HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FSN Philadelphia / CSN philly bidding war for Phillies

Old
11-22-2013, 01:49 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

vCash: 500
in the first link above, i also noticed comcast is trying something very fishy.

The new network CSN houston, comcast hasn't paid the astros what they were suppose to.

not sure what that means, but i thought it was interesting.

Quote:
CSN Houston has filed for bankruptcy, claiming that they're losing money as they have been unable to reach carriage fee agreements with local cable providers. As a result CSN Houston has not paid the Astros their agreed upon carriage fees.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 01:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Was there ever any talk of the Phillies getting a YES Network type of deal? That would be great. As much as I hate the Yankees, the YES network is a pretty solid network.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 01:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
in the first link above, i also noticed comcast is trying something very fishy.

The new network CSN houston, comcast hasn't paid the astros what they were suppose to.

not sure what that means, but i thought it was interesting.
I don't think it means anything other than what it says...Astros aren't getting paid because CSN Houston ain't making no dough. Nothing more, nothing less.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 01:56 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
In 2011, Forbes speculated that the Comcast deal netted the Phillies about $35 million a year. Projections for the new deal range from $150 million to 320+ million a year. Let that sink in.

If the Phillies choose, they can easily spend as much as any team in baseball and still be crushing out a monster profit. Now, whether we choose to spend that money wisely.... is definitely in doubt.
in the link i posted they showed a DMM graph, what makes philadelphia bigger is that, they only have 1 team, NY and LA have 2 teams each, the phillies basically are going to get paid big time.

if they get a higher deal then the dodgers new tv deal they will have tons to spend.

If I had to guess, I'm going to say Fox would have the money to make an offer like what time warner offered to the dodgers.

Fox lost to time warner, so they have money to spend, and they want an east coast team so philly seems like a fit.

However them getting a tv deal early like this also suggests comcast wants to lock a new deal now vs having a bidding war.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:43 AM
gco211

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The court didn't say that Comcast wasn't violating anti-trust laws. In a class action lawsuit, you have to certify a class. A class has to meet certain criteria, one of them is calculating damages. In this case the proposed plaintiffs put forth a bunch of legal theories as to why Comcast was violating the anti-trust laws. The District Court basically said only one of them was valid. The Supreme Court (after it went to the appelate level) basically said that the damages were not able to be calculated accurately so the class can't be certified. The reason being that the measure of damages used by the plaintiffs included all of the legal theories originally put forth.

Think of this way:

Plaintiffs say Defendant is violating the Sherman Anti Trust Act for reasons A, B, C, and D. You calculate your damages based on reasons A, B, C, and D. The trial court certifies a class, but says reasons A, B, and C are not valid. That leaves you with a class who can only pursue damages under reason D. The Supreme Court says that doesn't fly because your damages included reasons A, B, and C as well. The class needs to certify that the damages are based only on reason D because that is the only potential viable legal theory upon which they will be successful.

That doesn't mean all is lost. They can still certify a class, they just have to prove that their damages are common and based on the remaining theory (which has to do with what Comcast's actions reducing the number of what are termed "overbuilders", or companies that build competing cable networks in areas where an incumbent cable company already operates). The withholding of sports channels from satellite providers was one of the reasons that got thrown out. ()
Nicely explained. Whether you want to accept that damages is a proper reason for rejecting class certification, the majority seemed to to do it in this case without establishing any far reaching precedent. That said, all in all, I'd bet a lot that the Phillies resign with Comcast.

gco211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 05:35 PM

vCash: 50
I wouldn't be against losing CSN Philly. JJ and Jonesy have turned into a walking advert fluff machine. There's no objectivity to speak of.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 05:39 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
In 2011, Forbes speculated that the Comcast deal netted the Phillies about $35 million a year. Projections for the new deal range from $150 million to 320+ million a year. Let that sink in.

If the Phillies choose, they can easily spend as much as any team in baseball and still be crushing out a monster profit. Now, whether we choose to spend that money wisely.... is definitely in doubt.
Sign all the 35+ year old players.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjoedgaard View Post
Do the Phillies really have that many viewers consider the terrible state they are in right now?
your kidding right...

Phillies are the only team in this town that can challenge the Eagles for the number one spot, and even took over that spot for a little. It's possibly still debatable, idk.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote