HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena discussion, vol. XII

Old
07-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlaw97 View Post
Forget about Seattle. A much larger market with a NHL ready arena will soon be available in Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
The Seattle process is annoying and takes to long. With the Rockets for sale, Seattle might have to wait for the NHL to be ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
nope, Houston isn't cleared yet..... Seattle is ahead of Houston logistically.
Clearing Houston, upon an ownership change, will be quicker than waiting for Seattle to get their arena built...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 08:44 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

vCash: 500
Seattle Mayoral candidates on the arena

Video viewing this morning. Last night, KING-TV hosted a debate among the top challengers for the open mayor's chair this fall, and after the debate wrapped up, KING's Chris Daniels interviewed some of the candidates about their views on the arena projects. Here's the three he posted on Twitter.

Jessyn Farrell, in support of SoDo:
snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Clearing Houston, upon an ownership change, will be quicker than waiting for Seattle to get their arena built...
Agreed. The supposed front runner Tilman Fertitta, is a billionaire and open to hockey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Video viewing this morning. Last night, KING-TV hosted a debate among the top challengers for the open mayor's chair this fall, and after the debate wrapped up, KING's Chris Daniels interviewed some of the candidates about their views on the arena projects. Here's the three he posted on Twitter.

Jessyn Farrell, in support of SoDo:
Durkan strikes me as someone that will say whatever they have to say to get in. Weak answer. Mike McGinn is the best option. He's already done the job.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 09:30 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Durkan strikes me as someone that will say whatever they have to say to get in. Weak answer. Mike McGinn is the best option. He's already done the job.
And yet, Durkan is seen as the candidate to beat, although her being endorsed by Murray in light of the latest trouble for him may end up being an Achillies' heel. You're right, though, McGinn is the candidate a lot of pro-SoDo people are supporting in this election because he does have a record of supporting the project as the previous mayor, and have confidence in him finishing the job.

I'm expecting it to be Durkan vs. McGinn for the fall.

Old
07-18-2017, 10:30 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Agreed. The supposed front runner Tilman Fertitta, is a billionaire and open to hockey.

The problem is McGinn is all in on SoDo.

I think Hansen has a Hockey problem at SoDo.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
And yet, Durkan is seen as the candidate to beat, although her being endorsed by Murray in light of the latest trouble for him may end up being an Achillies' heel. You're right, though, McGinn is the candidate a lot of pro-SoDo people are supporting in this election because he does have a record of supporting the project as the previous mayor, and have confidence in him finishing the job.

I'm expecting it to be Durkan vs. McGinn for the fall.
Me as well, and I hope McGinn comes through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
The problem is McGinn is all in on SoDo.

I think Hansen has a Hockey problem at SoDo.
Hansen has an everything problem at Sodo. I personally believe the NBA already has people lined up with OVG at Key Arena because of what happened with the Kings.

I think Seattle better make a decision as well. I think if the NHL gets a chance in Houston, they will take it and make Seattle wait longer.

Old
07-18-2017, 10:35 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I heard him say it on a podcast. I believe it was Sonics Rising.
I don't believe Hansen has ever said that, And he definitely did not say it on Sonics Rising.

Old
07-18-2017, 10:36 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:

I think Seattle better make a decision as well. I think if the NHL gets a chance in Houston, they will take it and make Seattle wait longer.
I think things will move very quickly at the Key, based on conversations we have had and statements from elected officials. Seattle could be a natural landing spot for the Yotes as well if that falls through in Arizona.

Old
07-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
I think things will move very quickly at the Key, based on conversations we have had and statements from elected officials
Most likely. We'll see. I think Hansen really needs to get people on side and make a serious commitment to the NHL.

Old
07-18-2017, 02:07 PM
jbron

No question the NBA is on hold as far as Seattle goes. So between
SODO or OVG/ Key whichever can produce an NHL commitment that's who will get the arena. The odds are against Hansen as he was so pro NBA and did little or no work looking for an NHL team. On the other hand OVG has the connections and has made the NHL a sports priority for the remolded Key Arena.

As far as the future mayor candidates it's all about the primary and then the election. Neither McGinn nor Durkin are going to stick their neck out and push one arena plan or the other. More importantly they aren't going to stop one either. The main issues are the homeless, raising rents, and transportation. The arena is way down the list of their priorities hence what they say right now means nothing.

Houston is a valid concern and this becomes more of a time issue with Seattle. That's always the issue with Seattle City Council as the time it takes them to get anything decided and implemented is too long. With Murray remaining in office that could be a good thing as he has said that he wants to move Key project along before he leaves office.

jbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:18 PM
aqib

Quote:
I don't believe Hansen has ever said that, And he definitely did not say it on Sonics Rising.
I don't recall where he said, but I did hear him say in a podcast that an NHL owner would be in for half including putting up half the cost.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:32 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
I don't recall where he said, but I did hear him say in a podcast that an NHL owner would be in for half including putting up half the cost.
Which doesn't seem all that surprising considering there was a group considering a plan to build their own place in Tukwila. Them getting together with Sodo doesn't seem too out of the ordinary.

07-18-2017, 06:48 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Which doesn't seem all that surprising considering there was a group considering a plan to build their own place in Tukwila. Them getting together with Sodo doesn't seem too out of the ordinary.
Yeah but for some reason Superdeluxe thinks I am lying.

Old
07-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Quote:
I bet he just said it in a different way.

Old
07-20-2017, 04:13 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
If you could provide some sort of link or even a blog post saying what you are claiming, I would believe you. I mean you make a pretty big claim, and don't offer up one link to a story or anything attributing this too. Plus you originally said you heard it on SonicsRising podcast and that wasn't correct.

Old
07-20-2017, 04:19 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

City of Seattle names Arena Community Advisory Group:

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/7/...advisory-group

Included are the leaders of the Sonics Fans movement, Brian Robinson Founder of Sonics Rising and of Note, John Barr of NHL to Seattle.

This is a big deal because John Barr has been pretty much the Fan Voice for NHL to Seattle, it is good to see NHL representation at this Advisory Group.

Full Disclosure, I do have a working relationship with Sonics Rising.

Old
07-20-2017, 06:01 PM
aqib

Quote:
If you could provide some sort of link or even a blog post saying what you are claiming, I would believe you. I mean you make a pretty big claim, and don't offer up one link to a story or anything attributing this too. Plus you originally said you heard it on SonicsRising podcast and that wasn't correct.
It took a while because when you google Chris Hansen sonics podcast 141K links come up but here it is. It Seattle Growth

http://seattlegrowthpodcast.com/s2ep10_hansen/

Old
07-20-2017, 06:54 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
It took a while because when you google Chris Hansen sonics podcast 141K links come up but here it is. It Seattle Growth

http://seattlegrowthpodcast.com/s2ep10_hansen/
Thanks!

Old
Yesterday, 03:35 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan