HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#37| Anaheim Ducks @ New York Islanders | December 21st | 7:00pm | F/L 5-3

Old
12-22-2013, 08:19 AM
fnfelon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I'm shocked to see that there is beleif in the prospect pool. First, it is not nearly as deep as it once was thought to be, and not nearly as talented. Those that are still in the future mix are unproven at least on 2 levels and have a long way to go.
Petrov is not coming over, Kabanov is not going to be re-signed. It appears that Sundstrom has taken a step backwards and Persson has been fighting injury. Strome has shown great ability at the AHL level so he is at least a hope. Lee is having a good, not great AHL season.
Poulin and Nilssen may be NHL qulaity but they can not be evaluated because they play behind clowns.
Our future hopes are pinned on Pulock, Reinhart, Pelech, Pokka, and Strome. Nelson is starting to look over matched.
Of all our players and prospects, only Okposo seems to have finally found his highest level of achievement this season, with several others regressing (JT, Hamonic, Bailey, Grabs).
This team has another 4-6 years of revamping to look like a contender, that is how bad they have been mismanaged. It comes close to rivaling the Milbury era only we do have some tools in the toolshed, it is not completely bare.

Look at the size of all the California teams; bigger, stronger, nastier, and just as fast. By the third period our defense is just worn down. I agree our prospect pool is, well prospect; there is no standout down there now that Strome is up. The defense prospects could be three to four years from coming together. You are correct this is an incomplete picture and I can't believe I'm looking at Ekblat already. And that's with all these prospects being developed correctly, which I have absolutely no confidence this cluster f--k organization in doing.

fnfelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 08:36 AM
On Edge

Chose not to watch...not even TiVo.

So glad I didn't lose another 3 hours of my life watching this drek. I think I'm good not watching anymore or at least until Cappy is gone.

I may actually buy tickets if they let Cappy and Snow go an put in a real GM and coach in that puts a game plan that makes sense! God, I'd love to see that.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 09:25 AM
original islander

Quote:
I'm shocked to see that there is beleif in the prospect pool. First, it is not nearly as deep as it once was thought to be, and not nearly as talented. Those that are still in the future mix are unproven at least on 2 levels and have a long way to go.
Petrov is not coming over, Kabanov is not going to be re-signed. It appears that Sundstrom has taken a step backwards and Persson has been fighting injury. Strome has shown great ability at the AHL level so he is at least a hope. Lee is having a good, not great AHL season.
Poulin and Nilssen may be NHL qulaity but they can not be evaluated because they play behind clowns.
Our future hopes are pinned on Pulock, Reinhart, Pelech, Pokka, and Strome. Nelson is starting to look over matched.
Of all our players and prospects, only Okposo seems to have finally found his highest level of achievement this season, with several others regressing (JT, Hamonic, Bailey, Grabs).
This team has another 4-6 years of revamping to look like a contender, that is how bad they have been mismanaged. It comes close to rivaling the Milbury era only we do have some tools in the toolshed, it is not completely bare.
Very realistic assessment.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:35 AM
LAIslanderFan

I was at the game last night. The most glaring problem the Islanders have, is their lack of "big" skilled defensemen. When the Ducks gained control of the puck along the boards or behind the net, the Islanders could do nothing to get the puck from them. This led to long periods of time in the offensive zone for Anaheim and in many of those cases, ended in a Ducks goal.

I think McDonald, Strait, and Hamonic are good solid defensemen, but non of them could be considered a top tier defensemen, and they would be just fine mixed in with bigger physical defensemen. I like DeHaan's game thus far, but the sample size is still too small. If Hickey were 2 inches taller and 30lbs more, he'd be a #1 defensemen, he's not, so I feel his size makes him borderline on whether he belongs in the NHL. In most cases, he can do very little when he's trying to get the puck from someone he's defending. He ends up chasing them around for the most part.

I guess we'll have to wait for Reinhart and Pullock. The Islanders slogan should be "patience", or "at least we're not the Jets".

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:38 AM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Gotta disagree with this. You cannot fairly evaluate these players up here with the piss poor coaching and lack of surrounding talent. On any SANE team, they would be 2nd and 3rd tier players....surrounded by quality vets with talent.

THEY are surrounded with AMAC and Carkner. They constantly **** the bed, the coaching is terrible and the management brought in crap to surround them.

if EVERYONE has regressed, doesnt that tell you that maybe it's not them? Maybe it's the "system"?!

Nelson has looked fine. Totally disagree with that. Lee has had a GREAT ROOKIE YEAR. He's like 23rd in AHL scoring, thats really good for a rookie. Petrov and Kabanov were both 3rd round flyers, never serious parts of our prospect pool. We do not need to revamp, we need some ****ing defenders and vets with character.

This team desperately needs veteran defenders with skill. Amac and Strait should be our 3rd pairing. Hamonic and Dehaan should be our second pairing. It's unconscionable that we havent brought in a defender yet....

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:38 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Are you under the impression that Wang even has the slightest idea what is happening with this team? They could be in last (they soon will be) in the league, or won the Cup, and he'd have no clue.
Tough to argue that...and seeing as how Capuano still has a job, the same must be true of our GM

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:28 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
@DFriedmanOnNYI: @StanFischler asked Capuano if he'd considered a timeout. Capuano responded that he often leaves that decision up to his centers.

What exactly does Capuano do?!

If that's a direct quote, Capuano would be fired on the spot by a real franchise. What a dip ****.

I did like the call back to Tavares drawing up the play at the end of that one game. It makes you think about what Capuano actually does during a game.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:31 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post

If that's a direct quote, Capuano would be fired on the spot by a real franchise. What a dip ****.

I did like the call back to Tavares drawing up the play at the end of that one game. It makes you think about what Capuano actually does during a game.
i left after the 2nd period and didn't watch the 3rd....thank god......but, is this a serious quote? that is the craziest thing i have ever heard if so

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:35 AM
borisbadenough

Coaching can only minimize deficiencies in talent, hockey sense, and player IQ. Coaching cannot increase the speed at which an individual’s brain functions. Players with talent cannot bring their games every night, they all have off nights, weeks and some, with streaky reputations, have off months.

borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:37 AM
ndgolden

Quote:
Nelson has been playing fine. He would be one of the last handful of players I would be calling out at this point.

Accessing BPT is another issue. Look at who is down there compared to last year. Lee is tied for second in AHL rookie scoring and is on pace for the same numbers as Brock and Nino put up last year. Last years team also included Brock, Nino, CC, CMac and a healthy Persons.

There is no easy fix at this point with this team. It getting to close to cleaning house and deciding who is worth a shot at the future. Easier said then done though.

ndgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 12:00 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
Nelson has been playing fine. He would be one of the last handful of players I would be calling out at this point.

Accessing BPT is another issue. Look at who is down there compared to last year. Lee is tied for second in AHL rookie scoring and is on pace for the same numbers as Brock and Nino put up last year. Last years team also included Brock, Nino, CC, CMac and a healthy Persons.

There is no easy fix at this point with this team. It getting to close to cleaning house and deciding who is worth a shot at the future. Easier said then done though.
I think Strome and Nelson look excellent together, creating plenty of chances, and soon those will find the back of the net. I think Lee is having a great season. Anyone who's saying he's having a poor rookie season doesn't know hockey. He's on pace for 25 goals and 30 assists, and that's based on only 70 games. Obviously his points would go higher based on his pace for say 80 games.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 12:02 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbaenough View Post
Coaching can only minimize deficiencies in talent, hockey sense, and player IQ. Coaching cannot increase the speed at which an individual’s brain functions. Players with talent cannot bring their games every night, they all have off nights, weeks and some, with streaky reputations, have off months.
I believe the argument has been that THIS COACH has been MAXIMIZING deficiencies.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:11 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

so we get a win against the rags, and it adds 2 more weeks of life of cappys coaching career? i couldnt watch the 3rd period. my stomach was already in knots, and i didnt need this team to make it worse!

watching 24/7 redwings vs maple leafs, makes me pine for a guy like babcock behind the bench. I dont think ive ever seen an islander team underachieve as bad as this one, and that falls on the coaching IMO

bigtim1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 12:48 PM
nyscene

I thought there was still a chance of turning this season around until last night. I was pumped after 2, and then just a complete disaster in the third.

Cappy's got go to go. Like today, before Lavy is gone.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:08 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
I believe the argument has been that THIS COACH has been MAXIMIZING deficiencies.
Bingo.

Capuano is not turning chicken **** into chicken salad, it's becoming a chicken **** river. You have to stop the flow at some point, and that is only going to stop with a new coach who can light a fire under these players like a Lavi or Terry Murray.

Al Arbour sitting in his recliner behind the bench would be a 1000x better at this point.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:19 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
I thought there was still a chance of turning this season around until last night. I was pumped after 2, and then just a complete disaster in the third.

Cappy's got go to go. Like today, before Lavy is gone.
I agree. They're going to fire him eventually. If Laviolette is scooped up beforehand, well **** us.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 03:13 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I agree. They're going to fire him eventually. If Laviolette is scooped up beforehand, well **** us.
no no, he'll still be available when cappy is fired. ...but we'll promote doug weight instead.

Old
12-22-2013, 03:24 PM
GrandmaSlices51631

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadCat View Post
It's called Downshift
Exactly my point

GrandmaSlices51631 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 04:15 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post

What I said was that Lee was having a good, not great season and I stand by that. I like his prospects because of his size, but Lee is over 23 years old and he did benefit from Strome beinng his center for much of the year. I hope he makes the leap, I am just saying he is part of our unproven prospect pool at this time.

I have followed Nelson as much as I could when he played at UND and feel he is an NHL quality player in some role. I projected him as topping out as a good second line center or very good 3rd liner, not less. So I am not questioning him, I am saying that his useage on LI as a healthy scratch/3rd liner/winger/center has somewhat set his progress back. When he was first callled up he looked more confident and capable of playing the roles he was given. Now he looks less comfortable with his role and may not be getting the type of coaching he needs to continue to develop. It is still early and Brock still can play better, especially if he fills out his frame by 10 pounds.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote