HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

Best OHL venues

Old
03-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Best OHL venues

My brother and I are planning a trip next season once the schedules come out to catch the Flyers play in either Montreal (preferably as neither of us have been there) or Toronto maybe Ottawa and while we are up there - we would like to catch a couple OHL games before heading south. Not having A rooting interest in any particular teams we were hoping to visit a couple nice towns with fun stuff to do and a couple cool buildings with some history maybe.

In the interest of mileage teams in the east Division would be preferable.

Thanks for any advice

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:18 AM
MrBeakster

A good place to start: http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/

MrBeakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
bidzey

well I can tell you where not to go... and before I do, I have the right to say this because I live here... and this is Sudbury. If I didn't have a dream job here I probably would've moved a long time ago. Nothing here as far as cool buildings or interseting things to see. You'll also kill your car from all the salt. There's more salt on our roads in the winter time than there is in the ocean.

I must give this town 1 upside, if your a woodsman like me and like the outdoors, you could go fishing on a choice of about 50 lakes, there's also a couple of nice walking trails in the forest. That's about as interesting as it get around here.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

If you come to Ottawa, forget about the OHL. Go to a game in Gatineau! OHL arenas are libraries compared to the Q.

The Civic Centre in Ottawa is a pretty good OHL venue (if you don't mind picking bits of ceiling out of your hair), but it has nothing on the Bob (Centre Robert Guertin).

Montréal gives you Boisbriand (just north of Montréal), Drummondville, Victoriaville (a fun team to watch, if you don't have a vested interest in the other team), Shawinigan, and maybe even Québec within fairly easy range. Hull too, of course! Victo also has a Wilfred Laurier museum.

If you're really tied to the OHL, for some reason, the K-Rock Centre is brand new and pretty nice, but the Frontenacs are terrible, so there isn't that much in the way of atmosphere. It is a pretty nice city though.

Edit - If you're coming up next season, Sherbrooke also isn't prohibitively far from Montréal.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:12 AM
MisterDB

I know I am a bit biased but Kingston would be a good arena to see and not out of your way. It is a new arena and you do not need to get tickets in advance. There are a lot of great seats even at centre ice available.

The Frontenacs will be a much different team that has played in Kingston for a long time. To give you and idea why, here from another thread is the BluePrint that Gilmour and Gill have for this team.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1154995

MisterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:14 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
If you come to Ottawa, forget about the OHL. Go to a game in Gatineau! OHL arenas are libraries compared to the Q.

The Civic Centre in Ottawa is a pretty good OHL venue (if you don't mind picking bits of ceiling out of your hair), but it has nothing on the Bob (Centre Robert Guertin).

Montréal gives you Boisbriand (just north of Montréal), Drummondville, Victoriaville (a fun team to watch, if you don't have a vested interest in the other team), Shawinigan, and maybe even Québec within fairly easy range. Hull too, of course! Victo also has a Wilfred Laurier museum.

If you're really tied to the OHL, for some reason, the K-Rock Centre is brand new and pretty nice, but the Frontenacs are terrible, so there isn't that much in the way of atmosphere. It is a pretty nice city though.

The civic center hold a ton of history and for some that is very appealing.

Edit - If you're coming up next season, Sherbrooke also isn't prohibitively far from Montréal.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
It still has nothing on the Bob. If you're trying to compare championships, 2 Memorial Cups and 3 Robertson Cups to 1 Memorial Cup and 7 President's Cups. One way or the other, we're both cornerstones of our respective leagues. Great players have come from both. The Bob was also the original home of the 67's (the Civic Centre wasn't finished yet).

Besides that, the 67's are playing out of Scotiabank Place for the next two seasons.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:29 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
It still has nothing on the Bob. If you're trying to compare championships, 2 Memorial Cups and 3 Robertson Cups to 1 Memorial Cup and 7 President's Cups. One way or the other, we're both cornerstones of our respective leagues. Great players have come from both. The Bob was also the original home of the 67's (the Civic Centre wasn't finished yet).

Besides that, the 67's are playing out of Scotiabank Place for the next two seasons.
At the major jr level i would agree but the over all picture the civic center does hold alot of history be it the Ottawa Nationals of the wha the many boxing events the list goes on and on.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:35 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Hit the nicest rink in the entire CHL with tons of downtown bars to hit

the JLC in London.

want cool old buildings?..hit the Jack Gatecliffe in St Catherine's

want history...hit the Aud in Kitchener

you can't go wrong with any OHL rink along the 401 corridor.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
At the major jr level i would agree but the over all picture the civic center does hold alot of history be it the Ottawa Nationals of the wha the many boxing events the list goes on and on.
I never said that the Civic Centre doesn't hold a lot of history, but if he's looking for atmosphere, the Bob > The Civic Centre, AINEC.

Sadly, we're but a footnote in the history of the WHA.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
pagetheaj

I've been to four....five if you include St. Mike's in Toronto that was the most delightful little arena with no backs or individual seats in the country. The best thing to do is do a tour of all of them, but yeah, like has been already said, the JLC is pretty spiffy, Hershey Centre is pretty nice. I've also heard the arenas in Erie and Saginaw have great atmosphere with the Americans who don't care if you think they're being too loud.

pagetheaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetheaj View Post
I've also heard the arenas in Erie and Saginaw have great atmosphere with the Americans who don't care if you think they're being too loud.
People in Peterborough glare at you if you actually yell. They even glared at my Petes fan wife for cheering loudly!

