HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Possible Black Friday walkout at Walmart

Old
12-03-2013, 04:14 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
The last time I checked, alcohol is legal for all people of legal drinking age, not just people who are not on government assistance. But I forgot that it's A-OK for an exec to get sloshed at power lunches and break into the late afternoon whiskey stash in his desk, but if some sad sack making 16 grand at Walmart or McDonald's and supplementing that income with some welfare assistance wants a few beers to forget about how ****** life is, well then he's just a leech.

As for the drug thing, [bI believe Florida started testing welfare recipients and only returning positive tests on 2% of them.[/b]It seems as though your image of welfare recipients comes from that old Reagan canard about the Chicago welfare queen. I'm guessing you have no idea what percentage of welfare and food stamp recipients are children, or newly unemployed, or fully employed, or working multiple jobs. Perhaps you ought to learn the facts about the country in which you reside, rather than allowing politicians and right wing media figures to sculpt an alternate reality.
It also cost Florida more money to administer the tests than they recouped from not paying welfare to those who tested positive.

But whatever, if we stop just one welfare queen from spending her money on drugs, it's worth the cost, amirite?

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
The last time I checked, alcohol is legal for all people of legal drinking age, not just people who are not Mon government assistance. But I forgot that it's A-OK for an exec to get sloshed at power lunches and break into the late afternoon whiskey stash in his desk, but if some sad sack making 16 grand at Walmart or McDonald's and supplementing that income with some welfare assistance wants a few beers to forget about how ****** life is, well then he's just a leech.

As for the drug thing, I believe Florida started testing welfare recipients and only returning positive tests on 2% of them. It seems as though your image of welfare recipients comes from that old Reagan canard about the Chicago welfare queen. I'm guessing you have no idea what percentage of welfare and food stamp recipients are children, or newly unemployed, or fully employed, or working multiple jobs. Perhaps you ought to learn the facts about the country in which you reside, rather than allowing politicians and right wing media figures to sculpt an alternate reality.
At least we have hockey fan hood in common. I do work two jobs,btw

Hnidy Hnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Bottom line. If you have money for booze and drugs, you can afford food. Knock yourself out. Drink away, snort away, but why make me fork the bill if you can't afford food because of your habits? I drink, but I wouldn't if it meant not putting food on the table

Hnidy Hnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
Bottom line. If you have money for booze and drugs, you can afford food. Drink away, snort away, but why make me fork the bill?
Who is this directed to?

Kind of a no **** comment, isn't it?

Easy to criticize, but let's fix it.

Let's talk about access to drug rehab programs for welfare users, or better job counselling? Maybe even some psychotherapy?

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Who is this directed to?

Kind of a no **** comment, isn't it?

Easy to criticize, but let's fix it.

Let's talk about access to drug rehab programs for welfare users, or better job counselling? Maybe even some psychotherapy?
That would just make them more dependent. They should follow in the footsteps of heroic fellow Americans like Donald Trump and Mitt Romney and start pulling on these.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Bottom line. If you have money for booze and drugs, you can afford food. Knock yourself out. Drink away, snort away, but why make me fork the bill if you can't afford food because of your habits? I drink, but I wouldn't if it meant not putting food on the table
So, some poor dude is hanging in the hood and someone gives him a beer or a toke and you want to deny him food so that he can live by your morals? It's stupid. Food stamps are barely enough to live on and can only be used for food where I live since they are on cards now. If the person can sell a person a loaf of bread on the street so he can get high more power to him. It's the exception, not the rule.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:34 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
I mean, if I shop at Walmart yesterday but I go back today because I forgot to buy toilet paper, would I be counted as one customer in that particular week or two?
two.. but even if there are people going twice a week, thats a mimum 50,000,000 individuals every week.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
So, some poor dude is hanging in the hood and someone gives him a beer or a toke and you want to deny him food so that he can live by your morals? It's stupid. Food stamps are barely enough to live on and can only be used for food where I live since they are on cards now. If the person can sell a person a loaf of bread on the street so he can get high more power to him. It's the exception, not the rule.
Yeah it's not like they hand you actual cash. In Illinois you get a Link (no Zelda) card for your grocery purchase. I mean I guess an addict can put it on collateral for their fix, but this fantasy that the bulk of people on stamps are gaming the system is a far-right fantasy.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
It also cost Florida more money to administer the tests than they recouped from not paying welfare to those who tested positive.

But whatever, if we stop just one welfare queen from spending her money on drugs, it's worth the cost, amirite?
Not to mentioned the added crime that would result from cutting people off of welfare, which means more court costs as well.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
It's pretty bizarre that you are focused on the small number of people who receive welfare assistance and abuse drugs or alcohol, and not the large companies which pay tens of millions of Americans a non-livable wage for full time work, meaning that tens of billions of taxpayer dollars are being used to allow employees of fast food and retail companies to afford food and medicine and housing. All while the owners and execs in said companies rake in billions/millions.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The largest welfare queens in America: the Walton family.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
The largest welfare queens in America: the Walton family.
It's amazing how far they've come!

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Washington DC city council approved a phased hike of their minimum wage from $8.25 to $11.50 by 2016. Sweet.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

What a terrible thing. This is awesome and things are great, right?

Old
12-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

So let's go!!!!!!!!

Old
12-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo