

Bailey-Tavares-Strome
Moulson-Nielson-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Bouchard

Bouchard is poorly suited for 3rd line or as a CMac replacement. CMac is an all purpose grinder who can chip in points and battle defensively. PMB is not that.
Two things will influence how successful Strome could be should he make the Isles out of training camp (and likely start as a top 6 RW). The league will be ready for the Isles, who were 7th in scoring last season. But early in the season play is usually looser than the run up to the new year when checking gets much tighter and the pre playoff hunt begins. We always see some surprising team results the first 6-8 weeks from supposedly weaker teams sprinting out, but that comes back down after a while. During that period of loose play, Strome could produce very well. The test will come when the games get tighter. Only one of Strome or Nelson will have a spot on the Island unless there are injuries.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Isles72

I think strome starts season in b'port and gets called up when the injury bug hits .

maybe he pulls a Hamonic (stays up once called up )

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:52 AM
JT4President

I believe Strome will get a 9 game look. Get a taste of what the NHL is all about, be around the team and all that good stuff. He will go to bridgeport to work on the little things that will make him successful at the NHL level. After that, like others said, injuries will play a role. Gun to my head, I would said 9 with Isles, remainder of season in Bridgeport and end up seeing Strome take over for Moulson when he leaves as a UFA.

JT4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:51 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT4President View Post
I believe Strome will get a 9 game look. Get a taste of what the NHL is all about, be around the team and all that good stuff. He will go to bridgeport to work on the little things that will make him successful at the NHL level. After that, like others said, injuries will play a role. Gun to my head, I would said 9 with Isles, remainder of season in Bridgeport and end up seeing Strome take over for Moulson when he leaves as a UFA.
The 9-game run really only applies to CHL players. Anything over 9-games, and the ELC begins. His ELC is starting no matter what this year, so 9-games, 2-games, 20-games, it's all the same.

Reinhart will probably be the only candidate for a 9-gamer, but he'll have to really impress.