HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Riley Sheahan

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
When I saw Sheahan in that spot, my first thought was he scores from there. I think he scored earlier this season from exactly the same spot.
Correct, but without a Colaiakolovoeo screen.

Old
04-14-2014, 11:15 AM
SlavaKozlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
People get faked out by junior/college production. Sheahan hasn't built hype for himself that way, so HF isn't quite up to date on him.
After the Wings drafted Sheahan, I noticed a few cable channels that played Notre Dame games fairly regularly, so I watched several of them his last 2 years there, and he impressed me. I think you are spot on that he hasn't built hype for himself, he is not concerned about the stats or the accolades, he seems to be focused on doing what the coach asks. He played for a demanding defensive system in Notre Dame and let other guys put up offensive numbers while he often played like a 3rd defenseman.

It is like someone else said, he rarely makes mistakes and does what he is supposed to do. There are parts of his game he can improve upon, I'd like to see him be more physical and he can improve on faceoffs, but he looks more like a seasoned pro than a rookie getting his first significant chunk of playing time as an NHL player.

I think a lot of people who were disappointed with his development were concerned about his stats and not actually watching him much. They could have drafted someone with a higher ceiling as an offensive player at that spot, but he was a very safe pick. Looks like a great pick now.

Old
04-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Boomhower

His shot has been the most impressive thing for me.

I knew about his size, skating, and defensive awareness.

But he has a very heavy shot, with a small windup, and gets it off deceptively fast. That shot is quite the weapon and makes him more dangerous in the offensive end than I thought he would be.

Old
04-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
His shot has been the most impressive thing for me.

I knew about his size, skating, and defensive awareness.

But he has a very heavy shot, with a small windup, and gets it off deceptively fast. That shot is quite the weapon and makes him more dangerous in the offensive end than I thought he would be.
His passing/playmaking ability has surprised me more than the shot.

I actually used to frequently bring up the heaviness of his shot when he was criticized for his lack of production, and did point out that it was a tool that could help. He played the point in ND and has a pretty heavy slapper too, to go along with that snapper/wrister.

Old
04-14-2014, 03:26 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
His passing/playmaking ability has surprised me more than the shot.

I actually used to frequently bring up the heaviness of his shot when he was criticized for his lack of production, and did point out that it was a tool that could help. He played the point in ND and has a pretty heavy slapper too, to go along with that snapper/wrister.
Yeah most of the prospect junkies would point this out going back to his ND days where he did hammer the puck from the point. Both Sheahan, Tvrdon, and now Mantha have the ability to play down low on the PP or out high on the point something you have seen them toying with in terms of Franzen lately.

I was a big Sheahan guy and thought he would improve with the talent level and had a chance to be a more consistently offensive Jarret Stoll type, keep in mind Stoll has a season in the 60 point territory. I didn't think his backhand passing would be this good and never really caught glimpses of that, honestly wondering if some of the vets up at the NHL got him trusting that more in practice, he didn't go to it all that often at either ND or with the Griffins and he uses it a lot and with significant damage.

Shot, skating and defense have translated in a large part the way a bunch of us hoped. He does have more offensive IQ and touch than even I as one of his bigger supporters saw coming this quickly. He does play to the talent and speed of his linemates, so he can change paces well and that benefits him as the talent level and IQ has gone up around him.

Old
04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Yeah most of the prospect junkies would point this out going back to his ND days where he did hammer the puck from the point. Both Sheahan, Tvrdon, and now Mantha have the ability to play down low on the PP or out high on the point something you have seen them toying with in terms of Franzen lately.

I was a big Sheahan guy and thought he would improve with the talent level and had a chance to be a more consistently offensive Jarret Stoll type, keep in mind Stoll has a season in the 60 point territory. I didn't think his backhand passing would be this good and never really caught glimpses of that, honestly wondering if some of the vets up at the NHL got him trusting that more in practice, he didn't go to it all that often at either ND or with the Griffins and he uses it a lot and with significant damage.

Shot, skating and defense have translated in a large part the way a bunch of us hoped. He does have more offensive IQ and touch than even I as one of his bigger supporters saw coming this quickly. He does play to the talent and speed of his linemates, so he can change paces well and that benefits him as the talent level and IQ has gone up around him.
This.

Knew about the shot.

Totally pleasantly surprised with the passing (particularly the backhand sauce), hockey IQ, and also finishing in tight around the net.

Really he has just put it all together better and sooner than I could have guessed.

I remember defending him for awhile at ND because of the lack of stats, but I started to lose a bit of faith between last year and early this year.

Old
04-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Claypool
Montreal is garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
When I saw Sheahan in that spot, my first thought was he scores from there. I think he scored earlier this season from exactly the same spot.
Yep. It was against Montreal.

Old
04-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

He doesn't take penalties.

Closed Thread