HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan and Chelios, Hall of Fame Red Wings?

Old
07-09-2013, 11:55 PM
silkyjohnson50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishock View Post
He was, but 9 points in 16 games is still bad. He hurt the team by coming back for a couple of games in the Final. I think it was 3, 6 and 7. We lost.
Datsyuk's offensive production was down that postseason, but he was far from bad. The injury obviously hampered him, but IMO puck luck and his lack of chemistry with Hossa were pretty big contributing factors. TSN's Bob Mckenzie made a comment during that postseason along the lines of "Datsyuk is having one of the most dominating postseason I've ever seen without putting up great numbers."

Despite not scoring at his regular rate, Datsyuk really tilted the ice. He was on the ice for the fewest amount of goals against, shots against, and penalties taken. He had the highest Corsi on Detroit that postseason by a comfortable margin.

With all of that being said, Datsyuk shouldn't be compared to Yzerman. While I agree that Datsyuk's 2-way game peaked at a higher level than Yzerman's, Stevie's offensive peak was at a level that Pav never sniffed.

With that being said, I absolutely expect to see #13 hanging from the rafters one day. The new 3 year extension sealed it IMO. Barring significant time missed, Datsyuk is going to finish Top 5 on Detroit's All Time scoring list. Keep in mind that this is an O6 franchise. Add in his minimum of 2 Cups, minimum of 3 Selkes, 4 Byngs, reputation of best 2-way player of his era, and reputation as one of the most skilled/unique players ever... I don't think it'll be debatable. And I don't buy the "Detroit rarely retires" argument against Datsyuk. He's a special case that will have spent his entire career here.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Datsyuk in his prime > Yzerman in his prime

Sorry.
I'll try to be more polite this time...

Pardon me, good sir. You seem to have misplaced your marbles.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:53 AM
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post

All said and done, the line between the two is a lot smaller than people tell you. Osgood's performance in 2008 was up there with some of Belfour's, but the reputation of the Wings being such a dominant team really stuck with people and made them overlook some of his game stealing moments. But let's get something straight, Belfour's Dallas teams were incredible as well and boast some of the most accomplished defensive players of the decade. Furthermore, while Osgood was a steady presence, Belfour's more amped up goaltending style (basically way more aggressive) made it appear like he was literally stealing a game by himself. And I'd say Belfour did steal more games than Osgood, said and done.
Lets not forget 2009. If the Wings were able to close out game 7 the Smythe was Osgood's to lose, imo.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:14 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I'll try to be more polite this time...

Pardon me, good sir. You seem to have misplaced your marbles.
Agreed. Prime Yzerman > Prime Datsyuk. And there's no way it's even close enough to be a contest.

And this is coming from a guy who loves Datsyuk.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:19 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Remember what your mother used to say...
If you don't have anything nice to say about another poster, the mods will come in the night and haunt your dreams.
I don't remember my mother saying that, Benchy, but it's a pretty good line I can imagine her saying.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:36 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Lets not forget 2009. If the Wings were able to close out game 7 the Smythe was Osgood's to lose, imo.
That's true.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Bench
Realgud!

I think "misplaced your marbles" should be our special code, the only one, for strong disagreement.

And very true about 2009 Osgood. He was great then as well.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote