HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you like to coach the Red Wings in 2015-2016 & beyond?

View Poll Results: Who would you like to coach the Red Wings in 2015-16 & beyond?
Mike Babcock 75 46.30%
Tony Granato 0 0%
Jeff Blashill 86 53.09%
Other (please specify) 1 0.62%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-15-2014, 08:28 PM
TatarTangle

vCash: 500
The real question, assuming Babcock is returning, is how many years will the new contract be for?

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2014, 03:15 PM
sakei

I think it will be Babcock. He seems to like our prospect depth and what he and KH built here. If Babcock leaves, the obvious choice is Blashill.

sakei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock indicated Monday he wants to remain in his position with the organization beyond this season, when his contract expires, but he doesn't plan to negotiate a new contract after the regular season begins Oct. 9 against the Boston Bruins.

"I don't think it's going to be my final year here. If it is, it is," Babcock said after the morning skate at Joe Louis Arena, where the Red Wings hosted the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday night. "I've tried to live my whole life in the present, so what happened yesterday doesn't matter. What we're doing today does matter and we'll get on with it tomorrow. I'll get up every day and try as hard as I can, as I always have."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...d=nhl:topheads

-Flowah
Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Bench
Realgud!

With Holland saying he wants Babcock back and Babcock saying he doesn't think it's his last year, I think we can strap in for another season with him.

Blashill will join the ranks of the many former Red Wings coaches that leave for bigger things.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:46 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

I'm tired of Babcock. He's a reactionary of the same type as Holland, and they're combining to keep this team mired in mediocrity. One or the other needs to go if it's ever become a contender again.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:35 AM
Dotter

Blashill is a wonderful AHL coach. He is doing good things down there with the kids... and that's where he belongs. Babcock is arguably the top active NHL coach in the world. Wings are successfully rebuilding on the fly, no better coach in the world sailing the big ship than Babcock.

Blashill can move on to another team if he wants to be an NHL coach. Maybe Dallas? I'd like him to stay a few more years coaching the Griffins if possible. He's prepping those kids for Babcock so we can make the playoffs and have a chance winning the ultimate prize; Lord Stanley.

Dotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:43 AM
RedWingsForPresident

Only Red Wings fans would want an AHL coach over a guy who is constantly regarded as the best coach in the NHL

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:52 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
Only Red Wings fans would want an AHL coach over a guy who is constantly regarded as the best coach in the NHL
How many playoff series have the Wings won in the past 3 or 4 years?

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Ottomatic

If Babcock wants to be here and Holland wants him here - what is the hold up? It can't be money as Ilitch would pay him, so I assume it's a power struggle of sorts where Babcok wants some player personal powers and Holland doesn't want to give up any and just wants Babs as HC and nothing more.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:14 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Well, I'm not on the Blashill band wagon and I regard Mike Babcock as the best professional hockey coach in the world, but still...

I still think it's time for a change and a good coach can only take a team so far. The problem is, I don't want to see Babcock coaching another NHL team.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:41 AM
SirloinUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Well, I'm not on the Blashill band wagon and I regard Mike Babcock as the best professional hockey coach in the world, but still...

I still think it's time for a change and a good coach can only take a team so far. The problem is, I don't want to see Babcock coaching another NHL team.
This is a good point that I havent yet seen raised. If we let Babs walk he becomes and amazing asset for one of our rivals

SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

I kind of compare Babcock to Patriots' Bill Belichek. Viewed as the best of their respective leagues, both fan bases want rings and championships now, but both have come up short championship wise for an elongated stretch. Looking at the Pats, I think they would be crazy to get rid of Belichek, and I think that's probably how we should be viewing Babcock. I know Bill has won more with New England than Babcock has with Detroit but parity among other things are a factor in that.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:28 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post

Thing is, we could get that change by just shifting the roster around a bit. Don't re-sign some guys, maybe look to trade a couple of others, and work in new faces. As long as the top guys we keep are buying in, they'll set the tone for the new guys coming aboard.

Now, we've actually done quite a lot of that in the last year or two. Yeah, it took a ton of injuries and crappy play to force it a bit last year, but it happened, and it looks good for not losing that ground this year (Jurco staying up, Tatar/Sheahan/Nyquist/Dekeyser staying in the lineup, etc.).

I worry less about Babcock's message getting old than I do about just not having the horses to legitimately compete for a cup.

Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Ottomatic

If only you could trade coaches in the NHL...

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Dotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
How many playoff series have the Wings won in the past 3 or 4 years?
More than about 20 other teams in the NHL. All with a depleted and injured roster missing some all-star caliber players and suspect goaltending from Howard at times.

I suggest consider replacing the medical staff... not a world class winning coach who takes his team that shouldn't even sniff a playoff spot to the playoffs year-in/year-out.

Dotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

@DarrenDreger x3

Expectation in Detroit is Holland and Babcock will meet later this week or early next...latest. Offer will be presented at that time.#TSN

Both sides are prepared. Babcock has a good idea of open market worth and Holland has ownership support to make a deal that makes sense...

Both sides also want a deal done by opening night, hence the obvious time-line of pending offer.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Yes, the "best coach" who has done squat over the past five seasons. I agree that the responsibility for that rests largely with Holland, but Babcock has been making an increasingly large number of mistakes over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Thing is, we could get that change by just shifting the roster around a bit.
... which both Babcock and Holland are extremely resistant to do. It seems that they're perfectly satisfied so long as they make the playoffs and don't need to alter their methods. One of them needs to leave, else it'll just be more of the same for the foreseeable future.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Yes, the "best coach" who has done squat over the past five seasons. I agree that the responsibility for that rests largely with Holland, but Babcock has been making an increasingly large number of mistakes over the years.

... which both Babcock and Holland are extremely resistant to do. It seems that they're perfectly satisfied so long as they make the playoffs and don't need to alter their methods. One of them needs to leave, else it'll just be more of the same for the foreseeable future.
I don't think it's fair to say Babcock has done "squat" over the last 5 years... What is the bar for coaches? Stanley Cup or bust?

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
I think they are hesitant to do wholesale changes, where a large chunk of the roster is turned over from year to year. I don't think they are resistant to gradual change, though. We've seen six guys from two seasons ago who played in a majority of the regular season games no longer with the club, and we've seen several younger guys step into prominent roles.

While I would be fine with another rookie or two this year, I think it's a bit unfair to not recognize the significant roster change we've had the past couple of seasons. And I think we're likely to see more change throughout this season, as guys (Kindl, Lashoff, Cleary) play themselves off the team and others play their way on.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:26 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
We will see how genuine he has been, but one has to believe if he was waiting on a show me period his statements on our young D-man coming up and guys like Mantha have him heavily leaning towards returning.

He has to think he can get back to the mountaintop with this group given his credentials as a coach. Some can question that, but my opinion from all these glowing comments is that he is buying in to what they have coming. If the money is right I think he signs on long-term.

Not sure I prefer that over Blashill given the shift to youth and maybe the need for change. But locking in Babcock is hardly a bad thing, if he believes in the group coming and wants the job he is getting first dibs and I think it has headed in that direction strongly in the last month.

I am curious to see what other powers he gets, something tells me that is a part of what will happen in these negotiations.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:28 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I don't think it's fair to say Babcock has done "squat" over the last 5 years... What is the bar for coaches? Stanley Cup or bust?
To be fair, there are plenty of people who consider Quenneville to be the best coach in the NHL right now. You can't tell me his Cups and top regular season finishes don't have something to do with that.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:33 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think they are hesitant to do wholesale changes, where a large chunk of the roster is turned over from year to year. I don't think they are resistant to gradual change, though. We've seen six guys from two seasons ago who played in a majority of the regular season games no longer with the club, and we've seen several younger guys step into prominent roles.

While I would be fine with another rookie or two this year, I think it's a bit unfair to not recognize the significant roster change we've had the past couple of seasons. And I think we're likely to see more change throughout this season, as guys (Kindl, Lashoff, Cleary) play themselves off the team and others play their way on.
That's some distorted reasoning. Guys like Nyquist and Tatar were "forced" into the lineup through injuries and the players you are talking about departing did so after they were already incompetent players, almost all of which were re-signed after their incompetence was apparent.

This was almost exclusively forced change. Which is pretty much the entire problem and makes up the considerable majority of Wings fans' issues with management over the past 3-5 years.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 05:38 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
That's some distorted reasoning. Guys like Nyquist and Tatar were "forced" into the lineup through injuries and the players you are talking about departing did so after they were already incompetent players, almost all of which were re-signed after their incompetence was apparent.

This was almost exclusively forced change. Which is pretty much the entire problem and makes up the considerable majority of Wings fans' issues with management over the past 3-5 years.
Filppula, Brunner, White, Emmerton, Tootoo, and Eaves were the players I was looking at. I think White is the only one I'd look at and say fell off a cliff, though a few were limited in where they fit in a lineup (4th line, PK). None were re-signed, though. Bert, Sammy, and Cleary didn't play enough games that year for me to include. Since they missed so much time, I didn't want to skew things further.

I never argued how the change occurred, though, only that there has been a pretty significant turn-over over the past couple of years. Do I wish the wings had been more pro-active and worked guys in more aggressively? You bet, but despite their reluctance it's still happened.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote