HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Enforcers salaries VS MMA fighter's salaries

Old
01-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 508
I think more people enjoy a hockey game with a couple of good fights than they do watching two guys hump each other on a mat for 15 minutes.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by sVpph View Post
Doesn't GSP make like $5 million a fight? I also heard Anderson Silva got $500,000 just for putting a Burger King logo on his shorts. Not exactly the most poverty stricken sport, is it?

You'd also be surprised how good some enforcers in the NHL actually are. They didn't just get where they are because they can stand on skates and throw punches simultaneously.

Edit - Nevermind, just saw that you said 'majority' of fighters which would obviously exclude the likes of GSP and Anderson Silva
This is the big thing with MMA though guys are making more money than is being reported. We only really hear what the UFC pays these guys, but sponsorship often pays these guys a lot. I assume like boxing there are guys that get a sponsored salary from a key sponsor. I knew of a local boxer that was making 10-15k a fight, but then signed on with a sponsor and was making less per fight, but instead received a 100k-150k a year salary plus all expenses paid.

I do think the UFC should be paying more money, but that will come once a union is developed. Keep in mind how long it took the other major sports to start paying the big bucks

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Nic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sVpph View Post
Doesn't GSP make like $5 million a fight? I also heard Anderson Silva got $500,000 just for putting a Burger King logo on his shorts. Not exactly the most poverty stricken sport, is it?

You'd also be surprised how good some enforcers in the NHL actually are. They didn't just get where they are because they can stand on skates and throw punches simultaneously.

Edit - Nevermind, just saw that you said 'majority' of fighters which would obviously exclude the likes of GSP and Anderson Silva
The majority of fighters make very little from sponsors, GSP, A. Silva, Jon Jones etc are very much the exception.

There are many reasons that NHL enforcers make more than MMA fighters. It is neither counter intuitive nor unreasonable.

I will give another one, MMA fighters do not fight very often. The average per UFC fighter is likely no more than 2-4 fights a year, maximum cage time no more than 30-60 minutes.

Of course many train as if a full time job or more, but it is difficult to generate revenue while training, they probably have to teach and work in a gym to supplement their income.

Professional hockey players sometimes play 82 games a season plus playoffs. They also travel a huge amount and have media, practice and many other obligations that MMA fighters don't have. Most MMA fighters do train, they are not obligated to, there is an important distinction there.

I'm not making a comment on fairness, but the economics make sense.

Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:30 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
What about the fact that there are many minor pro leagues that have fighters that earn far less than what an NHL tough guy makes.

MacIntyre is making $105,000 in the AHL this year and he's one of the best fighters in hockey. I'm not sure what the lowest AHL salaries are but they go down to around 75-80,000. Imagine what an ECHL tough guy makes.

So yes some of them make it big and make league minimum, then if they can actually play hockey they can make more. There are a lot of tough guys making a lot less though. Just like in MMA the top top fighters make a lot of money and then as your ability drops so does your pay.
I think just making the NHL roster guarantees you 500K ish isn't it?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I think just making the NHL roster guarantees you 500K ish isn't it?
yeah, around there $550 or something like that is the league minimum.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote