HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXV: Relocating One Seat at a Time

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Slashers98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
I agree with this. They will try again next year, but with more money. Didn't another member of the AZ legislature say that? They'll have a couple months to work on the details if more money comes on board this summer. However if the bill fails next year or new money doesn't come on board this summer, then Barroway's commitment to Arizona will be tested.
Please tell me where Borroway will find millions of dollars to built his pipe-dream arena? Nobody will infuse a large amount of money in this money-seeking endeavor.

Old
04-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Boris Zubov

Phoenix CXXVI: We'll get 'em next year

Phoenix CXXVI: Same time, next year

Old
04-06-2017, 11:45 AM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Kern's window dressing.... he really says nothing. He argues about another taxpayer funded arena competing with Glendale's. If the Coyotes were to somehow build another arena on their own dime then it still completes with his arena so that argument is moot. If they leave the state it still leaves his arena looking to replace 41 event nights per year and a half million visitors per year who would be spending money in his city.

However.... since you bring Bettman's statement up to justify Kern's cherry picking exercise..... do cite what part of his statement lays blame directly on Glendale the city?

In a bit of irony, he cites what many posters here stated over the last few year that Glendale was the wrong location for building an arena. In some ways I disagree with that, but I live here in the west valley near the arena and am a little biased in that respect.

K...... I'm beginning to think that this won't end with the current legislative session. The bill may not get voted on this time around. But come this summer if we see Barroway buy out the minority partners and bring in some fresh money that can front a little more (over 50%) towards an arena on the Coyotes end, they may take another shot at it come next fall. My tin foil hat also has another scenario in mind but I'm leaving that out for now.

This is if Barroway is being truthful that they still want to remain in AZ.

Meanwhile.....
Welcome your other theory whenever you're comfortable sharing it - Heaven knows the rest of us are certainly stumped about what's coming next.

And with this thing headed for at least another year or two of waiting and wondering . . . I've just got to ask: Where the heck are they going to get all the needed popcorn??!

Old
04-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Montrealer

Phoenix CXXVI: Just wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'

Old
04-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Kern's window dressing.... he really says nothing. He argues about another taxpayer funded arena competing with Glendale's. If the Coyotes were to somehow build another arena on their own dime then it still completes with his arena so that argument is moot. If they leave the state it still leaves his arena looking to replace 41 event nights per year and a half million visitors per year who would be spending money in his city.

However.... since you bring Bettman's statement up to justify Kern's cherry picking exercise..... do cite what part of his statement lays blame directly on Glendale the city?

In a bit of irony, he cites what many posters here stated over the last few year that Glendale was the wrong location for building an arena. In some ways I disagree with that, but I live here in the west valley near the arena and am a little biased in that respect.

K...... I'm beginning to think that this won't end with the current legislative session. The bill may not get voted on this time around. But come this summer if we see Barroway buy out the minority partners and bring in some fresh money that can front a little more (over 50%) towards an arena on the Coyotes end, they may take another shot at it come next fall. My tin foil hat also has another scenario in mind but I'm leaving that out for now.

This is if Barroway is being truthful that they still want to remain in AZ.

Meanwhile.....
If Barroway invests more in ownership, handles losses and comes up with another $200+ million for a new arena then he really is the unicorn that the NHL has been searching for so vainly over the past many years.

Old
04-06-2017, 03:47 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Phoenix CXXVI: Neither a Barroway nor a LeBlanc Be
Phoenix CXXVI: The Long, Dark Tea-time of the Soul
Phoenix CXXVI: Little Orphan Andy
Phoenix CXXVI: Running to Stand Still
Phoenix CXXVI: Stuck in Desert with You

Old
04-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
If Barroway invests more in ownership, handles losses and comes up with another $200+ million for a new arena then he really is the unicorn that the NHL has been searching for so vainly over the past many years.
The Arizona desert: land of rainbows and unicorns!

Old
04-06-2017, 03:55 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that this won't end with the current legislative session. The bill may not get voted on this time around. But come this summer if we see Barroway buy out the minority partners and bring in some fresh money that can front a little more (over 50%) towards an arena on the Coyotes end, they may take another shot at it come next fall. My tin foil hat also has another scenario in mind but I'm leaving that out for now.
You could be right...

If I'm looking to build a $500 million arena and I let it known that I'm only putting in $180 - $200 million, that's just not going to sell with a lot of gov'ts and taxpayers these days. It doesn't look like I'm willing to put a lot of skin in the game... But, for the same arena if I'm willing to put in $300 million, that shows commitment on my part and that I'm looking for a partnership with gov't and not a handout.

So maybe more money will do it,,, but one thing I would still be concerned about is the statement from IA that it will cost ~$25 million to run the place every year. That number just doesn't make sense and has that "subsidy" smell all over it.

Old
04-06-2017, 04:03 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
Phoenix CXXVI: Neither a Barroway nor a LeBlanc Be
Phoenix CXXVI: The Long, Dark Tea-time of the Soul
Phoenix CXXVI: Little Orphan Andy
Phoenix CXXVI: Running to Stand Still
Phoenix CXXVI: Stuck in Desert with You
Definitively Phoenix CXXVI: Stuck in Desert with You

Old
04-06-2017, 04:04 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
I agree with this. They will try again next year, but with more money. Didn't another member of the AZ legislature say that? They'll have a couple months to work on the details if more money comes on board this summer. However if the bill fails next year or new money doesn't come on board this summer, then Barroway's commitment to Arizona will be tested.
What has always perplexed me is the notion that somehow this franchise represents a business opportunity? Perhaps you could enlighten all of us as to what the metrics would look like for this to become an investment opportunity that actually makes sense. The opportunity as I understand it would first involve a minimum of $200MM upfront and would have to generate enough profitability to support those capital costs? The second business opportunity would involve the ultimate relocation of the franchise, or sale in market to a buyer willing to pay Andy (or someone else) a premium over their cost.

Legend, you continue to talk as though there is some economic benefit available to those willing to risk capital on this franchise, as far as i can look I see no viable business and therefore no new capital and certainly no new buyers.

Old
04-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Close enough to the limit...

Closed!

Closed Thread