HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators @ Rangers | Apr 5, 7:00PM | CBC, TSN1200

Old
04-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Biancosaurus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I love Spezza, though I would ship him to Colorado this summer in a heartbeat if there was any credence to the Spezza for ROR rumors. I think we have enough scoring depth to be a well rounded Boston esque offensive team rather than rely on a few players, and that would boost our two way play and hustle.
Of course. For me anyone is tradeable if it makes this team better. The only untouchable for me is lazar. Not because I think he's a 100 point center but just because of what he brings. Spezza in an ROR deal yes. I like spezza but I am in no way 100% against trading him if our team improves because of it.

Biancosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 01:10 PM
mcnorth

Fanbases are often hardest on their best players. They're the ones who are regarded highly enough to actually attach expectations to.

That's why you have tropes like the back-up quarterback is always the most popular player on the team. That's why people love prospects. It's all maybes.

Good players are reality. To say this fanbase is any different is silly IMO. Take a good hard look across the league, or any league, and history and think about how fans are tough on their best when teams are struggling. Hundreds of examples. This is not an usual circumstance and this fanbase is basically the exact same as any other.

Last edited by mcnorth: 04-06-2014 at 01:35 PM.
mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
You are right about what you are saying in this post, but I do want to point out that fans expectations were high prior to the start of the year and in the early stages of the season. When BM and Melnyk went on about being contenders it was already at the point when the team was outside of the playoff picture looking in. As it turns out the team was only actually in a playoff spot for maybe a day or so (can't remember exactly) after that.

At the time some posters wrote off the entire thing as a season ticket sales ploy. I was not quite that cynical at the time, but I am coming around to that point of view. I believe my big point at the time was that every team tries to challenge for the cup, and I was confused about why EM and BM created a ****storm over announcing something they were already supposed to be doing. It was just really weird, and it remains weird even in retrospect.
You know, I tried looking for examples of where they said they were contenders this year. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything worth getting cynical about.

Post-locker room intervention in December, Murray's extension and prior to the trade deadline...during all these addresses the only thing approaching any kind of guarantee was management talking about being true contenders within a couple years time at most and not acting as if they could win the cup right now.

During the lead up to the trade deadline, they believed that the team had a realistic chance at the playoffs when that was still very much a possibility and the team had shown some signs of life.

What's so bad about showing a little faith in a team that has experienced success before but is wildly under-performing? Even if the team hadn't been able to string together consecutive consistent efforts, even if management felt differently in private, the alternative would be to throw the majority of the still very young roster under a very public bus prematurely.

Instead they were buyers (in a limited fashion) at the deadline in an effort to show the players that they were "on their side."

What have I missed that reinforces the cynical outlook that expressing any confidence in the team can be reduced to a ploy to sell season tickets?

Additionally, why assume that "they created a ****storm" by design rather than them being put in a position to react to reporters questions about how turrible the team had played?

Last edited by Quo: 04-06-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Fanbases are often hardest on their best players. They're the ones who are regarded highly enough to actually attach expectations to.

That's why you have tropes like the back-up quarterback is always the most popular player on the team. That's why people love prospects. It's all maybes.

Good players are reality. To say this fanbase is any different is silly IMO. Take a good hard look across the league, or any league, and history and think about how fans are tough on their best when teams are struggling. Hundreds of examples. This is not an usual circumstance and this fanbase is basically the exact same as any other.

This guy gets it.

Young guys, by their very nature, have potential. You can see what they could become, what their talents can develop into, you can watch them rise and become stars.

When you see a talent level that breaks the mold and is borderline generational, you want it to succeed and reach that potential. When that talent doesn't push itself to reach that potential, it's infuriating.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 03:56 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biancosaurus View Post
I've heard that before. I remember talking to someone a lot older than me who'd seen a lot more hockey than me and he said the fans of Ottawa don't deserve spezza. He's never seen a fan base treat their best player like we treat him. And yeah. Most things I've heard from hockey people in the hockey world all say spezza is and has always been our best player. And people around the league obviously hold spezza in very high esteem.
How do you (or your old wise friend) figure that?

Spezza didn't even get invited to the freaking world championships last year. He also was nowhere near the Olympic team's radar, and his bad junior habits / dogging it defensively for his whole career are the things he is known for around the league.

Ottawa is a cakewalk compared to places like Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Boston or New York for example. If a player can't cut it here with the adoring masses and the media lobbing just enough soft questions to get the sound bites they need to mail in their reports, then they shouldn't leave the house without a helmet.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Spez

Spezza didn't get invited to the WHC last year because he was hurt. He was nowhere near 100 percent when he came back against Pittsburgh. They likely called him up and he turned it down so he could rest for the following season.

Spez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 04:16 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spez View Post
Spezza didn't get invited to the WHC last year because he was hurt. He was nowhere near 100 percent when he came back against Pittsburgh. They likely called him up and he turned it down so he could rest for the following season.
Whatever year it was, he was ready and they didn't want him.

It's obvious that Spezza is working on the weak parts of his game, and that's great, but let's not make him into something he isn't.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Hossa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spez View Post
It was two years ago when Spezza finished fourth in the league in points, although he should have been invited.

Hossa18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

The last 3-4 pages of the rags GDT almost made me cry from laughing so hard, boy some of their HF fans are clueless.

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
The last 3-4 pages of the rags GDT almost made me cry from laughing so hard, boy some of their HF fans are clueless.
Amazing how soft the entire franchise and fandom down there has become in barely a year. Sad. They had great potential, but got impatient and Trader Glen destroyed a sweet roster.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Amazing how soft the entire franchise and fandom down there has become in barely a year. Sad. They had great potential, but got impatient and Trader Glen destroyed a sweet roster.
I am just glad that we do not have to deal with as many donkey fans like they do. Can you imagine all our GDT's with just one response after another at the end of the game of: "******the other team******Refs******Not fair************"

At a certain point you need to take the glasses off and watch/understand the sport. I guess many of the late posters do not understand how the game works and must just think they are the center of some big conspiracy or something.

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote