HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Quick Winning Jennings Trophy...

Old
04-15-2014, 05:33 PM
vippe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane One View Post
Does anyone really care? Who cares if you want to consider it a team award or not. Does it change anything? Is anyone saying, "omg Quick is so awesome he won the Jennings!"? I don't remember anyone talking about how good a goalie is because they won the Jennings.
Oh jeez... it's a forum for crying out loud. I thought it was worthy of a discussion. Nothing we say here change anything, I dont care if anyone think Quick is awesome because he won the Jennings or not. I was expressing my opinion about the award, not Quick, you obviously dont like it for some reason. That's fine, your response was not.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 06:09 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
If you really believe Quick is constantly criticized like it seems like you do from this post and the SJ-LA playoff thread, you either live in fantasy HF or have the world's biggest victim complex. The guy gets one free pass after another.
He gets one free pass after another? Hes not an elite goalie because he doesnt play in the regular season like he does in the playoffs. Hes not elite because hes only had onr good playoff. Hes not elite because the team carries him etc etc etc.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 06:18 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Except the Conn Smythe was Quick carrying the Kings on his back, remember. HF can't figure out whether Quick carries the Kings or the other way around.
Either way, Quick is usually the last person to give credit to himself.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 07:07 PM
redcard

When Quick wins a game the first thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."
When Quick gets a shutout first thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."
When Quick sets a record first thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."
When Quick makes breakfast first thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."
When Quick brushes his teeth the second thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."

Makes this kind of discussion rather pointless.

I also don't think I've ever heard somebody use "he won a Jennings" in an argument.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 07:46 PM
volcom92886

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
When Quick wins a game the first thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."
When Quick gets a shutout first thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."
When Quick sets a record first thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."
When Quick makes breakfast first thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."
When Quick brushes his teeth the second thing out of his mouth is "it was a team effort."

Makes this kind of discussion rather pointless.

I also don't think I've ever heard somebody use "he won a Jennings" in an argument.
He is also the first one to take the blame for the Kings losing a game or giving up a goal. He is one of the most humble players and best teammates in the NHL.

volcom92886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 07:52 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I think the 25 game minimum is pretty steep. Make it 15 or so. Scrivens and Jones both deserve recognition for their contribution.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 08:00 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Doty View Post
Obviously a team award but why miss a good chance to take a veiled shot at Quick?
well said

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 08:10 PM
scryan

Everyone goes on about the "oh is it a team award, is it personal... ect..."

Its not hard.

Originally the Vezina was given under this definition. They rated the goalies off goals against starting in 46, probably because all the stats weren't there and they wanted it to be definitive.
Obviously over time it becomes apparent that this definition isn't the best way of ranking goalies... and in 81 they finally changed how the vezina was awarded.
Instead of throwing away the current goalie award, they changed its name to the William Jennings... Then they made the Vezina more representative of the best goaltender.

And so we end up with an award for the team who allows the fewest goals, with the goalies name on it because it was originally an award for the goalie.

Is it so hard to rap your head around the fact that they put the goalies name on the team's award. Not really that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I think the 25 game minimum is pretty steep. Make it 15 or so. Scrivens and Jones both deserve recognition for their contribution.
I mean, I'd be fine with them switching to the team name... Especially if they wanna start that next year and leave Quick as last goalie ever on it
But its meant to be about consistency over a full season, not about looking at 1/6th of the season.

25 games is basically a playoff run. We all know a goalie cannot be called the greatest based off just 1 playoff run right?

Last edited by scryan: 04-15-2014 at 08:15 PM.
scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 09:05 PM
KingsHockey24

Why must someone always complain.

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 02:33 AM
Nose of Sutter

Moral victory.