The Bob, while loud at most times, is deafening in the playoffs. We like to go to other arenas to show 'em how it's done.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Shootmaster_44

I've never been but Brampton sounds like it would be a fun atmosphere. From what I've read they really do up the military stuff during the game. Seems to me they fire off a cannon when they score and other military themed things all game.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
I've never been but Brampton sounds like it would be a fun atmosphere. From what I've read they really do up the military stuff during the game. Seems to me they fire off a cannon when they score and other military themed things all game.
Not to mention their scary-ass drill sergeant mascot!

Old
04-19-2012, 09:33 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Well that's the first time I've ever heard Brampton and "fun atmosphere" in the same sentence. They do a few military inspired things during the game (one minute to ceasefire, for example) but there are a lot of OHL barns that are a lot more fun.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
May Day 10

Brampton is awful. Unless you like a lot of space and not a lot of crowd atmosphere.

Best bet is St Catherines (Niagara). Amazing, small, packed arena and the people are insane and 50% have noisemakers. There is a percussion band in the crowd. It only seats 3,100, but it is tight and you are right on top of the action. The rink itself is tiny which allows the teams to go end to end in no time. The seats are wood, double fold down seats. A lot of nooks and crannys in the arena.

Only has a season or two left. Go there as it is a dying breed.

May Day 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:02 AM
OHLArenaGuide

I've been to games in 27 OHL buildings past and present, and if I had a three-day weekend to watch OHL games, I would go to some combination of Niagara, Kitchener, Belleville, Peterborough, Saginaw or Sudbury. They are six older buildings with decent atmospheres that aren't just your generic sports and entertainment centres.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
I've been to games in 27 OHL buildings past and present, and if I had a three-day weekend to watch OHL games, I would go to some combination of Niagara, Kitchener, Belleville, Peterborough, Saginaw or Sudbury. They are six older buildings with decent atmospheres that aren't just your generic sports and entertainment centres.
Peterborough? The average age of a Petes crowd is about 60, and everyone glares at you if you make any sort of noise. I'd have been okay if they were just glaring at me (in full Barberpole), but they were glaring at my Petes fan wife (in full Maroon & White regalia) too! I guess Olympiques fans are just too rowdy for Peterborough's taste...

Old
04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
dereksutton9

Without the constraint of time or distance, I would say the must see arenas for atmosphere and facility are:

1. The Aud (Kitchener) - Good historic feel with good building energy.
2. JLC (London) - Two level CHL arena is impressive no matter how annoying the fans are (lol).
3. Civic Center (Ottawa) - Odd shaped building worth seeing.

For the original question, I would think if he lands in Toronto, then you go to Niagara, Oshawa and Mississauga or Brampton. Niagara would probably be the best overall experience and there's no reason to go to both sucky Mississauga and Brampton arenas although at least tickets would be VERY easy.

If it were Ottawa, I'd look to hit Ottawa and Gatineau as well as maybe hit Belleville and Kingston. I would definitely consider staying in Gatineau.

As well, if I were the original poster, I'd look at rosters and see what players I'd like to catch in a OHL arena. Nothing like seeing NHL players at OHL prices (well most OHL prices).

Of course, with what they want to do, they'll be at the mercy of the schedule. Regardless, good luck and hope it all works out.

dereksutton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Peterborough? The average age of a Petes crowd is about 60, and everyone glares at you if you make any sort of noise. I'd have been okay if they were just glaring at me (in full Barberpole), but they were glaring at my Petes fan wife (in full Maroon & White regalia) too! I guess Olympiques fans are just too rowdy for Peterborough's taste...
It's definitely not the loudest building in the world, but you can just feel the history, and there's not a bad seat in the house. It's very intimate, even if it's not very loud.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
battfan888

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Well that's the first time I've ever heard Brampton and "fun atmosphere" in the same sentence. They do a few military inspired things during the game (one minute to ceasefire, for example) but there are a lot of OHL barns that are a lot more fun.

HEY!
...... stop speaking the truth like that!

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:39 PM
AcrossThePond

You're not incredibly far from Erie, where next season, they'll have the stud, Connor McDavid and (when the arena is actually full!) the Otters apparently have the loudest fans in the OHL.

Cannot go wrong with Niagara, Oshawa, Ottawa, Belleville and Kingston. Kingston has some fantastic scenery; check out their 1000 islands.

AcrossThePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:48 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
For someone who's been to nearly half the OHL's arenas, here's my best and worst:

Best overall: JLC(London). NHL arena to half-scale is the best way to describe it. A close second is the WFCU Centre in Windsor...steep seating, good overall presentation.

Best atmosphere: Niagara. Yes, the arena's old, etc. But you can FEEL the crowd when the game is going...and there's an edge to them as well.(In a GOOD way, I must add.) Erie is a close second. And they will soon be blessed with a MUCH better arena to work with...and it will always be the Tullio to me, even if Erie Insurance put its name on the arena.

Worst: Compuware(Plymouth). This is how NOT to do hockey; put a rink into a building that can double as a Wal Mart. Plus, you'll be punished by hearing the worst PA announcer I've ever heard in my life.

Not too far behind: Brampton/Mississauga(tie). Not the arenas themselves...they're OK. But there is no passion or energy in those places. It's like going to church half the time.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote