HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs d-man shopping list this summer..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
Today, 02:34 PM
  #501
WilliamNylander
Elite drive train
 
WilliamNylander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,573
vCash: 523
Serious question:

Why does anyone want Vatanen? To make a trade just for the sake of doing it?

WilliamNylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 02:39 PM
  #502
4LightAM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamNylander View Post
Serious question:

Why does anyone want Vatanen? To make a trade just for the sake of doing it?
He's a good, mobile defenceman. Would be excellent in transition, and would play on our top PP unit. Would be a nice fit for us.

4LightAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 02:42 PM
  #503
WilliamNylander
Elite drive train
 
WilliamNylander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,573
vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LightAM View Post
He's a good, mobile defenceman. Would be excellent in transition, and would play on our top PP unit. Would be a nice fit for us.
He has less 5 on 5 production than Hunwick and Polak though?

He wouldn't play on the PP ahead of Gardiner or Zaitsev either...?

Remember we go 4F1D on the PP, and he isn't close to the PP threat that Gards or Zaitsev is. I think he would be an awful fit, we need someone who limits shots against.

WilliamNylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 02:47 PM
  #504
GodziIIia
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamNylander View Post
Serious question:

Why does anyone want Vatanen? To make a trade just for the sake of doing it?
Vatanen is a good two-way 2nd pairing dman.

GodziIIia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 03:47 PM
  #505
Narow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 500
Dont take vatanen...dude will waste shots on the pp even if he is surrounded by way better shooters...made alot of finns pull their hair last wc. Do you really want that stress in leafland??

Narow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 03:53 PM
  #506
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Worst Case, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,725
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narow View Post
Dont take vatanen...dude will waste shots on the pp even if he is surrounded by way better shooters...made alot of finns pull their hair last wc. Do you really want that stress in leafland??
He was absolutely terrible in that tournament without a doubt, and it carried over into the season for a bit as well. That's also probably the worst stretch I've seen of him since crossing the pond so I don't think it's the best sample size to use to form an concrete opinion.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 03:55 PM
  #507
Narow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
He was absolutely terrible in that tournament without a doubt, and it carried over into the season for a bit as well. That's also probably the worst stretch I've seen of him since crossing the pond so I don't think it's the best sample size to use to form an concrete opinion.
Ah alright, i have such limited viewings off him but i dont think i can forgive him after that.

Im sure hes pretty good tho.

Narow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:08 PM
  #508
Menzinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary/Toronto
Country: England
Posts: 13,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamNylander View Post
Serious question:

Why does anyone want Vatanen? To make a trade just for the sake of doing it?
He would be the team's 4th best defensemen and is likely availible on the trade market.

Menzinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:26 PM
  #509
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamNylander View Post
Serious question:

Why does anyone want Vatanen? To make a trade just for the sake of doing it?
Probably because the Leafs could use an upgrade on defence and he is better than anyone the Leafs have that slots into the number 4 role.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:41 PM
  #510
LeafingTheWay
Registered User
 
LeafingTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,352
vCash: 500
I wouldn't want to waste assets on Vatanen to be our 4th guy. IF that was the only option sure, he's a great 2nd pairing guy but we need someone better.

LeafingTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:45 PM
  #511
GodziIIia
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
I think Vatanen is equal to Rielly/Zaitsev and a better than Gardiner, my opinion.

GodziIIia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:48 PM
  #512
Channelcat
Registered User
 
Channelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,797
vCash: 50
I'm sure its been said, but Leafs should be all over Darren Raddysh

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:52 PM
  #513
Wonder Dan
Go Leafs Go
 
Wonder Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Wonder Dan
Either way JVR is gone for help on our back end and I'm sure whoever he is traded for will help us substantially

Wonder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:54 PM
  #514
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
The CyNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Dan View Post
Either way JVR is gone for help on our back end and I'm sure whoever he is traded for will help us substantially
Care to bet whether or not JVR is traded this summer?

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 05:45 PM
  #515
CerebralDevil
Registered User
 
CerebralDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
K, Hall was traded to NJ for Larsen and everyone was saying Edmonton got ripped off huge. Well after a full season and contributing a huge addition to the Oilers, it's safe to say it was worth it for them. The Leafs are missing a few pieces in the back end and trading JVR who produced consistently in the league could fetch a Larsen for the Leafs. We can't sit here and say this player would be awful or that player is not what the team needs until the player is added to the team and plays.
I would love to see either Dumba or Vatanen on the Leafs cause they are good young minute eating players.
What Lou does tho is a mystery

CerebralDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 06:03 PM
  #516
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodziIIia View Post
I think Vatanen is equal to Rielly/Zaitsev and a better than Gardiner, my opinion.
LOL. I probably shouldn't bother but Gardiner clearly edges Zaitsev and the advanced stats agree.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 06:09 PM
  #517
GodziIIia
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
LOL. I probably shouldn't bother but Gardiner clearly edges Zaitsev and the advanced stats agree.
lol, Gardiner happens to be extremely sheltered and placed in offensive situations, so he should have good advanced stats. You should know that already if your fancy stats knowledgable

GodziIIia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 06:24 PM
  #518
BillDerlago
They did it Naylor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,258
vCash: 500
I watched all of the ANA-NAS series due to all the possible stud D playing...I was not impressed in the slightest with Vatanen. Manson and Montour though? There are a couple of keepers, I can't see ANA letting them go.

BillDerlago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 06:25 PM
  #519
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodziIIia View Post
lol, Gardiner happens to be extremely sheltered and placed in offensive situations, so he should have good advanced stats. You should know that already if your fancy stats knowledgable
Gardiner has not been sheltered after mid-season and during the playoffs. Now even with that controlled, Zaitsev is a far more weaker defenseman than Gardiner especially during the playoffs.

Let's be honest, Zaitsev was mediocre at best during the playoffs. Gardiner and Rielly were almost #1Ds, on the other hand.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 06:49 PM
  #520
barilko05
Registered User
 
barilko05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Gardiner has not been sheltered after mid-season and during the playoffs. Now even with that controlled, Zaitsev is a far more weaker defenseman than Gardiner especially during the playoffs.

Let's be honest, Zaitsev was mediocre at best during the playoffs. Gardiner and Rielly were almost #1Ds, on the other hand.
He was playing with a concussion for most of that series (confirmed when he didn't play for Russia in WC). I don't think his play in this year's playoffs should be considered to be normal or a benchmark of how good he is compared to anybody.

barilko05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.