HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

Old
06-02-2017, 12:54 PM
deadhead

vCash: 500
Kimmo is a good comparison physically.
Kimmo started in the NHL at 23 and really hit his stride at 25.
Friedman will turn 22 in December.

I think Kimmo is a good comparison because Friedman is a gritty small defenseman who plays defense, and not just relies on his skating and scoring skills. Friedman also has a similar body type, and to be successful in the NHL will have to use leverage and positioning to be a two way defenseman - he's not as explosive as Ghost so he'll have to perform at both ends of the ice. Shorter defensemen obviously lack "reach," so they have to use quickness and anticipation to break up plays. Short doesn't mean "weak," if you have a stout body and use leverage you can move bigger players.

Friedman shouldn't need more than 2 AHL seasons at most before pushing for a job if he's a NHL caliber defenseman. Maybe only one if he's as smart as advertised. The AHL will be a good test for him.

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 07:00 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I've got high expectations of Friedman. I liked him from the moment he was drafted and all of his coaches talked about how studious he is with regards to the game. He also played three years at Bowling Green and was a big part of the program turn around there. That might not mean much to some, but a guy who helps change the culture is an important player in the system.

An incredibly smart player, for certain. Personal opinion - I think he's a guy that gets underrated because he doesn't have the size like others or the pedigree/publicity that others have. With that being said, this is a very good hockey player that just seems to make the right plays all the time. Not a lot of flash to his game, just good decisions and makes the safe play. There's room for guys like him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 08:01 PM
RebelBully

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've got high expectations of Friedman. I liked him from the moment he was drafted and all of his coaches talked about how studious he is with regards to the game. He also played three years at Bowling Green and was a big part of the program turn around there. That might not mean much to some, but a guy who helps change the culture is an important player in the system.

An incredibly smart player, for certain. Personal opinion - I think he's a guy that gets underrated because he doesn't have the size like others or the pedigree/publicity that others have. With that being said, this is a very good hockey player that just seems to make the right plays all the time. Not a lot of flash to his game, just good decisions and makes the safe play. There's room for guys like him.
He sounds a lot like Ryan Ellis

RebelBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

Friedman and Hogberg are the two most intriguing prospects in the Flyers system IMO. If one of these guys hits as a top 4, the Flyers are going to have some serious ammo to acquire that final piece when the time is right.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote