HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The "Playoff Push" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2017, 12:53 PM
JohnTonelliRises
Tonelli Approves↓

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
It is genuinely scary to me how many Isles fans still support Snow as GM. I mean at this point I cannot even make a rational case to support him or find backing for that support. In 10 years, TEN YEARS, he has overseen a team that has won one playoff series, ONE.
This is basically a salary cap ceiling team for three years now. There are teams with far lower salaries that are way above us in the standings. There are teams that have gone from near the bottom of the league to the top (Calgary, Columbus, Edmonton, etc.) in a year or two. Even Edmonton and Toronto's rebuilds have passed us now in terms of the stage of contention. Keep in mind Babcock's famous there will be pain for a while speech happened just two years ago. Now the team is loaded with 2 lines of elite rookie stars that are just getting started. We have ummmmm John Tavares and ummmm 10 impressive games of Josh Ho Sang and ummmmmm John Tavares.
In a decade of first round picks, several in the top 5 and almost all except the past few years in the top 10 and this is what we have to show for it. Embarrassing.
I think Snow should be fired, but I think 60% of what you said is inaccurate.

We have a decent team that can play, with the exception of Nelson and possibly Strome who both have been completely off. We need a few defensive pieces, but we are okay otherwise. Goalie situation needs to be addressed ASAP.

Acting like there are no valuable assets on this team is just pure hogwash.

I don't think Snow has done a great job and has probably overstayed his welcome by about 3 years, but it could have been a lot worse.

This team needs a reboot in many facets, but all is not lost.

EDIT: If anything, I think his ego has been worse than his actions in terms of drafting/trading.

There are countless examples of his ego inadvertently causing poor decisions to be made.

Old
04-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTonelliRises View Post
I think Snow should be fired, but I think 60% of what you said is inaccurate.

We have a decent team that can play, with the exception of Nelson and possibly Strome who both have been completely off. We need a few defensive pieces, but we are okay otherwise. Goalie situation needs to be addressed ASAP.

Acting like there are no valuable assets on this team is just pure hogwash.

I don't think Snow has done a great job and has probably overstayed his welcome by about 3 years, but it could have been a lot worse.

This team needs a reboot in many facets, but all is not lost.

EDIT: If anything, I think his ego has been worse than his actions in terms of drafting/trading.

There are countless examples of his ego inadvertently causing poor decisions to be made.
Dude I am really sorry, but you are delusional. First of all you are right about one thing, we have a DECENT team. After 10 years of being the GM, sadly you and far too many Isles fans must still be content with having a decent team fighting for the 8th seed every year. I personally am not.
Second, you say that all the guys can play except for Nelson and Strome. Have you looked at our lineup? We have Stephen Gionta playing a regular shift, Alan Quine in the top 6. We have Kulemin (4 million) and Clutterbuck (3 million) part of a 10 million dollar 4th line. We are missing FAR more than a few pieces.
Third, you say the defense needs a few changes...by a few do you mean half of our starting defense? Hickey is terrible, Pelech and Mayfield look like #6 at best d-men in the NHL, Hamonic has been horrific. For a defense that is pretty good according to you, you do realize we have allowed the most goals in the entire eastern conference...yes DEAD LAST.

Old
04-01-2017, 04:21 PM
JJA86

Too much negativity on this board. Losing out trying to get a good draft pick? Are we serious? You do realize that the Islanders have a near 50/50 shot at making the playoffs winning out. @ NAS is my biggest concern. They are capable of it though and the rest. Forget the other Metro teams, only the Atlantic matters. BOS and TOR have tough schedules and can lose most of their games on paper. TB can help us. Even if TOR wins tonight, it is ok. I have them winning on paper. It's that much more of a plus if they lose.

Old
04-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJA86 View Post
Too much negativity on this board. Losing out trying to get a good draft pick? Are we serious? You do realize that the Islanders have a near 50/50 shot at making the playoffs winning out. @ NAS is my biggest concern. They are capable of it though and the rest. Forget the other Metro teams, only the Atlantic matters. BOS and TOR have tough schedules and can lose most of their games on paper. TB can help us. Even if TOR wins tonight, it is ok. I have them winning on paper. It's that much more of a plus if they lose.
We just called up Connor Jones I guess to replace JT.
5' 9" 180 lbs
6 AHL goals and 5 ahl goals the last 2 seasons .
Do you want to re write your paper ?

This is the time to move Cizikas up to #1 line. Let's se what he has got playing with a little talent .

Old
04-01-2017, 05:15 PM
JJA86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
5' 9" 180 lbs

This is the time to move Cizikas up to #1 line. Let's se what he has got playing with a little talent .
No need to rewrite the paper. I still stand by what I said. Four of their 5 are winnable games and my only concern is @NAS
JT has virtually been a near non factor as of late.

Old
04-01-2017, 05:23 PM
NYI JT91
Jesus Greiss

vCash: 50
Quote:
5' 9" 180 lbs

Cizikas is done for the year.

Old
04-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
Cizikas is done for the year.
Well he sure blew his chance.
Thanks , did not realize he was done too.
So Quine goes in as #1 center ?
Would he be dumb enough to break up AB and JHS ?

Tomorrow is game 7.
Has a team ever played 3 straight game 7's in the same week?

Miro Satan has been seen skating with Yashin on Long Island if we lose any more forwards.

Old
04-01-2017, 06:07 PM
eoin92

Quote:
Well he sure blew his chance.
Thanks , did not realize he was done too.
So Quine goes in as #1 center ?
Would he be dumb enough to break up AB and JHS ?

Tomorrow is game 7.
Has a team ever played 3 straight game 7's in the same week?

Miro Satan has been seen skating with Yashin on Long Island if we lose any more forwards.
I think we will see Josh Bailey at center.

Old
04-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Satan'sIsland81

The stupidity of this organization knows no bounds. Our first line center goes down so we bring up a guy with 5 goals...in the AHL. Why not bring up Dal Colle, give him some NHL action, see how he does. If nothing else, it gives us a reason to watch the last 5 games. And I swear if I hear they dont want to take MDC away from the BPT playoff race, I will flip. Until we are mathematically eliminated, the NHL takes precedence.

Old
04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
smheilbron

I think it's quite obvious what the missing piece was this year. Brian strait=playoffs. No strait = no playoffs. #justsayin

Old
04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:
The stupidity of this organization knows no bounds. Our first line center goes down so we bring up a guy with 5 goals...in the AHL. Why not bring up Dal Colle, give him some NHL action, see how he does. If nothing else, it gives us a reason to watch the last 5 games. And I swear if I hear they dont want to take MDC away from the BPT playoff race, I will flip. Until we are mathematically eliminated, the NHL takes precedence.
I think it's to replace Cizikas.

Old
04-01-2017, 06:53 PM
GrandmaSlices51631

It's like Connor McDavid X Seth Jones. Everything will be fine, I promise.

Old
04-01-2017, 08:25 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Cronin View Post
I think it's to replace Cizikas.
Replace Cizikas?? Gionta is the one replacing him.

Old
04-01-2017, 09:22 PM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
Replace Cizikas?? Gionta is the one replacing him.
Had a brain fart.

Old
04-01-2017, 09:47 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJA86 View Post
You do realize that the Islanders have a near 50/50 shot at making the playoffs winning out.
I generally am one of the more positive posters on this board but the Islanders odds of finishing the season 5-0 is like 3%

Old
04-01-2017, 10:13 PM
eoin92

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I generally am one of the more positive posters on this board but the Islanders odds of finishing the season 5-0 is like 3%
3% is pretty positive if you ask me, I think it's more like 0.3%

Old
04-01-2017, 10:20 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin92 View Post
3% is pretty positive if you ask me, I think it's more like 0.3%
I just did a simple calculation of we have a 50% chance of winning everygame so:

0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 = 0.03125

It should be noted that doesn't factor in the 50-50 chance we have that if we win all the games that we still have enough points to get a playoff spot(ie one of Toronto or Boston is going to have to lose a few games). Once you factor that in our odds go down even lower to 1.6%(assuming there is a 50% chance we make it going 5-0, I am guessing after tonight that odds is probably closer to 30-40% since Boston and Toronto both won)

Last edited by boredmale: 04-01-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old
04-01-2017, 10:43 PM
LetsGoIslanders

Quote:
If you think MDC will make a major difference, I have a bridge to sell you. I think this is Snow's admission that the team isn't making the playoffs this year. It's pretty remote at this point. Just play out the string with Connor Jones. Ho-Sang has played center, which might be pretty interesting to see on the first line. Let the AHL guys, including Ho-Sang, who was sent down on paper get a taste of the playoffs.

Old
04-01-2017, 10:49 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
If you think MDC will make a major difference, I have a bridge to sell you. I think this is Snow's admission that the team isn't making the playoffs this year. It's pretty remote at this point. Just play out the string with Connor Jones. Ho-Sang has played center, which might be pretty interesting to see on the first line. Let the AHL guys, including Ho-Sang, who was sent down on paper get a taste of the playoffs.
I wouldn't be surprised once the Islanders lose 1 more game or it comes to the point we are officially eliminated we just don't play 7 defensemen although I might just bench Boychuk the second we are officially eliminated and I would strongly consider playing 7 defensemen tomorrow

Last edited by boredmale: 04-01-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old
04-02-2017, 12:01 AM
GrandmaSlices51631

Once we are mathematically eliminated, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pulock up scoring goals. It makes too much sense, perfect ending to the incredibly frustrating Scary Movie 9 this season was.

Old
04-02-2017, 12:12 AM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Take playoff conversations to the new thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2211001

Closed Thread