HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Garage
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Garage Your one stop shop to discuss all your transportation needs and interests. From car repair to how to read a train schedule.

Do People Still Use Chiltons?

Old
05-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1952
Do People Still Use Chiltons?

I haven't found any repair I need to do not demonstrated in a youtube video.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
I'm listening to Alex Chilton, if that counts.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 04:28 PM
six sigma
Someone check Eddie

vCash: 500
I used a huge Bentley manual (not the car) on my previous GTI in conjunction with the youtube videos. YT often forgets to give you torque specs for your fasteners.

Now that I have a new one I just use YT and various enthusiast sites.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 04:53 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I haven't found any repair I need to do not demonstrated in a youtube video.
Exactly. But I do still have the Factory manuals for al my vehicles, 2 were downloaded from car forums.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 05:01 PM
HansonBro

I have many leather bound Chiltons that smell of rich mahogany

HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Ozz

I've got one from many years ago for my '90s Mustang, the wiring diagrams come in very handy when you rip the engine harness out, lengthen it, and re-route it through the dash. Things like that which few people will ever need to know, you won't find videos about.

The Mustang community is gigantic and so many incredibly-detailed, color-coded, and easily attainable diagram images have been created to help people in the same way or better. Basically tech guys create images that tie various wiring harnesses together so you can see how things 'really work'. Those have been invaluable as well.

For my newer cars, I've been able to find/download the shop tech manuals from enthusiast sites just the same. While not Chilton's, they're mostly similar.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I've got one from many years ago for my '90s Mustang, the wiring diagrams come in very handy when you rip the engine harness out, lengthen it, and re-route it through the dash. Things like that which few people will ever need to know, you won't find videos about.

The Mustang community is gigantic and so many incredibly-detailed, color-coded, and easily attainable diagram images have been created to help people in the same way or better. Basically tech guys create images that tie various wiring harnesses together so you can see how things 'really work'. Those have been invaluable as well.

For my newer cars, I've been able to find/download the shop tech manuals from enthusiast sites just the same. While not Chilton's, they're mostly similar.
I would have loved something like that when I was working on my cousin's truck, trying to install a stereo. I found a basic wiring diagram, but the colour codes for the speakers were reused for other wires, in the SAME bundle of wires... and the wires would switch colours at different locations in the truck - ie, a green-green/black pair from the amplifier would change to a red/white-red/white pair at the door. And that original green-green/black pair met with other wires before making it to the door, and was bundled with two other green-green/black pairs.

It was seriously as if whoever engineered the truck's wiring was trying his hardest to **** off any aftermarket workers.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 06:04 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
We don't suck?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I used a huge Bentley manual (not the car) on my previous GTI in conjunction with the youtube videos. YT often forgets to give you torque specs for your fasteners.

Now that I have a new one I just use YT and various enthusiast sites.
Ya I just check car forums too. There's always someone knowledgeable about whatever it is you need to know

05-20-2017, 07:31 AM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya I just check car forums too. There's always someone knowledgeable about whatever it is you need to know
I search the forums,check youtube and consult my manuals. A lot of times there are valuable tips and timesavers in the forums you don't see in the manual.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 10:08 PM
six sigma
Someone check Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I search the forums,check youtube and consult my manuals. A lot of times there are valuable tips and timesavers in the forums you don't see in the manual.
Definitely, like when you absolutely need that specific-use tool, or if you can make one out of something you may have laying around.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote