HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Worst Euro pro league that pays a livable salary?

Old
03-30-2016, 11:48 PM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadimtheDream View Post
Appreciate it. Was always concerned with that, but seems, at least through my initial research, you just have to pay for tuition which is fine.
You should look into schools with NCAA D3 or even ACHA programs in the United States as well if CIS teams aren't going to give you a shot. The hockey is pretty good and you can get a degree while playing. A good number of these guys end up playing in Third-tier European leagues after.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2016, 05:51 AM
MullerBrotenVerbeek

What if I don't care about making a living wage and just want to play some hockey and have a great experience? I played ACHA and i'm a 6'4'', 220lb center. I was looking at France 3rd Division (the lowest level), what other leagues in Europe might be worth checking out?

MullerBrotenVerbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
You should look into schools with NCAA D3 or even ACHA programs in the United States as well if CIS teams aren't going to give you a shot. The hockey is pretty good and you can get a degree while playing. A good number of these guys end up playing in Third-tier European leagues after.
Seeing as you're Canadian I'd recommend a CCAA program, particularly an ACAC team. NAIT is a great option as it's easy to get into and their program is fantastic. Augustana would also be a good option as you get a University of Alberta degree while attending and playing for their Augustana campus in Camrose (like 40 min outside Edmonton).

Generational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Rigafan

The worst league to make decent money in Europe? Its not that difficult to answer!

Depending what you class as Europe

Turkey would be the winner.

If Turkey isn't on your list then

Spain is your winner.

Rigafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2016, 06:39 PM
JoakimTheSavior
Go Sharks!

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigafan View Post
The worst league to make decent money in Europe? Its not that difficult to answer!

Depending what you class as Europe

Turkey would be the winner.

If Turkey isn't on your list then

Spain is your winner.
How much do you make in either of those leagues?

And is it really 'decent' money? It might be 'livable' as a lot of European leagues pay for housing, but it surely can't be comfortable, can it?

JoakimTheSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2016, 06:23 AM
Rigafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyDestroyedNurse View Post
How much do you make in either of those leagues?

And is it really 'decent' money? It might be 'livable' as a lot of European leagues pay for housing, but it surely can't be comfortable, can it?
If you are talking "Worst Euro league but get paid a livable wage" then it gets more difficult as to what classes as a decent wage.

In Spain an English player, good at lower level English leagues went for a season. He was probably earning 200 per week maximum before he left for Spain and probably not more in Spain.

Id give the title to the Romanian teams/league. Especially the ones that play in the Hungarian MOL Liga. Compared with the cost of living in Romanian you'd be able to live on your hockey wage as an import Im sure as you'd have free housing and probably a free car for your stay included. A few hundred pounds per week salary to a couple of imports to boost their talent level.

Rigafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2016, 12:16 AM
doncherrysgrill
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Sorry to shatter any hopes and dreams, I don't see how it'd be worth it to play hockey for a living unless you're making at least in the multiple hundreds of thousands. Your career will last a max of 15-20 years and then you'll finish playing and have no career to build upon until retirement age. Then you'll be stuck working some BS job somewhere just trying to make ends meet.
Not really the point..I have friends who played NCAA and went on to play in places like France, Italy, Czech Republic, etc. etc. and while they didn't come home with much (or anything) in savings they wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

If you're good enough to make it work, go enjoy it while you can. Put your degree to work when you're done.

Not sure if you're still looking Radim but I've had friends who went over to places like England and got their degree while playing part-time in lower level leagues. Fun way to play "pro" hockey in another country where you speak the language while earning your degree and making a few bucks here and there.

doncherrysgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 04:09 AM
MullerBrotenVerbeek

How is France 2 (thinking about Francais Volantes). My mens league team has a player who is currently playing in Ligue Magnus who skates with us during the off season. He is obviously better than me, but this is a few leagues down and I have a place to live in Paris.

MullerBrotenVerbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:31 PM
BobbyStokers9713

Quote:
Originally Posted by MullerBrotenVerbeek View Post
How is France 2 (thinking about Francais Volantes). My mens league team has a player who is currently playing in Ligue Magnus who skates with us during the off season. He is obviously better than me, but this is a few leagues down and I have a place to live in Paris.

Hey guys. I am a Canadian player who just finished junior. My dad was born in Croatia and for that reason I am in the process of getting my Croatian passport. I have been speaking with the Zagreb team who just announced they are moving back to the EBEL league from the KHL. If I was to make the roster, how much money could I be making? Thanks for the reply in advance.

BobbyStokers9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:58 PM
ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStokers9713 View Post
Hey guys. I am a Canadian player who just finished junior. My dad was born in Croatia and for that reason I am in the process of getting my Croatian passport. I have been speaking with the Zagreb team who just announced they are moving back to the EBEL league from the KHL. If I was to make the roster, how much money could I be making? Thanks for the reply in advance.
Did you play Major Junior?

ZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 12:21 AM
BobbyStokers9713

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT View Post
Did you play Major Junior?
I played in Jr A which is level below it.

BobbyStokers9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 02:44 PM
kabidjan18

It's listed in one place as 25,000 but I've definitely encountered lower figures through the grapevine. Also, Zagreb doesn't have a great reputation for paying out salaries. It might be an interesting adventure either way though.

kabidjan18 is offline   Reply With Quote