HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Subban is a class act in the League

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2014, 12:24 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Subban is a class act in the League

Say what people want, PK Subban is a class-act in the League, both off and on the ice. He certainly gets under some people's and player's skin on ice, but that IS part of hockey, and he's not dirty in doing it.

http://nesn.com/2014/05/canadiens-p-...h-class-video/

There have been other such examples prior to this. He's definitely a well-spoken young man.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I loathe him and loathe the team he plays for, but it's because he's so damn good.

I want him to be a ******* off the ice, but he's one of the most accountable and humble players in the league. Damn you! I'd take him on the Bruins every day of the week. Still hate him.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

I love Subban, always have. And unfortunately, I feel if his skin was a different color, we wouldn't even need a thread to remind us that he's a class act.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Old
05-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Hollywood Burrows

PK exposes racist sports fans, because they put their assumptions on him when they watch him play. But when they take two seconds to listen to him talk or read about his family, it's so obvious that he's a golden boy/pillar of the community/inspiration to all around him. He utterly demolishes the racist assumptions that (some) people make when they see a flashy, dominating black athlete.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:31 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I hate that it took something so ****** to happen for everyone to see it (Habs fans included) but this young man is an ambassador for the game.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 302
He's a smart and well spoken guy. He can be very annoying on the ice, but every team has those and in many cases they are fan favorites.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:32 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I loathe him and loathe the team he plays for, but it's because he's so damn good.

I want him to be a dickwad off the ice, but he's one of the most accountable and humble players in the league. Damn you! I'd take him on the Bruins every day of the week. Still hate him.
Same here, there is no denying how good he can be and the absolute brilliant way he handled those racist tweets when asked about them.

I hate the guy, but I would take him on the Bruins in a second.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:33 PM
K Fleur

When Subban first came into the league, I wasn't a fan (could have something to do with his team beating mine in the 2010 playoffs).

Now he has become one of my favorite players, who is all class, despite having to deal with some absolute BS just because of his skin color.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:33 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

I love PK and don't understand the critics.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:35 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I love Subban, always have. And unfortunately, I feel if his skin was a different color, we wouldn't even need a thread to remind us that he's a class act.
Yes, unfortunately there's some truth in that. Nevertheless, as purely just being a young player and one that does get the ire of some fans and players, if we just look at how he actually does play and also how he handles himself off ice, we all should put it all in perspective and just say: he's a class-act.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 855
I seriously don't see where the "Subban is a locker room cancer" posts come from. Guys as humble as they come, and he looks like a fantastic teamate.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:39 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

He's a very likeable player. Would love to have him on the Kings. And he did respond very well to the situation.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Subban will never win a Lady Byng with the way he conducts himself on the ice, that's for sure.

But he seems to be one of those "dumbass on the ice, gentleman off the ice" types, like Joe Thornton.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:43 PM
smitty10

Agreed. PK seems like a great guy. He's damn competitive though, which leads me to dislike him when he's playing the Leafs. Great person though.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:44 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 View Post
I seriously don't see where the "Subban is a locker room cancer" posts come from. Guys as humble as they come, and he looks like a fantastic teamate.
there were a few pushing matches with teammates in practices. They happen with almost every player on every team but for some reason, people use it to tarnish PK.

There are several reasons for this.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:44 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

I'm a Toronto Maple Leaf fan and P.K. Subban is one of my favorite players in the league. Just an incredible individual and about as dynamic as a blueliner gets.

I always tell people to watch the interview he did with George Strombo. Just a great interview that gives you an idea about how down to earth Subban is and how the Subban's have the making of a great hockey family.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Easy answer.

Rookie season, the kid is full of enthusiasm and want to fight for a place on the team. He gets in a heating exchange with Tomas Plekanec.

A couple months later, in a very intense practice as the habs were on a losing streak he played very hard on Desharnais and they exchanged words.

Again all in his rookie season (never after). The media were wondering if he was popular in the dressing room.

Now he's very popular in the dressing room still very intense but very funny and playing pranks on his teammates.

There is also the Therrien benching him issue but this as nothing to do with his attitude but more about his play on the ice.
Therrien also benched: Bričre, Eller, Vanek, Desharnais, Bourque. Some multiples times and none are called Locker room cancer.

IMO those accusations are based on the fact that Subban is the best habs player and some people have a hard time accepting it.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Maybe there will one day be PK Subban trophy awarded to the classiest player in NHL.

And please for the love of god, stop talking about his race again and again. No one sensible cares what color his skin is and you just keep adding fuel to the fire by constantly bringing up the racism card all the time.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Chimp

Class act? I don't know about that. He's a pest on the ice, occasionally plays dirty and is far from a class act. That he's a good guy off the ice, you could say about 95% of the players in this league.

Queue yet another hyperbole headline for a thread.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:49 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Class act? I don't know about that. He's a pest on the ice, occasionally plays dirty and is far from a class act. That he's a good guy off the ice, you could say about 95% of the players in this league.
Examples please?

He is a class act. He is a pest but so is every physical player. What has P.K. Subban ever done to make him less than a class act?

Old
05-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I guess that also apply to Lundqvist as he is always giving death stare at his defensemen when he gets scored on.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
And please for the love of god, stop talking about his race again and again. No one sensible cares what color his skin is and you just keep adding fuel to the fire by constantly bringing up the racism card all the time.
You're right, noone sensible cares. You're overestimating how many sensible people there are.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:54 PM
K Fleur

Quote:
I remember hearing that he got into an argument with Hal Gill his rookie season. The story seemed dumb and blown out of proportion at the time, and still does now.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../17202236.html

Old
05-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I get what this thread is about, and it's not targeting the racists or a fanbase, and that it's putting the attention on PK Subban for what he had to say about the Twitter debacle, but I'm closing this.

Last edited by Trance Kuja: 05-04-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Closed Thread