10Ducky10

vCash: 500
Myers is an elite D man? Really?

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:07 PM
surixon

Myers is a solid number 4 dmen imo. We currently have 4 dmen better than him.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 05:11 AM
Sabrenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Myers is a solid number 4 dmen imo. We currently have 4 dmen better than him.
Enstrom better than Myers ? Myers was the most impressive d-man in the start of the season.

And yes, healthy Myers is easily elite d-man.

Sabrenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrenator View Post
Enstrom better than Myers ? Myers was the most impressive d-man in the start of the season.

It was a small sample, but Meyers was very good at the start of the season. Perhaps more encouraging was his strong play from around January last season. He really seemed to have found his groove with the Jets.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 09:26 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Myers had his good and his bad.

Healthy him had a lot more good than bad this year, but then it ended with injury.

Historically Enstrom normally has been the better of the two, but I wonder if that would have changed this year if healthy.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 11:31 AM
10Ducky10

Quote:

He wasn't playing very well to start the season but he improved before his injury . If he is an elite defenseman then we have 4 elite defenseman but yeah he's not elite not even close.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 12:55 PM
Sabrenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
If he is an elite defenseman then we have 4 elite defenseman but yeah he's not elite not even close.
Myers reached the elite-level immediately on his first NHL season.

Sabrenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Whileee

As I've noted before, by the middle of last season Myers had become a very effective D after settling in with the Jets. He dipped a bit late last season with injury, but overall he had improved substantially and was very much a "plus" performer on the Jets D. Enstrom declined late last season (coinciding with Myers' dip at the end of the season with injuries), and then again this season as Enstrom dealt with injuries and personal challenges.

Myers relCF% Jets.png

Myers Enstrom relCF.png

I'm of the view that Myers was rounding into a very effective top-4 D with the Jets after he had settled into the system following a few down seasons in the Sabres' gong show.

Old
04-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 388
Quote:

Myers has not been elite since his rookie year and I doubt he deserved that term even then. You must have a very low threshold for 'elite'.

Myers was very good at the start of the season. But it doesn't matter if we have 3 better D, or 4. It doesn't matter if we have 10 better or none when we are talking his trade value. Healthy, he is a #4 D man and worth more than any borderline 3C.

IMO Lowry is a 4C playing up. Never mind the argument about whether or not he should be on the PP. That is separate anyway. There is no law that a 4C can't be an effective net front presence on the PP. He simply doesn't have the skill I want to see in a 3C. He is a very good 4C but we have better options for the 3rd line.

So value favours Myers - if he is healthy and able to stay that way for a reasonable number of games each year. Prior to this year he averaged missing 10 games/season. I think that is pretty good for defensemen. So if he is really fully recovered from this year's injuries we should be able to expect him to also recover the value of a 27 YO, #4 D man. The problem is the uncertainty surrounding his durability.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Myers has not been elite since his rookie year and I doubt he deserved that term even then. You must have a very low threshold for 'elite'.

Myers was very good at the start of the season. But it doesn't matter if we have 3 better D, or 4. It doesn't matter if we have 10 better or none when we are talking his trade value. Healthy, he is a #4 D man and worth more than any borderline 3C.

IMO Lowry is a 4C playing up. Never mind the argument about whether or not he should be on the PP. That is separate anyway. There is no law that a 4C can't be an effective net front presence on the PP. He simply doesn't have the skill I want to see in a 3C. He is a very good 4C but we have better options for the 3rd line.

So value favours Myers - if he is healthy and able to stay that way for a reasonable number of games each year. Prior to this year he averaged missing 10 games/season. I think that is pretty good for defensemen. So if he is really fully recovered from this year's injuries we should be able to expect him to also recover the value of a 27 YO, #4 D man. The problem is the uncertainty surrounding his durability.
I think the Jets will have a pretty good read on Myers' recovery. If he's deemed to be healthy, I think it's an absolute no-brainer to protect him in the expansion draft. If you re-sign Trouba and Poolman pans out and you decide Myers is expendable, he'll bring a very good return on a trade if he's healthy.

Old
04-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I think the Jets will have a pretty good read on Myers' recovery. If he's deemed to be healthy, I think it's an absolute no-brainer to protect him in the expansion draft. If you re-sign Trouba and Poolman pans out and you decide Myers is expendable, he'll bring a very good return on a trade if he's healthy.
But LV won't have that read. If he hasn't played before the XD will they take the chance on him? The Jets exposing him would suggest to them that he is not quite healthy. I would hesitate if I was in their shoes. Risky Myers or much younger Dano?

I'm not sure I'd take the risk but I'd think about it.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:21 AM
lanky

VGK must have access to medical reports or Jets doctors. It would be an ugly situation if they drafted Myers and he failed his medical upon arrival. Would VGK get to redo their pick? Makes more sense to share the info up front.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:25 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

I don't think the concern is that he'd be in bad enough shape(health wise not conditioning) to fail his medical, but that whatever's been bothering him is cured for good and not going to rear it's head half way into the season

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 02:05 AM
voyageur
The watchful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
As I've noted before, by the middle of last season Myers had become a very effective D after settling in with the Jets. He dipped a bit late last season with injury, but overall he had improved substantially and was very much a "plus" performer on the Jets D. Enstrom declined late last season (coinciding with Myers' dip at the end of the season with injuries), and then again this season as Enstrom dealt with injuries and personal challenges.

Attachment 95091

Attachment 95089

I'm of the view that Myers was rounding into a very effective top-4 D with the Jets after he had settled into the system following a few down seasons in the Sabres' gong show.
Myers had a tough year off the ice as well. The trouble is that both Trouba and Buff have a bigger impact than Myers, and if you are a budget team, with two horses to take up 45 + minutes, you are not getting the optimum value out of Myers on a 3rd pair, especially as the other 2 have been healthier in their time here.
If Postma were re-signed or another $1.5 million 3RHD,, Myers has some trade value. His contract is actually perfect for the Coyotes, who are trying to get below the floor.. Detroit might still be interested too. Nogier and Poolman are good for depth, but hardly top 4 replacements, so it's a tough call.

I am not sure Vegas would want Myers...they will get some good #4 defensemen to build with. And the Cap Hit would be better spent on a Shattenkirk, Smith or Del Zotto, the latter 2 at less than $5 million, you'd think.

True North is still an evolved Moose management team, so they have tended to be extremely loyal to their players.

Last year's annoinment of Wheeler as captain, Scheif as an A, appointment of Buff over Stuart as an alternate, demoting Pavelec, waiving Burmistrov, putting Thorburn and Stuart in the PB for stretches was a big change in their culture/structure.

The Jets have to balance loyalty with asset management in the cases of Enstrom and Myers, or they leave a bigger hole in their d-corps going forward. Given the Rick Rypien tragedy, I expect and I hope that the organization helps Thorburn after hockey is done. Playing him in the A, where his role would be to mentor younger players on the way to show, seems plausible.

As this is a Dano thread, he obviously rubbed Maurice the wrong way, I can't say i know how, but I think Maurice is still in charge, and has the players respect for the most part.

Would be a waste to have traded our captain for an expendable part, and project pick, so perhaps he gets us a player back. Not sure Dano rates high enough to land an entry level player back, so it's a tough call. Would he bolt for the K, if he doesn't like Maurice?

We have to lose somebody to Vegas, the probability is that Dano is the guy.

Last edited by voyageur: Today at 02:10 AM.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote