HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

does anybody know what happened to extraskater.com?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-23-2014, 11:17 AM
  #1
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
does anybody know what happened to extraskater.com?

I went to extraskater.com today and noticed it is no longer up, with a message of "Sorry, Extra Skater is offline". This was, by far, the best advanced stats site on the net, and it would really suck to lose it. Does anybody know what happened to it?

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 11:20 AM
  #2
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
I went to extraskater.com today and noticed it is no longer up, with a message of "Sorry, Extra Skater is offline". This was, by far, the best advanced stats site on the net, and it would really suck to lose it. Does anybody know what happened to it?
He got hired by the leafs..

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 12:00 PM
  #3
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
He got hired by the leafs..
ah, i didn't know that was his site

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 01:40 PM
  #4
N5991989
Oilers Fan
 
N5991989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,397
vCash: 500
There will either be a copy cat site up soon or heck NHL could do it on their own stats page.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 06:17 PM
  #5
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 53,009
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by N5991989 View Post
There will either be a copy cat site up soon or heck NHL could do it on their own stats page.
nhl has gotten together with the two other bloggers hires and found out just how much info was being gleemed from the NHL site and have now rigrejigged their rules and regs and have rejigged how easy it is to mass copy and sort their pages onto seperate pages-last few years it was easy--but the program I use (Nicked it from Hilton Hotels a few years ago) Is now blocked from extrapulating information as easy as before

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 07:27 PM
  #6
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N5991989 View Post
There will either be a copy cat site up soon or heck NHL could do it on their own stats page.
they could, but they won't

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 07:48 PM
  #7
N5991989
Oilers Fan
 
N5991989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
nhl has gotten together with the two other bloggers hires and found out just how much info was being gleemed from the NHL site and have now rigrejigged their rules and regs and have rejigged how easy it is to mass copy and sort their pages onto seperate pages-last few years it was easy--but the program I use (Nicked it from Hilton Hotels a few years ago) Is now blocked from extrapulating information as easy as before
My understanding is that it is all from the play by play files put out after the game. James Mirtle was extracting data with what looked like a comand prompt.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 11:10 PM
  #8
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Behind the net is pretty similar. As is stats.hockeyanalysis.com

My guess: with the NHLs new data usage policy they are looking to get a piece of the pie with the increased popularity and will buy extraskater to integrate into NHL.com

I see no reason for the Leafs to have extraskater be kept shutdown as similar info is available else where

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 11:57 PM
  #9
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,707
vCash: 50
This is called "making friends with the enemy".

The NHL will buy up all the good ones.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2014, 10:14 AM
  #10
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Behind the net is pretty similar. As is stats.hockeyanalysis.com

My guess: with the NHLs new data usage policy they are looking to get a piece of the pie with the increased popularity and will buy extraskater to integrate into NHL.com

I see no reason for the Leafs to have extraskater be kept shutdown as similar info is available else where
behindthenet has similar stats, but the usability of that website is horrific... extraskater was actually really nice to use

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2014, 04:27 PM
  #11
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
behindthenet has similar stats, but the usability of that website is horrific... extraskater was actually really nice to use
Glad its not just a user interface I was seeing.. gotta select settings several times just to get to what you want it to spit out.

Always has been wonky. Doesn't work well even when it doesn't freeze up.

overuse is going to get worse now.


Damn, whats a guy going to do to defend oiler hires..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 04:00 PM
  #12
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Glad its not just a user interface I was seeing.. gotta select settings several times just to get to what you want it to spit out.

Always has been wonky. Doesn't work well even when it doesn't freeze up.

overuse is going to get worse now.


Damn, whats a guy going to do to defend oiler hires..
Blind faith?

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 02:13 PM
  #13
Usual_Suspect
Registered User
 
Usual_Suspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 3 hours South
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
@butyoucarlotta: ICYMI: I finally put Extra Skater's CHL data in a permanent place, downloadable via Google Drive or Dropbox. http://t.co/vzlE8CKxO3

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 10:15 PM
  #14
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 738
Seemingly best way to get a head office NHL job now is to blog about stats.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 10:51 PM
  #15
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Seemingly best way to get a head office NHL job now is to blog about stats.
WE should do what they did and just make up a bunch and keep tweaking and changing it every year until our advanced stats and numbers start to approach being able to *Predict* last years stats..

personally I like backwardforwardrelicorsicombo as a name. That one as of last week wasn't picked yet..you want a good all encompassing stat and so that sounds like one..

Plus its cool if the names sound like addresses and mean nothing at all in particular. Stylish names like Fenwick Close, Park PlacePDO, Boardwalkevensteven or Deadmanwalkingblindcorsi.

Its important to be able to throw around 6 of these advanced stats names into one sentence while stating a player is a bigtime possession playa and mustardrelishcorsi definitely says so.

Say it like you mean it with conviction and invariably people start listening.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.